Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Fergo
Beginner December 2012

Venue has dropped prices (dramatically) after contract has been signed!!!

Fergo, 28 March, 2012 at 16:24 Posted on Planning 0 33

I just went on my venue's website to have a nosey and have seen that they are offering wedding packages for this year and next year at a price which is much less than what I'm paying!

If I booked the same wedding now, it would cost me £1228.88 less?

Yes, I've signed a contract and paid a deposit but should I speak to them?

33 replies

Latest activity by Peter, 30 March, 2012 at 11:46
  • Pink Han-bag
    Beginner March 2013
    Pink Han-bag ·
    • Hide content

Are they late availability prices?

• Fergo
    Beginner December 2012
    Fergo ·
    • Hide content

No, they're for 2012 and 2013 dates!

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

I would definitely ring them up and have a word. Just be polite (not that you wouldn't) and ask if there is any way they could offer you some kind of discount bearing in mind their advertised prices. Worth a go.

• Fergo
    Beginner December 2012
    Fergo ·
    • Hide content

I'm definately going to speak to them, it woud be different if it was a couple of hundred pounds but it's over £1200!!

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Hmmmm I'd give them a call and have a go at haggling to match the current price, but bear in mind if it were the other way around and the prices had gone up, you'd be insisting that your prices remain as per contract.........

• Pink Han-bag
    Beginner March 2013
    Pink Han-bag ·
    • Hide content

I'm guessing they've reduced them because they're not getting enough custom though?

I can see why you're annoyed but I'm sure there'll be something in your contract covering this.

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS! it would really annoy me to but if it was the other way round and prices had increased you would want your prices to remain the same!
    rather than giving you money back they may give you some extras? try for some extra drinks or bedrooms (if it has accomodation)

it is very annoying that they have done this but you don't know maybe their wedding bookings aren't hitting targets etc and they have tried to boost bookings with some offers? i suppose it's the same as a venue putting an offer on groupon or similar at a vastly discounted price...im sure this annoys many brides and grooms already booked in!

hope you get a little something as a good will gesture!

x

• Fergo
    Beginner December 2012
    Fergo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Your right. It's just a tough one because our package in total is £2998, the new pricing would mean our same package would be £1770 which is a huge jump. That's a serious amount of money to us. I'd be better off cancelling the wedding, losing half my deposit £500 and rebooking!

• Fergo
    Beginner December 2012
    Fergo ·
    • Hide content

What is also annoying me is that this isn't a limited time offer...it's for weddings in 2012, 2013 and 2014?

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

That is a big jump when you look at it percentage wise. I'd be upfront with them about your frustration (but don't be emotive). Don't start off by demanding they drop the prices, make enquiries about why they have and then see if they offer it to you off their own back. If ness then tell them you're considering cancelling your booking alltogether (but don't say about rebooking!!)

• Going2theChapel
    Beginner March 2013
    Going2theChapel ·
    • Hide content

Are the 2013 cheaper than your wedding?

I could understand dropping the 2012 prices now we are getting well into the year, a lot of Venues will drop their prices to fill the dates up. The further in advance you book a wedding the more it tends to cost, or so I have discovered on Venue hunting.

Id be inclined to have a word and see what they can do, whilst you are under contract, id mention that youd be better off to cancel and rebook. See if they can save you the trouble and discount the venue or at the very least offer more for your money.

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

well in this case when you look at it like that.... i would phone them and calmly ask what they can do for you and if they pretty much say nothing then i would mention to them that you may as well lose your deposit and rebook and see how they react to that! it does seem a bit of a silly reduction if it is cheaper for you to cancel and lose £500! maybe they are hoping that nobody will notice or question it that has already booked! Good Luck! x

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Use this fact as 'leverage' if the venue won't help you out.

• ButterflyChild
    Beginner May 2013
    ButterflyChild ·
    • Hide content

Definitely definitely phone them - after all if you don't ask, you don't get. I can completely understand you feeling miffed about this - I would too!! The venue have dug a bit of a hole for themselves by advertising 2013 and 2014 weddings at the lower price - as others have said you could understand if it was just 2012 to fill up dates.

Give them a call - best of luck Smiley smile

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

If they won't budge on price ("you have signed madam") I would ask if they would give you any "free" extras. This will in reality cost them a lot less than their list prices.

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

I'd definitely be telling them you are considering cancelling as a matter of principle if they aren't willing to drop the price, lets face it, if they have dropped the price dramatically as they need to get more bookings then they wont want to lose any bookings they have already !...you don't need to tell them you will be re- booking at the new price.

Regards

L x

• Fergo
    Beginner December 2012
    Fergo ·
    • Hide content

I'm definately going to phone them. It's just too much of a drop. My wedding is booked for a Wednesday in December. The way the prices are now I could get married on a Saturday in June/July/August in either 2013 or 2014 and save a lot of money!

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You may not want to do this at all as your reason for choosing a weekday in winter may have nothing to do with price, but maybe you could ask them to change your date? Would you feel better paying the current price on a high season Saturday?

• Fergo
    Beginner December 2012
    Fergo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Honestly, the price had a big part to play in us choosing the date. A Saturday in June was just too expensive (or was too expensive) but as it stands now, it's cheaper! The date we get married is also my Gran's birthday and I've bought things now with our date on e.g. save the dates, favour tags etc so ideally I want to keep my date, but if they won't budge I'll seriously consider changing it.

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

God yes! If it were me I'd refer to the face that you'd be better off cancelling and losing your deposit and having compared your current deal to other venues you have been discussing the possibility of booking elsewhere. Then ask them what they are prepared to do. Leave a silence and let them respond. The way you put it Wollongong make a difference so think carefully about what you might say before you call. Let us knowhow you get on.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Clair, would you mind PMing me the name of the venue...I am quite intrigued as I think we are in a similarish sort of area.... although obviously don't want to plaster this over the web....

Peter

• Fergo
    Beginner December 2012
    Fergo ·
    • Hide content

Peter...I'm on my phone at moment. Won't let me mail you but I will tomorrow when I'm at work.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Clair...I hope that you sort out some sort of compromise.?

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

Clair- when we booked our venue back in may 2010- we paid a £400 deposit and they gave us a the usual b/s thingy that all dates are full etc etc- a week later in the local paper the venue were doing a promo where you could have the exclusive use of the venue and the prices were cheaper p.p - the only deal we got the week we booked was a free marquee and they wouldnt budge- i was seriously peed off with them- i sent dad over to talk with them and try and blag the exclusive use of the venue with all the rooms thrown in and got nowhere because we had ''signed a contract'' - since our wedding in november they have only had 1 wedding and were now going into april... good luck and hope they do you a good deal Smiley smile

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't ring I would make an appointment to visit as a couple. easier to negotiate face to face and read body language and also strength in numbers. Good luck

• Fergo
    Beginner December 2012
    Fergo ·
    • Hide content

If their prices had gone up (suppliers etc) within the terms of the contract they can put my price up. So they would be in a position to say our overheads have gone up so it will now cost you £xx more.

If their changing suppliers and the quality is lower then it will affect my wedding as these are prices they are are advertising now for any 2012, 2013 or 2014 weddings.

• born2fly
    Dedicated January 2012
    born2fly ·
    • Hide content

Blummin hell this is one of my bigest fears!!!!! im having a good old read of my contract again havent signed it yet!

• *AJS*
    Beginner December 2012
    *AJS* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

How did you get on today, did you contact your venue?

• HayleyMay
    Beginner September 2012
    HayleyMay ·
    • Hide content

I'd tell them about you being better off cancelling and rebooking! Doesn't hurt to ask for money off. But I imagine just trying to get a few freebies such as extra drinks, upgrade on food etc would be easier.

• Fergo
    Beginner December 2012
    Fergo ·
    • Hide content

The contract says..."Final - Details - Not more than 11 but not less than 6 weeks prior to the event the undermentioned details must be supplied to enable us to prepare and issue a final events synopsis and an invoice for the final payment (final numbers, final choices of food / drink)"

Also says "The management reserves the right to increase the Anticipated Charges by the cost of living index published from time to time by H M Government as applicable to the period from the the first anniversary of the date of this letter to the date of the wedding"

I'm going to contact them tomorrow, my Stepdad wanted to have a good look over the contract before I contacted them. He'll do that today.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Clair, your wedding is mentioned as a Wednesday. Naturally I have no idea which Wednesday in December. I assume that it isn't one that covers a prime bank holiday.....in which case the venue might want to reserve the old pricing as it is an "exceptional date"....

Dunno....just a thought whilst musing this.....

Peter

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Nope...just spotted your ticker which rules out my above thought!!!! Mid December by the look of it...

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics