Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

InWineTheresTruth
Beginner July 2015

venue booze is really expensive!

InWineTheresTruth, 5 of October of 2013 at 17:51 Posted on Planning 0 21

So we have found a venue that we really like and that can offer the flexibility we are after in terms of it not being a package etc. .. They have worked out a completely bespoke deal for us. The ceremony room can have 100 guests, we can have our late (ish) ceremony, it's all on one site, it has a lovely spa (for treatments in the morning since wedding is not until 5pm), they are willing to do "bowl" food even though it's not something they usually offer, lots of FOC stuff (including candelabra centre pieces) even managed to get the guest room rate down from £179 to £99 .... They are really accommodating and get back to my (numerous! ) email queries quickly . .. It's not a traditional country house hotel ... It's more of a boutique hotel but it's very me and suits my first idea of an old school Hollywood glamour theme (just a nod to it not full on) we have got ceremony room, drinks reception with canapés and evening bowl food for 100 guests for under 5k .... I am really happy with the place ..... but ........ The bar prices are extortionate! ! Beers are £4.50 a bottle and wine £6 a glass .... We are providing beers, prosecco and mojitos for the drinks reception and banking on 2/3 drinks a person during that 90 mins but it will be a cash bar after that .... This is what is putting me off booking as I am worried people will moan and be upset by the bar prices but really can't afford a free bar. The guests will be paying for their own drinks for 4.5 hours .

So I'm wondering what the bar prices are like or were like at your weddings and also would you be really unhappy with paying what my venue charges for booze? Maybe I just have not been out much recently but these are what I would call "London" prices and seem expensive and being a guest at weddings costs so much anyway these days ....I would welcome comments as I'm worrying its selfish for us to get such a posh venue on the cheap and have our guests spending loads. My sister says it's a non issue and that we are providing drinks for some of the time and people won't expect more but I would be gutted if all people remembered about our big day was how dear it was! !

21 replies

Latest activity by jnwindel, 10 of October of 2013 at 11:36
  • Cat In A Teacup
    Beginner August 2015
    Cat In A Teacup ·
    • Hide content

Is there anyway that you could put some money behind the bar to lower the price of the drinks overall? This is something that we are considering doing as we would love a free bar but can't quite stretch that far.

• InWineTheresTruth
    Beginner July 2015
    InWineTheresTruth ·
    • Hide content

Had not even thought of that ... Not sure how it would work in principal but I will look into it xx Thanks xx

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Personally I am used to such prices as I live in London, I know you refer to the bar prices as London prices, is your venue in London?

Ours was a London wedding and bar prices higher than you mentioned, we brought everyone their first drink (beer or wine) in the evening and was a cash bar after that.

I soooo badly wanted to have a free bar in the evening but we just couldn't stretch to it.

I admit I was worried that people would not drink because of the prices and have a negative impact on the atmosphere but couldn't be more wrong I think people expected such prices at our venue and the bar was always packed (plus I think there was a few bag bars going on too ? )

Personally I think by providing some free booze as you are makes higher bar prices slightly more acceptable.

• ~Curley~
    Beginner August 2014
    ~Curley~ ·
    • Hide content

That is really expensive and not what I would expect to pay on a night out. However, I think most people expect prices to be a little higher at a wedding venue and although I would moan (or should I say the drink fetcher - the OH) I'm to dedicated to my wine not to pay it! I would visit the place on a norml evening and see what the prices are like or see if they can do you a special offer such as 2-4-1 bride and groom cocktail, doubles for a extra £1 ect. Do your research and find out what the cheapest drinks are and let your guests know. Could include a little menu for the bar with prices on. That way guest can budget accordingly.

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

Is it a swanky venue and where is the venue? I'm a London/Surrey girl so these prices seem pretty normal to me for somewhere a bit swanky.

Could you put some money behind bar as in paying for some bottles of wine behind the bar? I presume the cost of a bottle which be lower than individual glasses, so would stretch your money further if you were able to put something behind the bar. As your venue has been so accommodating, is it worth seeing if they could do anything?

The above being said, I like my wine as would pay and wouldn't comment on the prices if a swanky venue..... it definitely wouldn't stop me having a drink.

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MissFairytale ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I have a good priced package deal in a hotel from 2pm until midnight. I have 3 course meal for 70 and 2 glasses of wine each with the meal . Plus a welcome drink each and a drink for the toast each. If anyone wants any more they will have to pay for it. I to noticed when booking the price of the drinks at the bar.(Same as yours) I was a bit put off by this as well at first, But its the venue we want and we have give anyone a years notice for our day. So i dont think people will mind. I was more shocked when i found out how much the breakfast is in the morning after the wedding. We want all the wedding party with us the next morning as this is what happens at all the ones we have been to and its really nice. Its £15 for the full english? lol, I just think that is crazy, I will want like a 20 item one for that lol, Then theres the room price as well. I dont think guests will mind really as its the bride and grooms choice/dayxx

• S108HAN
    Beginner August 2013
    S108HAN ·
    • Hide content

Our bar prices (on Merseyside) were just under £3.00 per pint and £12.99 for a bottle of wine. Generally, people getting round in for 6 people had change from a £20. Half our guest list were from down south. They reacted like they were on holiday in eastern Europe.

• InWineTheresTruth
    Beginner July 2015
    InWineTheresTruth ·
    • Hide content

It's not in London .. It is in Maidenhead in Berkshire ... my OH is from that way .... I'm from Surrey and we were originally looking at venues in the area I (and now he ) live but I came across this hotel by chance online and thought it looked pretty swanky and way out of budget ... You had to include your email address to download a brochure and their marketing manager contacted me ... so basically have negotiated via email for a few weeks and then went to visit last weekend.

guess it's swanky or it certainly sells itself that way. I got emailed the bar tariff so I know what everything costs ... They do wine at the cheapest at £23 a bottle ... The prosecco is crazy at £45 (so we are paying £15 corkage instead) .... That being said as my OH had pointed out - I don't go out that often these days and not to London much ... apparently £6 is not that dear for London these days! ! I'm sounding very old! ! Lol

Anyway I'll let you guys see where I'm talking about: [View:http://www.fredricks-hotel.co.uk/:550:0]

Not sure if the link works ...

• InWineTheresTruth
    Beginner July 2015
    InWineTheresTruth ·
    • Hide content

Http://www.fredricks-hotel.co.uk/

Its above x

• Horace
    Dedicated November 2013
    Horace ·
    • Hide content

Our venue's bar prices are similar (Essex). I have the same worris as you about those who aren't used to London or high-end venue prices curbing their drinking habits and not fully enjoying the evening. We are considering putting £1k behind the bar but at those prices and for 120 guests that won't go far, but will stretch us! I do actually wish we had thought of this when booking our venue. That being said the rest of what your venue is offering you sounds very reasonable.

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

The way I see bar prices at weddings.. you get fed for free, get arrival/ toasting drinks / maybe wine on the table for free.. so surely you cant really complain about having to pay for a few drinks.. yes I think it's totally wrong how much venues charge for their drinks.. when you know it doesn't cost that much to buy it in,, but what can you do..

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

They seem like normal prices to me but I'm a Londoner so I think we get charged more than other cities.

That's also what my venue charges tbh.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's a really good way to think of it! Makes me feel less bad if others think my bar prices are high.

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

I am not a 'Londoner' but I would always be prepared to pay more at a wedding/event. We didnt look at our bar prices at all when booking.

• M
    Beginner June 2012
    miss h to mrs h ·
    • Hide content

I'm from Cardiff and those prices are normal for wedding venues, I've been to loads of weddings this year (about 10) and all the ones in Cardiff have had that sort of price, people have commented about it but it didn't really affect how much they drank. I think most peeps anticipate that the drinks will be expensive & bring money accordingly OR they bring a bottle in their bag Smiley smile I would change my venue over it.

• alabastamasta
    Beginner May 2014
    alabastamasta ·
    • Hide content

Putting money down to reduce the overall cost per drink is a great idea!

• H
    Beginner September 2014
    halechap ·
    • Hide content

We are in leeds and ours are about that charge , I was worried but then the venue cost for us was lower than others , we also looked at it from an angle of 10 drinks in that time is 45 pound which doesn't seem so bad for a wedding night out x

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

Surrey is basically the same prices as London, more or less. That's what I found and so ended up getting married in central London, which almost seemed better deals than out in Surrey (as most people don't want to get married in London!)

I honestly wouldn't worry about it too much if it is the perfect venue for you in every other way.... and if there is a way to maybe pre-buy some bottles behind the bar that could help, and then the bar staff can serve it as glasses of wine, if if it affordable for you....

• InWineTheresTruth
    Beginner July 2015
    InWineTheresTruth ·
    • Hide content

I'm going to keep in mind the idea of adding money behind the bar to reduce the drink prices as it would cost around £400 to £600 to but everyone just one evening drink ... All at guests are going to be with us all day because it's a late wedding so no separate evening guests ...my friend said that she might pay corkage and bring a few bottles of prosecco ... I'm not sure if that's weird or sensible? ! I have no problem with people's "handbag" bars either! Maybe the venue are so reasonable on the wedding because they make so much off the drinks and hotel rooms ...

• L
    Beginner December 2012
    LEN11212 ·
    • Hide content

£23 is a lot for the cheapest bottle of wine. Would they let you source more wine yourself and pay corkage? It it's £15 corkage for sparkling I'm guessing it might be £10 for still wine so you could get something pretty decent from Majestic for £8 a bottle and it would still be cheaper. And if you did that any money you do have to put towards more drinks would go further.

• J
    Beginner June 2014
    jnwindel ·
    • Hide content

Have you thought about seeing if your venue will allow you to bring in a mobile bar?

We found our venues drinks prices were really high, but they are allowing us to hire a mobile bar company who will source all the alcohol and run the bar on the night and sell it at much more acceptable prices.

Obviously means an additional expense for you but we found one who will do it for £500 which I think is pretty reasonable, ......And our guests will definitely be happier with drinks prices on the night.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics