Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner July 2015

Venue help! Greater Manchester and surrounding areas

BridetobeMrsS, 15 of June of 2014 at 18:37 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi everyone,

first post here! Smiley smile

I got engaged one year ago and with my BM's help I'm currently knuckling down to sort a venue. I want to get married May 2015 so I really need to get something booked ASAP and it's starting to make me feel stressed already! Once venue has been chosen I can book the church.

My main concern is, of course, budget. We want 60 day guests for wedding breakfast with drinks and an evening reception for approx 100. Our absolute top end budget would be £4k for this, and it's proving incredibly hard to find something suitable and affordable. I'm based in Tameside, SK16 postcode and want a venue within 30 mins drive. So far I have looked at:

Windy harbour Farm hotel, Glossop - very affordable (everything I want for less than £3k, exclusive use of venue for free too) and great reputation for yummy food. This was the first venue I looked at and I initially liked it a lot, however, the venue is made up of lots of smaller areas, smallish L shaped dining area, small lounge area with sofas, small outdoor garden, smallish dancing room with bar. Someone told me that a wedding they attended there was nice but felt very segregated and split up, and this put me off hugely. It's made me realise I want a venue with a large(ish) room where seating and dancing etc is all together, so I've ruled this venue out Smiley sad

Hyde Bank Farm, Romiley - is a bit out of budget, I thought I'd like this venue a lot but after attending a wedding there myself I wasn't hugely keen overall.

Clough Manor, Denshaw - again, turned out to be over budget and I didn't like the function room, long and narrow with no natural light, I didn't get a good vibe from this place.

White Hart at Lydgate - I've absolutely fallen in love with the Oak Room, I thought it was beautiful. It seems like 2015 availability is very limited and the costings for my numbers came to approx £6k. GUTTED!

The Huntsman Inn, Holmfirth - visited here today. Cost came up to £4.5k so is slightly over budget. Beautiful setting, the room was nice and what I want with regards to large-ish open plan room. I wasn't blown away (and the staff were not very accommodating at all, despite telling us on the phone it was ok to drop in anytime today) but it was nice enough.

I'm not expecting to be able to find a mind blowingly stunning wedding venue for my requirements and budget by any means, I'm realistic. I would settle for something nice, which makes me think "I'd be happy to have my reception here".

Could anyone suggest anything at all for me to have a look at? My only no-no's are Smokies and Village hotels (just to make me seem even more picky!) Smiley sad

i cannot face any more fruitless google searching - please help!!

thank you! Xx

6 replies

Latest activity by Mazza32, 15 of June of 2014 at 20:04
  • RizzieRazzle
    Beginner August 2014
    RizzieRazzle ·
    • Hide content

Hiya, I'm from Manchester and we're planning our wedding at The Fisherman's Retreat (which is just outside of Manc and 20ish miles away from SK16). Their prices vary depending on the day of the week you're after (£3.5k for Mon - Thur, £5.5k for Fri and £7.5k Sat or Sun) but the venue is beautiful and surrounded by acres of land and honestly, it's worth the money.

Their website (fishermansretreat.com) has loads of info about weddings Smiley smile

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

The Lowry? Or is that too far? I don't drive so I'm not very good at driving distances!

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    Mazza32 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, have you had a look at Oaklands Hall in Hyde? A few people I know have had/ having their wedding there. It seems to cater for every budget and they have new room with it own bar which looks great! The Village hotels were a 'no no' for me to! I also agree with your points on Windy Harbour my friend got married there last year ? I found my venue by just driving around and turning up at places, good luck, I'm sure you will find something you'll know as soon as you walk in! Xx

• B
    Beginner July 2015
    BridetobeMrsS ·
    • Hide content

Wow the photos on fishermans retreat website look beautiful! I wi definitely look into getting a price together for it to see whether it's an option! Thank you!

i hadn't even considered the Lowry, I had been automatically drawn more towards a country pub type setting, assuming that these would be the most affordable option. I've just had a quick look on the website and at a glance, while the prices are definitely more reasonable than I expected, it would say the total costs would definitely stretch beyond my budget Smiley sad( thank you for the suggestion though, really appreciate the help!

any more ideas very gratefully received! Smiley smile

• RizzieRazzle
    Beginner August 2014
    RizzieRazzle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I fell in love straight away and once OH saw it too we knew it was the place we wanted Smiley smile
    They're having an open day in July so may be worth a gander? (And may see you there!)

The Hitched website is good for finding more ideas on venues too! Take a look: https://www.hitched.co.uk/wedding-venues/sk16.htm

• B
    Beginner July 2015
    BridetobeMrsS ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Mazza, I'll look into the Oaklands, I know where abouts it is as I pass by there on my way to work each day, but I've never been in there myself. The only thing that would put me off is it's almost on my doorstep, only about a mile or so away from my house - in my (seemingly very picky) head, I envisioned travelling slightly further out, a bit more away from 'the norm' for my wedding venue, but beggars can't be choosers because I also don't want to have to drag my guests out too far! doh!

Do you live in the area? Can I ask where your wedding venue is? Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    Mazza32 ·
    • Hide content

I live right by it! lol (moving too Glossop area soon...) I see what you mean by wanting something different a bit further away, when I was looking for venues Oaklands hadn't finished the new room and I wasn't keen on the old room. But I went too the open day a couple of months ago and it looked lovely!

I was a drive out with my Mum looking for venues around Cheshire after looking at a few and not feeling it in any of them we went past Marriott at Manchester Airport on way home, and on the off chance went in to see what it was like, loved it and a week later booked it! ? Xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics