Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Emma
Beginner July 2024 Buckinghamshire

Venue Terms and Conditions

Emma, 18 of July of 2022 at 12:52 Posted on Planning 0 6

We are not getting married for two years. Our venue wants us to be paid up, for just venue hire 13 months in advance. I feel this is very early, is there any way to challenge them on this. It also means once paid up no refunds or return of deposit. Unless they rebook our date. I think I can get it covered by wedding insurance. However I feel the venue is taking advantage because we are not in a rush to get married. Thoughts? What seems to be a reasonable length of time for venue hire to be paid in advance. p.s. this does not include food.

6 replies

Latest activity by Richard, 19 of July of 2022 at 18:45
  • Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content
    Mmm seems a bit too early and like they possibly need to use your cash to prop the business up. My wedding is this Saturday 23rd and our venue is doing our food as well. We paid the final bill on Friday 15th! We booked in Jan 2021 and paid a £500 deposit. We didn’t pay anything else for months, I think it was this May 2022 we paid the next instalment so I think it’s a bit cheeky personally but this is just my experience. Good luck
  • L
    Savvy September 2022 Tyne & Wear
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    This is most definitely an “unfair” contract. Tell them that under the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 this is not reasonable and they should amend their terms
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    I am a contract manager and this is a huge red flag! Normally you would bay 20% ish deposit in booking and then final balance 3 months before. The fact they want payment in full so far I'm advance to me indicates financial difficulty and I would be running a mile. I would agree this fall's in unfair conttact terms and would challenge and ask them to review the terms as in honesty, your numbers may change prior to wedding so are there minimum requirements that you are currently over, but could r euce if needed so potentially you will over pay if up front now. I would offer 20% now, 30% a year before and then final 50% followimg your final planning meeting which is where the firmd numbers and costs are agreed.
  • A
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content

We were asked for 50% a year in advance which we felt was too much too soon, we approached the venue with a staggered payment plan of this 50% which brought the payments closer to the wedding date and they agreed - always worth asking I'd say!

• K
    Dedicated June 2023 Essex
    Kirsty ·
    • Hide content

We booked our wedding in December 2020 for June 2023. We paid a £500 deposit at the time of booking and then we paid £2000 a year before the wedding which was June this year. We then pay 50% of what is left 6 months before the wedding and the remaining balance 6 weeks before the wedding.

I would agree that the venue you are looking at have an unfair contract and it is a big red flag that they need payment so early. You wouldn't normally settle the balance until your final numbers, menu choices etc are confirmed, which is around 6 weeks before in most cases. 13 months before is just ridiculous.

• Richard
    Dedicated May 2022 Berkshire
    Richard ·
    • Hide content
    Yeh that's a lot to ask for.... We paid 500gbp deposit when I booked it a year ahead of time and then the remainder 14 days before the wedding

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics