Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*porsche*
Beginner January 2001

Venue dresser - am I being unreasonable

*porsche*, 16 May, 2011 at 10:40 Posted on Planning 0 8

I got a quote last week from our venue dresser and am shocked at some of her prices.

I originally wanted 8 tall black candleabras, she told us she would have to buy them in and would only buy 4. I thought ok, I'll price them up and buy at least 2 more myself. Once I've started looking she is charging me the full price of what I can buy them for. Now I know she is buying them in for us, but surely she will be able to use them again.

My h2b is not happy either. I can see this all going a bit pear shaped. ☹️

8 replies

Latest activity by Simplycharming, 16 May, 2011 at 18:48
  • Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I'd be a bit peeved too. Could you not look to hire them from a company on behalf of the venue dresser?

That said, we are paying £5 per hire of a vase and they are only £10 to buy and I know for a fact they will be used more than twice.

• NikiST
    Beginner July 2011
    NikiST ·
    • Hide content

I'd be pretty hacked off if my venue dresser was going to buy the candlebras, charge you the same price to hire them, and then keep them for herself? I'd be very tempted to just buy them all and sell them after the wedding....?

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

That's really annoying. That said, I have generally found that if you're clever about where you source things, you can buy for at least as cheaply as hiring. Although you have to bear in mind that when you hire, the fee should include set-up costs. Buying your own means setting stuff up yourself too and that is bloody time-consuming!

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ditto. Your hotel should be able to set them up for you.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

If she is asking you to pay full price for them, then they should be yours to take home not hers to keep!

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

Nope not unreasonable at all. If you are hiring them then you should pay the hire price not the purchase price. Will she agree to you buying them ( you will probably be able to source them cheap enough) and just her set it all up?

• FutureMrsRon
    Beginner February 2012
    FutureMrsRon ·
    • Hide content

It's not on for her to charge you full price to just hire them, but I think I'd be more annoyed that she's refusing to buy the amount that you've asked for!!! Srely you're paying for her to provide you what you want, not for her to make the decision.

Sack her!! ?

• Simplycharming
    Simplycharming ·
    • Hide content

Not unreasonable at all she should charge you the hire price as im sure she would use them again anyway.Why not buy them yourself and just have her set them up for you or perhaps the venue would do it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics