Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hugo Brambles
Beginner August 2002

Venue Room Hire Charge?

Hugo Brambles, 16 October, 2009 at 17:58 Posted on Planning 0 15

Is that normal? I was a bit suprised at the list of fees the venue has sent and they charge £500 for room hire? It just seems a bit much to me when we've got to have their food, their drink, people will be hiring bedrooms and spending money at the bar all afternoon/evening?

15 replies

Latest activity by 1Lucie, 18 October, 2009 at 21:11
  • B
    Beginner July 2010
    brideseekingblush ·
    • Hide content

Tbh £500 sounds really low - mine is £1700 and the bulk of places I saw charged £4000-£5000 for venue hire (which was sometimes a suite of rooms but still.

• sparkles1984
    Beginner
    sparkles1984 ·
    • Hide content

After hearing so much on this I feel I have been very lucky in getting my venue for the whole day including 2 rooms and a private bar for only £200 for the day. Obviously we have the food and stuff to pay for but the venue was very reasonable.

• B
    Beginner July 2010
    brideseekingblush ·
    • Hide content

Yup, London/SE makes a big old difference.....Eltham Palace is £6500 Although, I know it is a lot less for hotels because normally the food/drink is a bit more pricey.

• BoroKate
    Beginner September 2010
    BoroKate ·
    • Hide content

The charge for our room was £300 so its seems as though thats nothing compared to what some of you guys are paying.

Anyway try to negotiate with them, I told my venue how the room charge was taking me slightly over budget and that they'd make their money back at the bar as my family are a bunch of big drinkers lol. So as long as I have a minimum of 40 day and 60 evening guests they are waiving the room fee.

My venue is nothing flash and only quite small and more popular venues might be less flexible about this but if you don't ask you don't get!

• jem179
    Beginner May 2010
    jem179 ·
    • Hide content

We aren't paying any room hire charge. We are using two rooms at the hotel, one for the sit down and the other for the party and as we are having both the wedding breakfast and the evening do there they don't charge a room hire fee. We would only have had to pay a hire fee if we were having a civil ceremony there or if we were only having an evening reception. We found that at pretty much every venue we looked at although some had an exclusive use charge (again ours has waived this too).

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

Our venue hire is £300 but this is only because we are getting married in the hotel - if we were just having the evening reception there I don't think there was a charge.

One of the other places we looked at was £900 which we thought was a bit much.

Personally I dont think there should be a hire charge at all - if you are having your wedding there you will be spending plenty of money without them trying to get more out of you but hey, thats just me!!!!

• The BFG
    Beginner August 2010
    The BFG ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Pretty much the same scenario with ours too, as we are doing it all in the one place from the ceremony to the evening party!

• Hugo Brambles
    Beginner August 2002
    Hugo Brambles ·
    • Hide content

I think its just greedy on their part and its quite annoyed me.

• GEMINIBEBE
    Beginner August 2010
    GEMINIBEBE ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I know what you mean. My room charge is £750. I think Im paying quite enough with, staying the night before (room charge £230) having the whole day and reception there paying for all food and drinks, with exclusive use of the hotel and filling all the accomodation for the wedding night. May have to have a word with them................

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Normal. we paid 500 for the room which was the deposit.....

• 22tango
    Beginner April 2010
    22tango ·
    • Hide content

Our venue was 1500 but that includes all 'rooms' per say. so the reception and ceremony are in the same room and there's another 2 we can use if it rains - otherwise people will be outside (fingers crossed!). will probably have to think of decorations for the 2 extra rooms just in case which seems like a bit of a waste - actually I forgot all about allocating for them until now - oops!

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's what happens when you mention the "W" word! It bugs me so much! I can't believe how much they charge for anything relating to weddings!!

• Hugo Brambles
    Beginner August 2002
    Hugo Brambles ·
    • Hide content

We've not booked anything yet so I'm going to have a look round other local venues. Plus it's the weekend after new years eve which I would have thought was going to be probably the quietest weekend in the whole bloomin year!!!!

• Nikki1888
    Beginner June 2011
    Nikki1888 ·
    • Hide content

It is widely done yeah

Im lucky due to having more than their minimum numbers for ceremony i get my ballroom for free. So with 500 paid for deposit i have only 300 to put to it to cover ceremony and venue hire

• 1Lucie
    Beginner May 2011
    1Lucie ·
    • Hide content

Yep very normal to me, all venues i have looked at charge £500-£00,000s!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics