Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

BridalButterfly2012
Beginner June 2012

Venue final payment

BridalButterfly2012, 14 January, 2012 at 20:38 Posted on Planning 0 29

Hi all

Just a quick post to see if i am worrying over nothing. We have been told we have to pay the rest of our outstanding bill by the end of February For our wedding at the end of June. Does this sound about right?

I just feel it is too far in advance and like we are paying for a service we have not yet ahd or know is exactly what we get on the night. I have emailed them but they want it by then and no later.

What do you all think?

29 replies

Latest activity by BridalButterfly2012, 15 January, 2012 at 13:40
  • S
    Beginner May 2012
    sr3693 ·
    • Hide content

Umm, personally i think that is a bit early, i thought balances were due around 6-8 weeks before...

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I dont see how they can realistically say that. You surely won't have final numbers by then? What does it say in your contract? Can you ask them what happens if numbers change much from the expected numbers, given you will have paid for people who may not be able to attend?

• BridalButterfly2012
    Beginner June 2012
    BridalButterfly2012 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks hun, i agree but don't know what to do as it's either accept it or go somewhere else and loose the deposit of £250.

• BridalButterfly2012
    Beginner June 2012
    BridalButterfly2012 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well that was my point exactly hence the reason i emailed them to explain that i haven't even sent my invites out yet so they said they can't hold back the date for final payment but i could under estimate by 10-20 people then add them nearer the time if accordingly.

I feel really stuck on what to do. Plus until we go there to pay the final money it hasn't be outlined exactly what we are getting for that just in the contract it says the buffet could consist of blah blah blah. So i do want to go to sort that out but don't want to pay the whole amount.

I thought it was usually 75% before and 25% on the day or week before.

• S
    Beginner May 2012
    sr3693 ·
    • Hide content

I would go in for a meeting, ask every question you have on your mind, get all the finer details and make sure you have a contract, i wouldn't pay up until i had a contract and was completely happy!

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, I agree. Meet with them but don't sign. Take a list to ask everything you need to know, express your concerns, and if they can't make you feel better and happy about it, sorry to say, but they don't sound like a business keen on keeping customers happy, I would take your money and booking elsewhere (if theres somewhere else you like available) and see if theres any way of getting some of deposit back at all, or if not lose it. They don't sound like the kind of place that will do everything to ensure your day goes well.

• Laura705
    Beginner October 2012
    Laura705 ·
    • Hide content

That's really early! ?

We have to pay in the morning after the wedding.

• BridalButterfly2012
    Beginner June 2012
    BridalButterfly2012 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks- i will i just wanted someone elses oppinion to confirm it wasn't just me thinking this wasn't the norm. I am tempted to cancel but am thinking that may be a bit drastic over a few months early payment request?

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content

Urm i would say thats very early...does this mean you will have given your final numbers by then? if not how can you possibly pay the balance? the venue we are looking at is final numbers and payment 1 month before x

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content

Urm i would say thats very early...does this mean you will have given your final numbers by then? if not how can you possibly pay the balance? the venue we are looking at is final numbers and payment 1 month before Smiley smile x

• BridalButterfly2012
    Beginner June 2012
    BridalButterfly2012 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

They have replied and said that i can under estimate the final number estimated by 10-20 people and add more nearer the time. When i have had all of the rsvp's back.

I am pretty sure about my number for the day bit for canapes and drinks as they are all my close family it is just the evening guests.

• S
    Beginner May 2012
    sr3693 ·
    • Hide content

I would have the meeting, go away and discuss with OH then decide, if your not happy, don't risk it!

do you have anything in writing that says when you have to pay?

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content

That seems so silly to get you to under estimate seems like more work for them!...maybe they have had people not paying up before or something and now they have a new policy...i wouldn't pay any more until you have everything in writing!! even if you write it all out yourself and they sign it just make sure you have it in writing...i don't care if my venue think im being petty i want everything we have agreed on in writing haha!!

i took about 30 questions to our meeting with the event co-ordinator and everyone found it funny but i got them all answered!! they should be able to answer any questions you have about specifics!! don't pay up until you have this!

Smiley smile x

• BridalButterfly2012
    Beginner June 2012
    BridalButterfly2012 ·
    • Hide content

Unfortunatly i do they gave me a booking pack / contract and it was only when i was looking through all my reciepts and bookings and stuff like that when i noticed the date for end feb.I thought s**t i haven't even sent my invites out yet and my rsvp is for by 1st may latest as i thought that would be plenty of time.

I am not too bothered about paying it early but i don't understand why they need the money so early as surely they won't be getting the food till begining of June at least.

• Jason Clark DJ
    Jason Clark DJ ·
    • Hide content

Was this timescale mentioned in their contract that you signed?

If not - I'd say its reasonable to argue that its too soon. We paid the balance about 1 month before the wedding.

Our date was off-peak, and I guess with only £250 (I know its still a decent sum to us!), commitment, they could be getting nervous, but that is their problem if its not in their contract.

Perhaps they have a change of management? Its certainly worth calling and if you have time, arranging a meeting.

What about bookings they'll be taking this month... will they ask for full payment now?

• BridalButterfly2012
    Beginner June 2012
    BridalButterfly2012 ·
    • Hide content

I will get them to hand write it all out on headed paper. I will write all my questions out and take them. I am just pleased i am not being a crank over it lol and you all agree it is weird to pay it so much in advance.

thanks to you all for reassuring me and giving me your thoughts.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

We paid a £1k deposit when we booked (18 months before the wedding) and the final balance was due 4 weeks before when we gave them final numbers.

They were covered by their cancellation clauses (50% within 6 months, 75% within 3 months etc.)

It does seem early to me but this is also an all too familiar story... please please please people, read EVERYTHING before you sign!

• A
    Beginner August 2013
    annie2000 ·
    • Hide content

Our venue final payment is 4 weeks before our wedding date, I thought that was pretty standard, yours does seem very early. Are they stable financially? Just wondered if that could be a reason for them asking for payment so early

• BridalButterfly2012
    Beginner June 2012
    BridalButterfly2012 ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't know as they aren't going to tell me.

They had a wedding there last month and i presume they had to do the same. Must just be their procedure.

I will pay them as long as i get it outlned exactly what i will be getting for that food and service wise.

• lianne22
    Beginner September 2012
    lianne22 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I thought this too!

Although if it is in your contract, then there probably isnt too much you can do. Like the others have said, go for a meeting, finalise things with them and get all your questions answered. I went with a note book and pen when i went! OH thought i was mad, but it was useful.

• BridalButterfly2012
    Beginner June 2012
    BridalButterfly2012 ·
    • Hide content

Will do and what ever they promise or say will do or inc for the money i will get them to write out.

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

ooo i never thought that but make sure you have wedding insurance just incase? (if you haven't already!!) i'm sure all will be fine just procedure due to past experience!! Smiley tongue x

• N
    Beginner June 2012
    nicadele ·
    • Hide content

Hiya I know we have to pay half 2 months before and final balance 2 weeks before.

If there are any charges after this we pay them on checkout from the hotel.

Im not sure if this is normal but we knew from the start this was the case as it was in the contract.

Do you have a contract you could check in relation to this?

• R
    Beginner May 2012
    ruby_tuesday ·
    • Hide content

Mine is Due February for wedding in May. Then once we have picked the wines and evening buffet that will be paid for 4 weeks before.

• xMissyLoux
    Beginner September 2012
    xMissyLoux ·
    • Hide content

I paid my venue a deposit which was about 25% of the total balance.

Then 50% of the remaining balance is due 16 weeks before the wedding, which I'm guessing is the same as your February/June timescale

And then the final 50% is due 2 weeks before the wedding.

• BridalButterfly2012
    Beginner June 2012
    BridalButterfly2012 ·
    • Hide content

Yeah seems about the same time but they want the whole of the rest of the money in feb. Although they have now replied and said i can underestimate 10-20 people and add them nearer the time which i am now thinking may turn out the equivalent to what you are doing. Basically paying the rest nearer the time when i confirm the final numbers. so as long as this is basically summed up an confirmed when we go then i will be happy with that.

Also in the contract it says the buffet could consist of not will consist of so i want to get this confirmed of exactly what it WILL consist of before we hand over any money. I am presuming we will meet, iron it all out confirm everything then hand the money over.

• R
    Beginner May 2012
    ruby_tuesday ·
    • Hide content

I'm expecting them to call me soon to arrange a consultation to sort out things like the evening buffet choices, wine selections for the meal and drinks reception, canapes etc. Your's should do the same. They cant expect you to pay for things without having chosen them first.

• BridalButterfly2012
    Beginner June 2012
    BridalButterfly2012 ·
    • Hide content

I agree. Hopefully this is all what will happen when we have to pay the rest. I will be making sure though that if when we do add extra numbers at a later date then we won't get charged extra. Otherwise i will be tempted to pay it now then have them put in writing that we can either have a refund or the money put behind the bar for us to use on the night.

• R
    Beginner May 2012
    ruby_tuesday ·
    • Hide content

I see what you mean. I dont think I have that problem as i'm paying for minimum numbers anyway but I'm actually 10 people short. Only thing I can suggest is that when you havd over more money, get them to itemise a receipt detailing what its for.

• BridalButterfly2012
    Beginner June 2012
    BridalButterfly2012 ·
    • Hide content

Oh good idea i never thought of that. I will have it all cleared up as i don't want to leave feeling confused. I want it plain and clear and in writing.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics