Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

hannioli
Beginner April 2012

Venue Booked - Yay! Now for wedding insurance...

hannioli, 27 April, 2011 at 22:14 Posted on Planning 0 16

So, firstly.... YAY!!!! We booked our venue last week and therefore have our wedding date now!! ? After a slight hiccup last year with h2b being made redundant and therefore the wedding postponed, we're now getting married on 20th April 2012!! So excited and nervous!

Little flash of our venue, before I get on to my question, so self-indulgent, but bear with me!

So now that we've booked the venue and have paid the deposit, I think it's time for wedding insurance, but I'm a little confused by it... :/

How do you decide what level of cover you need? For example if I went with the below from E&L, would that cover a wedding that I would expect to cost £3k...?

Band 1 Cancellation and Expenses £3,000 Supplier Deposits £5,000 Wedding Attire £4,000 Photographs £3,000 Video or DVD £3,000 Presents £4,000 Rings £3,000 Cake £3,000 Personal Accident £8,500 Wedding Cars and Transport £4,500 Professional Counselling £400 Legal Expenses £6,500 Public Liability £2m Wedding Flowers £3,000 Wedding Stationery £1,000 Luggage and Property £750 Wedding Documents £1,000

16 replies

Latest activity by hannioli, 5 May, 2011 at 18:23
  • skyrocket
    Beginner July 2012
    skyrocket ·
    • Hide content

Please don't touch E & L! I have a horse and they also do horse insurance and are the cheapest etc. They NEVER pay out if something goes wrong! Honestly just google them!

I would like to know too of a decent insurance company as I need insurance but please don't waste your money on E & L

xxxx

• Gbutterfly
    Beginner July 2012
    Gbutterfly ·
    • Hide content

Great news on booking the venue. I second the comment about E & L, cheap but the bad reviews are why we didn't go with them, we went with debenhams cover. And you're getting married on my birthday, yay! Smiley smile

• Hollie1984
    Beginner July 2012
    Hollie1984 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

Congrats on your venue and date!! very exciting!

Another one against E&L, i googled them when looking into insurance and all i found is bad reviews. I ended up buying Debenhams insurance it was around £50 and if you buy it through Quidco you get £15 cashback (which I have just received) so thats an added bonus.

I was also confused with the amounts, from how we understood it was if for any reason you needed to cancel/postpone it you would get up to £3,000 for your venue etc, then up to £5,000 for your deposits etc etc. Hope that makes sense!!

H

xx

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

I've decided not to take out insurance on my wedding. Some people think it's risky, but tbh, the only reason my day will be cancelled is if it snows so heavily that no one can get there. And no insurance will pay out for that.

• CardiffInvitations
    CardiffInvitations ·
    • Hide content

No advice about insurance but just wanted to say how lush your venue looks!

Anna

• helenparki
    Dedicated June 2027
    helenparki ·
    • Hide content

I've got my wedding insurance from http://www.weddingplaninsurance.co.uk/index.html

P.S - Fab venue! Love it!

• tonileehall
    Beginner August 2012
    tonileehall ·
    • Hide content

I am an insurance broker, and would highly recommend anyone to take out insurance in this current climate - mainly for companies going into liquidation than anything else. It would be devasting if you spent alot of time deciding and paying for something, only for the company to go bust and you lose everything and stat again.

Although you would be very very unlucky for this to happen with more than one vendor, I would stll recommend it.

I would also recommend a policy with Ecclesiastical. Although we do not deal with wedding insurance in my company, we deal with them commercially and they are great.

The cancellation and expenses sum at £3,000 will be anything not specifically list lower. So would cover venue and food etc

• M
    Beginner March 2012
    mrs a to be ·
    • Hide content

My OH doesnt want me to bother with insurance but i was about to buy one with E&L - until now!!! thanks for the advice!

• MrsCoco
    MrsCoco ·
    • Hide content

No advice on the insurance but is this Crondon Park? If so it's a lovely venue, been to several weddings there and can recommend some suppliers in the area if you need them ?

Congratulations on setting the date, bet you're thrilled! xxx

• mrsgreatbatch2b
    Beginner July 2012
    mrsgreatbatch2b ·
    • Hide content

I booked mine as soon as I paid my deposit on my venue.

I'm with Debenhams. I wouldn't go with E&L, only ever heard bad reports about them.

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

I would recommend insurance, it's always the circumstances you would never imagine i.e groom/bride parent etc.. taken ill, as well as the usual horros such as suppliers or venue going bust that could arise and put you in a position to have to claim or change your wedding date.

I went with John Lewis.

• Random Name
    Random Name ·
    • Hide content

Oh crap! My insurance is with E&L! ? My OH works for the Financial Ombudsmans so if we need to claim and they dont pay out I will get hubby on the case.

Your venue is stunning!

• MrandMrsFord
    Beginner November 2011
    MrandMrsFord ·
    • Hide content

I too have a horse and wouldn't touch E&L!! I use petplan and they are ALWAYS fantastic! Smiley smile

I'm yet to get wedding insurance but we are gonna go through john lewis Smiley smile

• hannioli
    Beginner April 2012
    hannioli ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the replies everyone Smiley smile sorry, about the late reply myself, been in Newquay for our anniversary, which also doubles as our engagement aniversary ^_^

Ooh, thanks for the advice about E&L :/ I'll have a look at the weddingplan one and Debenhams tomorrow, bit frazzled from the journey back and I still can't get my head around their plans, so I think a call is in order!

• hannioli
    Beginner April 2012
    hannioli ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi MrsCoco, I completely missed your post, can't have been with it when I posted! Yes, it is Crondon Park Smiley smile Yes, please to recommending some suppliers, that would be fantastic!

I am very excited, though getting nervous as need to save up the money and there's less than a year to go, eeeep!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics