Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Nyarai
Beginner September 2022 Nottinghamshire

Venue problems

Nyarai, 1 of September of 2022 at 11:38 Posted on Planning 0 11
Hi I need some help don’t know who to turn to. We are getting married in 3 days and the venue has emailed us to say that their lift is not working. Now I have vendors bringing a dance floor, DJ bringing speakers, venue stylist with their stuff.
I’ve approached the vendors to inform them about the lift not working and they have turned around and said they will need to charge me to bring extra workmen for the jobs. The bill is is getting bigger and bigger and to say it’s stressing me out is an understatement

11 replies

Latest activity by Nyarai, 2 of September of 2022 at 16:15
  • Lucy
    Savvy September 2022 Hampshire
    Lucy ·
    • Hide content
    Please reach out to the venue. It is not acceptable that as a business they are not providing the service of the lift. What if there are disabled guests? Check your contract with them but I suggest telling them you will be passing the extra cost onto them to settle. Please do not get too stressed, it will all happen and you will have a great day, just a list minute hiccup but not something that cannot be overcome.
  • Nyarai
    Nyarai ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Lucy, they are not budging. They are saying it’s out of their control that the lift broke
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

If you have not paid your final balance yet withhold the amount you are now being charged by suppliers. If you have, then approach them to say whilst you understand the situation is out of their control, they are not offering any alternative (which if only lift could be a HS issue anyway if the main hosting space is upstairs) and it is not reasonable for you to bear the cost due to there being no lift. They will have insurance and I would suggest they recover the cost that way, but i can see it is hard for you as I guess you have to pay the other suppliers and then try to reclaim from the venue, which is likely to be difficult. As hard as it is, please try to not let it stress you out, focus on your day and then deal with it after

• Sarah
    Dedicated October 2022 Swansea
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hear you are having this experience. A few thoughts (which may or may not be helpful): Firstly tell them that you have guests who will require the lift to be inclusive of their needs so now need the venue to provide adjustments (not sure if you do have anyone elderly or with any limited mobility/an injury so have temporary disability etc.) but I would put this to them to see their response. Depending on the venue they may have a duty of care/be required to make reasonable adjustments even if the lift breakage is out of their control https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/discrimination/what-are-the-different-types-of-discrimination/duty-to-make-reasonable-adjustments-for-disabled-people/ - I would still be quoting some key phrases at them around a reputable venue needing to be inclusive and asking for them to provide me with the adjustments they intend to put in place to be inclusive and safe on the day and I would also ask for things like their risk assessments as if I have people on site (work on a campus) who cannot manage stairs we need emergency evacuation processes to accommodate their needs - this may nudge them to actually get the repairs done! If you have a contract check the small print, also look at wedding insurance if you have it - this could be considered a supplier failure so you could claim any costs back if it comes down to it. If you have had a good relationship up till now maybe try to speak to someone in person and see if they can provide some extra staff at the venue as a gesture of good will to provide the same level of service to you and limit additional supplier costs? Good luck xxx

• Nyarai
    Nyarai ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Sarah that was quite helpful, they have offered to have extra staff on the day to help out
  • Nyarai
    Nyarai ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Charlotte thank you, we’ve already paid the final balance, but they have agreed to have more staff to help out
  • Lucy
    Savvy September 2022 Hampshire
    Lucy ·
    • Hide content
    Glad they have offered to have more staff help out. Hopefully this will stop too much extra cost. Now try and relax and enjoy the day. I get married on Saturday and can’t wait for it to get here!
  • Nyarai
    Nyarai ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes that was a relief.
    Congratulations for Saturday, hope your day goes well
  • E
    Beginner September 2022 Cornwall
    Esme ·
    • Hide content
    Sorry to hear that this has happened. Maybe try another venue. I’m not sure.
    What was the wedding venues name?
  • Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    She cannot try another venue as her wedding is tomorrow.
    I’m glad the venue have agreed to add extra staff but not having a working lift or stairlift is ridiculous. My MIL had to use a wheelchair and the stairlift at our venue (they had no lift at all as it’s a heritage museum) and not having the stairlift would have been a nightmare.
    Hope the day is everything you have dreamt of!
  • Nyarai
    Nyarai ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you, can’t wait now

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics