Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner June 2014

Venue headache - Surrey,Sussex,Hampshire

bashmore, 21 May, 2013 at 12:57 Posted on Planning 0 20

Hi folks,

I thought I'd post here in the hope someone may be able to offer any advice to help my fiancee as we're having a bit of a wedding headeache at the mo!

We got engaged in February and since then we've been combing the home counties to try and find a venue for a wedding. The problem is everywhere that looks lovely is waaaaaaaaay out of our budget.

We were looking to host the service and the reception all in one venue (and looked at places like Upwaltham Barns) but once the grand total started creeping to 25k we had to rethink.

The problem is every venue that does both is crazy expensive and just trying to find the venue on its own is proving a massive headache.

We seem to have checked everywhere in the three counties and still no look.

Just wondered if anyone had any recommendations for venues in that area. Any help would be awesome! We're at stage one of the wedding planning and can't seem to get any further Smiley sad

Thanks a lot all

Ben

20 replies

Latest activity by Missmadgiggles, 22 May, 2013 at 09:26
  • Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

Are you looking for Barn type venues generally then?

If so, have you tried Pangdean barn at all?

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

Sussex way other than Upwaltham there is Pangdean, Fitzleroi Barn, Swallows Oast and Grittenham Barn

Hampshire I only know of Bury Court Barn, further afield there's Cripps Barn.

All have their own charm. Grittenham I'd be careful with as we looked at booking them but when we arranged to meet someone there they booked us in on their day off. No answer to attempted calls or texts on the day. We didn't find out it was their day off until someone else at the venue told us. We didn't appreciate the 45 minute drive each way.

They never replied to a single email I sent them either. Great Barn and gardens but a very hands off approach so check and double check and meeting with them.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Whats the budget? And how many people does the venue need to caterer for?

• minimorecambe
    Beginner August 2013
    minimorecambe ·
    • Hide content

I am getting married at Marwell Hotel.
    And no it isn't a barn but I think its lovely ?

We are paying £3500 for ceremony, wedding breakfast for 60 people with welcome drinks, speech drinks and wine on the tables, evening reception for 70 with BBQ and bridal suite for me and OH for the night and this included upgrade to the larger (nicer) room.

That price is for this year though as we did everything last minute.

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

Nonsuch Mansion in Cheam is awesome too.

• Sambride
    Beginner April 2014
    Sambride ·
    • Hide content

Hiya,

I'm getting married at Random Hall, its near Horsham in Sussex. They have just got their civil ceremony licence so we're having the ceremony and reception there.

Its not that big, but has just had a new barn bit built there, and has lovely old wooden beams in the bar area. Its gorgeous!

Depending on how many people you've got attending, it can work out quite cheap.

Unfortunately there are not many pictures of it online, its worth going to look in person.

Sam x

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content

The Tithe Barn in Petersfield is a beaut. Would have had my wedding there if I won the lottery!!

https://www.tithe-barn.co.uk/

Barns in general are pretty ker-ching though.

Some friends of ours recently were married at the Aviator Hotel: https://aviatorhampshire.com/

Something a bit more contemporary and funky, if you're having a smaller do, perhaps? The food (obviously the most important thing at a wedding....) was FAB.

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

Maybe not what you're after but the Claremont Hotel in Hove is fab and a total bargain.

• Perox
    Beginner October 2013
    Perox ·
    • Hide content

Bury Barn in Bentley is brilliant, it was one of our top ones except they didn't have any dates which worked for us. If you're after barns then have you looked at Rivervale Barn? I know a few people who have got married there and they all say it was brilliant. They're both in Hampshire, but there's also Gate Street barn which is in Bramley, a gorgeous little village just outside of Guildford

• amihohu
    Beginner September 2013
    amihohu ·
    • Hide content

Have you had a look at Bartholomew Barn in Kirdford? https://www.bartholomewbarn.co.uk/ I had a friend who got married there last year and it was very nice. We had a look around a lot of Sussex/Surrey venues, have gone for Burrows Lea Country House in the end, not a barn however! If you are looking for other non-barn venues, I can list some we looked around. ?

• P
    Beginner July 2014
    ptb13 ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married at Rivervale Barn (Hampshire). We love it. But it is more pricey than some. We also looked at:

Bury Court Barn

Northbrook Park

Audleys Wood

Tylney Hall

The Elvetham

Cain manor (we felt there were a lot of surprise 'add ons' which pushed the price up considerably)

The Georgian House Hotel

Farnham Castle

and others I cant remember off the top of my head.The Aviator is a cool venue and I've heard great things about Tythe Barns. Have you tied browsing wedding-venues.co.uk?

• Forever Wedding Dance
    Rockstar September 2013
    Forever Wedding Dance ·
    • Hide content

There is a free directory of venues and suppliers for the Surrey area and I picked it up at Smithbrook Kilns in Cranleigh, Surrey, where our caterers are based. As there are a lot of suppliers there, they have brochures for everything weddingy in the ladies powder room room and that's how we found our ceremony venue (Burrows Lea, mentioned above). We're having a village hall reception but Burrows Lea also do both ceremony and reception if you want to stay in the same place, with the use of the country house and a marquee in the gardens and it's in the Surrey Hills, not a million miles from Guildford.

• C
    Beginner June 2014
    cg090291 ·
    • Hide content

What's. your budget? We are getting married and having reception all in one venue, Wotton House in Dorking. Ours is coming in at 13000 for ceremony, wedding breakfast for 90 and buffet for 90. Welcome drink and wine on the tables Smiley smile

Hope you find somewhere soon

• B
    Beginner June 2014
    bashmore ·
    • Hide content

Wowzers!

Thanks for all the replies folks. I'm gonna get Googling these and have a look.

We started out wanting an all in one barn service reception type place, but seeing as that's looking a bit tricky we were looking for a dry hire barn and do the service at a registry office (or anywhere we can find better).

I saw Bury Court Barn mentioned. We had a look there and really liked it!

We're also looking anywhere interesting to be honest! We had a look at Denbies in Surrey (the vineyard but again...well you guessed).

Probably about £17k I reckon for wedding budget. Ideally for about 100 people in total.

However, I'm starting to think 16/17k is a bit tricky for a barn. We may do it in our flat. Our flat can probably hold four people (two being us). It'll certainly keep the costs down!

• minimorecambe
    Beginner August 2013
    minimorecambe ·
    • Hide content

It always amazes me how much people are willing to pay for a wedding!

We are having 60 to the day do and around 80/90 at the night do.

With everything including my dress, suits, flowers, dj, photographer, decoration, accessories etc our wedding is costing no more than £7000.

Completely the individuals choice and circumstances but I just can not work out how people can spend upwards of £1500!

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's all relative though. Some people here have done weddings on £2-3k, so they would find your budget probably pretty shocking.

There will always be those who spend more, and those who spend less.

• barry@bwvideofilms.co.uk
    barry@bwvideofilms.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

Last week I filmed for the first time at Ramster Hall in the Surrey Hills between Chiddingfold and Haslemere. It's a bit unusual but I was very impressed. It has two very attractive large function rooms around a nice courtyard and is attached to a private mansion. The family help with the organisation and were extremely friendly and helpful. You get the run of the adjacent beautiful Ramster Gardens which are also open to the public. I have no idea how much it costs but it's well worth a look.

By the way it rained most of the day but they cleared one of the ceremony room in good time for drinks and photos indoors. Beware that some of the barn venues have nowhere to go if it rains!

• BubblesKM
    Beginner October 2014
    BubblesKM ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We are getting married at Rhinefield House in the New Forest - google it on handpicked hotels xx

• StaceyLorraine
    Beginner July 2014
    StaceyLorraine ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm also having my wedding reception at Random Hall and agree with everything Sam says its stunning... i do however have pictures Smiley tongue

• B
    Beginner June 2014
    bashmore ·
    • Hide content

Well we don't want to be spending that much! We've been trying to cut it down as much as we can to make as cheap as possible. But with big family numbers pushing the guest list up it doesn't help.

Also, I'm guessing where the wedding is plays a huge part. If we were having it where I come from (Birmingham) we'd be able to do it cheaper as costs would be lower. But, with the majority of people we know living down south it makes sense to have the wedding there. The downside being it's costlier.

Also, our budget of 16k also includes dress, suit etc too.

• Missmadgiggles
    Beginner August 2013
    Missmadgiggles ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Have you thought about slightly more unusual venues, like wildlife parks, museum venues? I'm having mine at the Hawk Conservancy Trust, nr Andover. I don't think it'll be quite big enough for what you want to do (max numbers for the ceremony is 45, evening reception dinner is 120), but there may be places that hold bigger numbers. The ceremony/reception isn't in the prettiest building, but the grounds and activities supplied more than make up for lack of old world charm. All in all our wedding is going to cost about 12K, including dress, TOG, cars etc.

A friend of our had theirs at the Imperial War Museum in Duxford. It was 1940's themed and we had the run of the museum during the day. They even supplied a Spitfire for the photos :-). Don't know how much it cost, but a more unusual venue might be worth a look.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics