Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kentish Gal
Beginner July 2013

Venue considerations - Village hall

Kentish Gal, 5 October, 2012 at 06:23 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hello, only started planning this week for July '13. We plan to have everything, including the ceremony, at the village hall.

I am rubbish at this stuff! We are going to view the hall/pay the deposit on Sunday. Things I know I need to consider/look out for:

Power points for fairy lights

Chairs and condition thereof (hope to do without chair covers)

Tables - dimensions, for coverings and also numbers to a table for seating plan

Lighting options

Site for mobile bar in marquee off to side

Space for the bouncy castle (yes really!)

Times hall available from/to

Stage height and appropriateness for cceremony

Fixings/fittings available for hanging decorations/bunting etc

Folks, please help me! What am I missing for my fact-finding mission? Thank you! Smiley smile

6 replies

Latest activity by katiechops, 5 October, 2012 at 13:46
  • Canary
    Beginner August 2013
    Canary ·
    • Hide content

Only other things I can think of are:

-Availability day before/after to set up and clean up.

-kitchen facilities if you need them.

I wish I had your list when I went to check out my village hall. I need to go back now and look again for power points, fixtures and tables!

• Chickster
    Beginner August 2013
    Chickster ·
    • Hide content

Car parking facilities is another good one to check.

Catering - I know kitchen facilities have been mentioned but also ask about catering facilities if you are bringing caterers in - if the kitchen facilities are not good enough, they may need to set up a professional kitchen in a small marquee outside the venue which will add on extra costs.

Decorations - if you want to put decorations up around the ceiling, ask the village hall if they have any ladders you can use or access to a cherry picker - the cherry picker is a good one to ask for because often village halls have very high ceilings and get discounts on the hire of pickers. If you hire a picker, don't forget you need it for 2-3 days for set-up and take down.

Note about the chairs - they may be in ok condition now but I advise you to go back in June and double check their condition because a lot of damage / spillages can occur in 10 months (especially as village halls are mostly frequented by families with young children).

Good luck!

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Also check if you need to hire in linen/cutlery/crockery/cake stand/cake knife/serving trays etc etc. Basically everything a hotel type venue would simply provide. We hired all the above, plus champagne flutes (the hall bar didn't have them). Check also about costs for clear-up. We didn't want to bother with having to come in the next day to sweep floors etc, so paid an extra charge to cover all this.

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

Parking facilities & does a gate get closed after a certain time at night?

Is the hall close to houses & is there a curfew time when music must be turned off?

Toilet facilities: Are the toilets outside? Do you need to walk through dirt/garden to get there? Are there enough?

DJ/Band: Is there a microphone or speaker system they can plug into?

If you did damage the walls, what is the charge? Ask how they recommend you hang decoarations without leaving marks.

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

These are great, thank you so much. I am very glad I asked!

Some of it I already know, either through preliminary dealings with the venue, or because I am familiar with the hall (had a 'disco' there for my 14th birthday!) but some of it I would have missed. The drawing a floor plan thing is especially useful. Can't wait.

Thank you!

• katiechops
    Beginner June 2013
    katiechops ·
    • Hide content

What about what time the bar can serve till and it's licence etc x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics