Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner

Venue for vintage tea party / enchanted garden party wedding

katielou21, 29 August, 2011 at 15:43 Posted on Planning 0 17

Hi all,

I'm new here - only got engaged last Tuesday so still in the very beginnings of organising our wedding.

We are really keen to hold a vintage tea party wedding or one with an enchanted garden theme but would really like to find a venue that is flexible with catering i.e.. letting us do it ourselves or choose our our company to use.

There are lots of beautiful country houses and gardens out there but they all seem to want us to use their chefs and charge a fortune for it! We would ideally love to do the tea party food ourselves then bring caterers in for the evening.

We would be happy to have a room or a marquee area but would really love some beautiful outdoor space.

Can anyone think of anywhere to recommend? We are based in Bristol but have family all around so would consider Devon, Wiltshire, Somerset, Dorset and parts of Wales etc. At the mo our guest list is 140! Eek!

All help greatly appreciated - getting stressed already that our dream venue just doesn't exist!

Thanks

KL

17 replies

Latest activity by Sherrie H, 29 August, 2011 at 20:34
  • S
    Beginner October 2012
    Snowberry ·
    • Hide content

I know a place that would be perfect for that theme, but its in Nottinghamshire!

• Doris 5/10
    Beginner May 2013
    Doris 5/10 ·
    • Hide content

I'm Notts Snowberry. Where were you thinking?

• *Bea*
    Beginner October 2011
    *Bea* ·
    • Hide content

Welcome to Hitched ?

I am in your area I don't know about caterers etc but have a look at Gants Mill it has beautiful gardens which might be what you are after? https://www.gantsmill.co.uk/

What sort of budget are you on if you don't mind me asking?

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

Hi & Welcome

I am based in Bristol.

Here are a few places:

https://www.stantonmanor.com

http://www.sheldonmanor.co.uk/weddings/

https://www.gtb.co.uk/

Or you could hire a Village Hall & then have a completely free reign on what you provide food & decoration wise.

• K
    Beginner
    katielou21 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks folks!

I'm waiting for replies to emalis from Sheldon Manor and Gants Mill actually.

Think Gants Mill is gorgeous but pretty sure one of my friends is planning her wedding for there in June.

My ideal spot would be Lamer Tree Gardens in Dorset or a package offered by Cornish Tipi Weddings, but both want you do use their catering and that's what makes them a no for us.

Our budget is pretty tiny which is why we want flexibility with food.

Thanks again, let me know if you think of anything else.

Oh and as for the Notts venue, my partner is from Cambridge so may actually be a possibility! Where is it?

xx

• *Bea*
    Beginner October 2011
    *Bea* ·
    • Hide content

Larmer tree gardens is just down the road from me and is lovely!

Have you looked at Longleat? Although think they are pricey and probably have to use there caterers.

Am trying to think of some more for you

• Doris 5/10
    Beginner May 2013
    Doris 5/10 ·
    • Hide content

Nottingham (Notts) east midlands.

A couple hrs north of Cambridge.x

• K
    Beginner
    katielou21 ·
    • Hide content

Not too far....! May be worth it for the right venue!

Think I was thinking of Norwich! Whoops! Thanks though!

And thans Dorris 5/10 - I'll keep you posted.

• K
    Beginner
    katielou21 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry, not sure what happened at the end of that post

Dorris5/10 - your name was meant to be at the start of the post! Silly cut and paste business!

Thank you at the end was meant to be for you Stupidlamb.

Deary me, think my head has gone a bit fuzzy from all this research!

xx

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

Can i just ask, why is it that you don't want to use the venue catering? Our venue normally just does sit down dinners and evening do's but we asked them and they're now putting together welcome drinks of pimms, an afternoon champagne and tea party for us, followed by a lovely big bbq in the evening. They're catering for 75 guests for us, at a minimum spend of £4000 (including hire fees, some decorations, toastmaster etc) which is one of the best deals we've found.

If you ask the wedding venue if they can cater for your tea party then i'm sure they can come up with some arrangement for you.

• babyw
    Beginner
    babyw ·
    • Hide content

I can't with a venue but your theme sounds wonderful and will look forward to hearing about all the plans.

• K
    Beginner
    katielou21 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for those tips.

Doing some research into 'dry hire' now.

Deliciouswitchchild - the only reason we're looking for somewhere to be flexible on catering is to cut costs. Everywhere we've seen so far wants to charge the earth for food to be done in house but it sounds like you've found yourselves a bit of a bargin there. What type of venue have you gone for, if you don't mind me asking?

New thought - we'll consider venues that do their own catering if it's under £10 a head for an afternoon tea / BBQ / buffet. Do you think that's unreasonable? Any new suggestions with the changed requirements?!

Wish I came on here a few days ago to make a start - everyone seems so helpful!xx

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married here: www.bartlehall.co.uk

I think you'll struggle to find anyone that does under £10 a head either venues OR catering companies. Unfortunately catering is very expensive everywhere you go, you pay for the expertise of the chefs, the food costs etc. I think you'd only manage under £10 per head if you did it yourself unfortunately.

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

Another thought, if you want to cut costs you could look at a week day wedding rather than friday/saturday/sunday. All three weekend days are now very popular wedding days as people moved to those days originally to keep costs down and then everyone caught on!

• L
    Beginner July 2012
    libracat ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

we found a local butcher who will do our BBQ for £5 a head and then the salads etc on top ( but my mums doing most of them) a friend had them cater recently and said they were brill......thanks to AJ for finding them for us! ( no use to you as we're in surrey but i thought id let you know so you know there are some people that do them) ?

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

I have a caterer in Bristol that also does Hog Roasts & travels if you want details.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics