Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner September 2015

Venue help west yorkshire

SunnyPurpleBridesmaid250, 29 of September of 2014 at 21:11 Posted on Planning 0 9

I recently got engaged and have started looking at venues - which is proving impossible. I moved to Leeds 4 years ago and bought our house last year near Roundhay. But unfortunately I don't know the local countryside all that well.

I'm looking for ideally a venue that is a blank canvas with a bit of character, ideally a barn or a hall that I can look to transform And get in caterers. When googling it brings up all the usual suspects which are a bit more commercial and mainstream so I'm in desperate need of some local knowledge that know of any gems?!!

9 replies

Latest activity by rambosmum, 3 of October of 2014 at 10:56
  • A
    Beginner July 2015
    AmyE85 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, welcome to the forum. I'm completely new here too and just wanted to say hello as a fellow west Yorkshire gal! I'm not too familiar with Leeds area as we live in Upper Denby near Huddersfield, so I'm sorry can't offer more advice on any of the non-mainstream places. You could search 'pub restaurants' on yell.com. I tried this and it came up with a few decent hotels / pubs with function rooms that I wasn't even aware of in my area.

I'm a bit like you in that I'm not too bothered about somewhere 'commercial' so edging closer to getting a marquee

Good luck!

Amy

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Hi and welcome Smiley smile Try looking for vilage halls in the surrounding villages like this one

http://www.ekvh.org.uk/village-hall-hire/weddings

You get a lot of freedom with them and some are gorgeous

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

Hello & welcome! I live in Leeds (Adel, not far from Roundhay!)

I'm a wedding photographer so am familiar with local venues. Have you got a budget in mind? There's a barn/restaurant on Otley Chevin called the Cheerful Chilli but they only serve vegetarian food.

One of the really unique venues where you can bring in catering is Left Bank Leeds, an old church in Burley.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Hi - I'm also in West Yorkshire and know a lot of the venues around. There aren't that many to be honest who will allow outside caterers. The ones that do tend to be council owned properties such as Town Halls, community centres and local village halls. Does it have to be in Leeds? There used to be a barn house in Mirfield called Croft House which we used for many years for our daughter's birthday parties when she was little and they allowed caterers in. Not sure if it is still open now though.

The other alternative is barn type venues with reasonable prices. Our daughter got married at The Huntsman Inn in Holmfirth which has a very good reputation for food. Almost all of the guests were from Leeds and Huddersfield and stayed at the venue or locally. The costs were very reasonable and the room seats 100. The only slight drawback is that it is quite high up on the moors and fairly remote and in winter time they do get snowed in for days on end but the views are amazing!

• R
    Beginner December 2014
    rambosmum ·
    • Hide content

Northorpe Hall in Mirfield is exactly what you are looking for I'd bet. It's a children's charity but they hire out their barn for weddings and all the proceeds go to the charity.

I was MOH at a wedding there last year, the food was lovely, the bar prices good and the venue is just stunning. I wanted my wedding there but want a church wedding and didn't want the hour and a bit drive from where we live- it's only about half an hour from Roundhay (I work in Huddersfield) but they are registered for civil weddings. The place is just a blank canvas- apart from round and oblong tables the venue hasn't got much- they have the most hideous multi-coloured chairs but they will hire you some others if you would prefer or you can just do it yourself. My friend had a company called 'posh frocks and wellies' decorate the venue for them. It looked fantastic. It has old beams and an exposed stone wall. And I love the idea of the profit going back in to something rather than someone's pocket!

https://northorpebarn.co.uk/ just click on the photos link on the left hand side to see more.

It can accommodate up to 80/90 for a sit down (the website says 65 but my friend had 78) and 120 or more for the evening.

• J
    Beginner May 2016
    Jade the Bride ·
    • Hide content

I will be keeping an eye on this topic as I am struggling with the same thing. For me it's also budget as all the venues are so £££!

Good luck Smiley smile

• S
    Beginner September 2015
    SunnyPurpleBridesmaid250 ·
    • Hide content

Wow thanks for all of the advice!

Glad some of the suggestions I had somehow managed to find already - so glad I'm not completely on the wrong page as everyone else! I will definitely be checking the others out. Intersting about Northope Hall - as I had seen it but had discounted it due to the numbers they had said on their website - shows I need to actually ask before discounting places!

Thanks!

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

I remembered another place last night that might be a possibility and that's Farmer Copley's in Featherstone (again not a million miles from Leeds) who had a wedding there when we went last week. Farmer Copleys is basically a working farm with a large farm shop and restaurant on site. They also have a maze in the summertime for the kids which seems very popular. The farm animals are also available on site for children to stroke. Anyway, last week when we went, as we approached the farm, we saw some large tipis in the top field and when we turned in the drive, there were signs saying 'Wedding parking this way". Might be worth investigating.

• X
    Beginner December 2014
    xmasangel14 ·
    • Hide content

Hi sunnypurple, I've lived in Leeds my whole life, from Moortown so not too far from you. Have you looked at Oakwell hall near batley? You can marry in the hall and have the reception in the barn next door and yes you can do your own catering. Was going to have my own wedding here but it's closed over christmas and I had my heart set on christmas wedding. Good luck with everything. ?

http://www.friendsofoakwellhall.org.uk/wedding-venue/wedding-receptions

• R
    Beginner December 2014
    rambosmum ·
    • Hide content

There's a petting zoo in Sheffield where the farm house is a wedding venue with a marquee in the garden. My friend had her wedding there- you need to bring everything but tables with you but it was beautiful.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics