Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner July 2013

Venue has double booked our wedding

clairemcf, 16 April, 2013 at 12:37 Posted on Planning 0 10

Please help, our venue in Ireland has double booked our wedding which is due to take place in 3 months time on the 20th July. We originally paid the deposit last June and booked the best function room in the hotel. I got a phone call last weekend to say this room had been booked back in 2011 for a wedding but not recorded in their book, I was told because their wedding was booked first we would need to move ours to another function room.

We were promised lots of compensation for doing this and agreed we would move to the room which I was under the impression was the 2nd best room in the hotel. Upon going to see the hotel yesterday on my way back to the airport to fly home to Glasgow, I was taken to be shown the room our wedding was now in. To my absolute horror I was taken in to the most horrible and smallest room I didn't even know existed in the hotel. My humanist ceremony was also no longer in the best part of the hotel and would be in what could only be described as a dirty grubby pub lounge where I would have to walk past all my guests to then walk down the aisle.

I asked why it was not now in the 2nd best room and was told a dancing competition was booked in that room and because of their numbers they could not move them to that room.

When I booked with the hotel I was told there was no other functions on this day only my wedding. When arguing with the owner (who did not even apologise for the mistake) that I would not be accepting this room, she had the cheek to ask me what I suggest they do and that mistakes can happen, its life.

Most of our guests are coming from Glasgow and some from Australia and all over Ireland and have booked their flights for this weekend and also paid deposits for their rooms.

I would appreciate if anyone could tell me where I stand legally with this? The hotel are in no hurry to try and fix this situation at all and trying to basically force me to take this room as they wont give any other options. Thanks for any replies.

10 replies

Latest activity by Knees, 17 April, 2013 at 12:17
  • mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

Would it be possible to find an alternative venue and get all your money back, they sound not apologetic enough that essentially, they've made a giant boo boo.

• C
    Beginner July 2013
    clairemcf ·
    • Hide content

We have found another venue that could take us, its not as grand as our last one but its much better than both the alternative rooms. It's disgusting how rude they have been about it all, I was wanting to get opinions before I phone them back threatening legal action and to get an idea of what I would be entitled to.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

I'd start calling round all other venues in the area and see if any have that date free - explain what has happened. If a new venue is close, hopefully nothing will have to change for your guests, it would only be the venue, and you could notify each guest of the change and the circumstances. They will still be flying to same place, and could stay in the original hotel if need be.

You can then demand that the original venue refund you in full. You are not getting what you 'ordered' and expected, the room they are offering is not fit for purpose.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

If you've found another venue I would call your current venue and say thank you for your offer of the alternative room but, as I'm sure you appreciate, it is not up to the standard that we originally booked so I am requesting all monies paid back in full.

See what they say to that then if they refuse, that's when I'd start about breach of contract etc.

I'm not a legal bod and it's difficult to know if they are in fact in breach of contract but their service is definitely way below par.

If you don't mind me asking, how much would you stand to lose if you didn't get your money back?

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

I would be looking elsewhere, without a doubt.

Their lack of apologies would just seal it all for me.

Do you have a contract that states the rooms you originally booked (the best ones?).

I'd say if you do then you have a concrete argument that they have cancelled the contract by moving you into different rooms etc

I can't see how they could possibly argue with you on this? But, venues cease to amaze me sometimes, unfortunately.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

What does the small print in your contract say about function rooms? Does it state anything about specific rooms? Or in the event of having to swap function rooms?

• G
    Beginner September 2013
    Gemmy08 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry no legal advice but what a disgrace, I feel so sorry for you. Surely a wedding should have priority over a dance competition? As they said the other wedding was booked first and had priority over you, can you find out when the dance competition was booked to see if you booked first(numbers aside), not that you should have to! Not sure about the rules but are you allowed to name the hotel? I'm from Northern Ireland, so just curious

• Guy Wade
    Guy Wade ·
    • Hide content

If you've found an alternative venue I'd say take it. You will never feel comfortable knowing another wedding is going on at the same time as yours, in the same hotel, in the room that you should have had.

If a lot of your guests are booked to stay at the hotel I think you should try to get them to arrange and pay for transport to get your guests from the hotel to the new venue and back again. Overcoming transport issues is one of the main reasons why people have hotel weddings.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

In my view, you are entitled to every last penny. I don't think that they can claim to be out of pocket by losing a booking, as it seems very unlikely that they intended to have three big events on in one weekend (given the dire room they've offered you).

I also think you should tot up your out of pocket costs and ask for those as gesture of goodwill.

And don't ask for your money back, demand and expect it.

"I am unhappy with the substandard alternative room offered to us for our wedding. In addition, your "customer service" during this difficult time has been appalling. I wish to completely cancel our arrangements with you and I expect to receive a refund of all monies paid to you to date. We are prepared to seek legal advice if necessary."

• bex_boo
    Beginner August 2014
    bex_boo ·
    • Hide content

You poor thing, what a horrible situation to be in.

Rightly so I think you should cancel with that poor venue. If they have messed this up then I think they are likely to mess up other aspects of your day. Get out of there ASAP. Get the other venue booked in.

I think a strong phone call with the manager is in order. Be very calm - don't lose your temper that will belittle your argument (although I am sure yu are very cross). Explain to them that you had agreed certian things that they are no longer providing, and are not offering a SUITABLE alternative that you are happy with. You would like a full and immediate refund on the deposits you have paid, which is perfectly reasonable.

Say that you don't want to have to start getting lawyers and the like involved on it, and that you would like to resolve this between the two of you, by simply getting back the money. You appreciate that they have tried to offer alternatives, but they are not of the same standard and are therefore not suitable. The error was their end, not yours, you are not being promised what was agreed, but you will cancel and move venues for the return of your money paid thus far.

I thinkif you appear reasonable like that, they will be quick to give you your money back and you can get it all resolved quickly. You poor thing, it is a horrible situation, but try to remain calm it really will make your argument stronger if you don't lose your temper with them.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

OK - first thing, don't panic. A similar thing happened to me as well, but I had a year to sort it out. H and I are both solicitors, so they didn't realise who they were messing with! They offered to return our deposit and that was it. When we pressed them, they offered us their sister hotel, but it just wasn't satisfactory to us.

First thing we did was check our contract. It provided that we'd lose our deposit if we pulled out, but didn't contain any provisions as to them pulling out. Basically, they were in breach of contract.

We managed to find another venue (which, as it happens, was much better) and we went to a meeting with the old venue's head office. We'd had to travel out to Australia to find a new venue, which we wouldn't have had to have done if they hadn't breached the contract. We told them how much it had cost us to get out there and asked for a figure slightly above that, to compensate for our wasted time also. They were quite willing to accept.

I've probably still got the letters that I sent to them if that would assist you.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics