Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

W
Beginner July 2012

Venue price increase due to VAT?

Wherts2b, 10 February, 2011 at 08:33 Posted on Planning 0 8

Has anyone else been stung by this? We haven't had communication in writing but i noticed that in the most recent wedding brochure for our venue booked last year, the price per head has gone up by £15! xx

8 replies

Latest activity by Wherts2b, 10 February, 2011 at 11:47
  • overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

It depends on the venue and your contract I think. For our daughter's wedding, we were given the option of paying the balance before January and we could have it at the pre-VAT increased price or waiting till after and paying the extra. As it was only a matter of a few weeks difference, we paid beforehand so saved a little bit. Some venues have it as a T & C in their brochures that prices can be subject to change if the VAT rate changes.

• W
    Beginner July 2012
    Wherts2b ·
    • Hide content

Thanks. Ours states prices could change due to "circumstances outside of our control" which i'm assuming would include VAT. Just scared it could go up again next year and it's difficult to budget when the prices could vary again. We appear to be safe with other suppliers we have booked such as photographer and musician xxx

• Tony Lewis HIB
    Tony Lewis HIB ·
    • Hide content

I remember this round of questions when the VAT when down briefly to 15% from 17.5% a couple of years ago. Some suppliers passed on the saving to their customers and others didn't. Clearly this time round, with a VAT increase, some suppliers will be charging more and others might not (unlikely I fear). I'd suggest that if you have signed paperwork agreeing a price INCLUDING VAT then you'll be ok. If you'd signed at a price PLUS VAT and the small print states that "VAT is subject to fluctuations out of their control" or similar wording then you may have a bit of a price hike on your hands.

Bear in mind though that it will only (I know - "only" is easy for me to say!) be another 2.5% or £2.50 per £100 spent. Don't let them charge you over and above that. If the price per head this year has gone up by £15 that sounds to me (knowing roughly what venues charge per head) like more than just a VAT increase - that'll be a strategic rise in price too. Don't be fooled as you will have agreed your price last year and if they insist that you need to pay the VAT price rise, all you need to pay is the additional 2.5% and NOT their 2011 prices.

Hope that helps

Tony

RS

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Our venue contract stated that prices included VAT at the prevailing rate - this means that the package price we signed up for 18 months ago remains the same. If you are concerned, give your venue a call.

• D
    Beginner April 2011
    dotcomm ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Actually, putting my mathematician's hat on here, the increase in price from 2010 levels to 2011 levels is 2.13% not 2.5%. The VAT may have increased by 2.5%, but all your prices will already have 17.5% VAT included (unless it's stated ex VAT). If prices have been quoted including VAT, they will increase by 2.13%, so £2.13 in every £100. Just didn't want you to be overcharged Smiley smile

• F
    Beginner October 2011
    fatbride ·
    • Hide content

I got my wedding pack just after christmas and when i booked the venue the first thing i asked was would it include the new VAT prices (it did), just so i was not stung at a later date.

• W
    Beginner July 2012
    Wherts2b ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone. We have a package price for 40 guests, and in the 2012 price guide this has actually decreased by £150. We then have to pay an additional £75 per head for additional guests (we will be having 10) but the 2012 prices are now £89 per head. I'm no mathematician - this sounds like more than a 2.5% increase? So what should we be paying per head? And where do you think we stand with the 40 guest package price? If they have decreased this and then try to charge us extra to cover VAT we're going to be loads worse off xx

• Tony Lewis HIB
    Tony Lewis HIB ·
    • Hide content

Do you know what - I think you're worrying unnecessarily about 2012 prices. You presumably agreed the package price for 40 guests last year and the additional rate for extra guests at that time too? If you signed a contract to that effect and the venue is a reputable one, there will be no change in the per head charge. The only change MIGHT be that they charge you the extra VAT - it depends on the letter of your contract.

2012 prices probably are more than a 2.5% (or 2.13% - yes, dotcomm I see your maths there - trying to keep it simple) increase on the prices you agreed - prices change all the time.

But I think the bottom line is assuming both parties signed a contract agreeing a figure per head, they can't change that.

Why dont you give your venue a quick call and ask them to clarify?

Let us know what you find out!

T

• W
    Beginner July 2012
    Wherts2b ·
    • Hide content

Lol i think you're right, i am panicking unnecessarily! I just like to be in control! I've hassled the venue enough recently for various other issues so will sit on it for a while and wait to see if they contact me first (as contract does say they will notify you in writing if prices amend due to circumstances out of their control). Thanks for the advice xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics