Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner June 2012

Venue wont allow chinese lanterns

rachel112, 14 May, 2012 at 13:27 Posted on Planning 0 10

I had ordered these (the eco ones as i dont really agree with them either) but the venue wont let us put them off as they said the local farmers dont like it. they do look lovely but thats fine. (anyone want 20 of them?!). I wanted to use them as a finale sort of thing when we are leaving- any suggestions what else i could do? i was thinking about giving the guests some sparklers, not quite the same but it was all i could think of!

10 replies

Latest activity by Jason Clark DJ, 15 May, 2012 at 00:30
  • Sloth
    Sloth ·
    • Hide content

I watched a 4 weddings that had these - and actually turned dangerous as people arn't patient enough to let them completely full, they went everywhere but up!!

I am doing sparklers I think people will really enjoy it!

• R
    Beginner June 2012
    rachel112 ·
    • Hide content

Really, is that right. Maybe not a bad thing they dont allow them, i do think they could be dangerous.

Will go for the sparkler idea then, how are you going to light these and where did you get them from?

• westlakedesignsbasic
    westlakedesignsbasic ·
    • Hide content

I set fire to the next door neighbours garden on new years eve with one of these :0 ooooppss

• Sloth
    Sloth ·
    • Hide content

Its probably why there not allowed!

I haven't purchased the sparklers yet, need to look into that. But was going to nominate a sensible person to have official lighing them and a bucket to put them in at the end - do it as a group activity though not sure when in the evening to do it.

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content

Hi all

Venues can struggle to get insurance for sky lanterns, which may be why they're not allowed. Also if a venue is anywhere near a flight path they can cause problems. They can look amazing, but yes as a few people have said tipsy guests + fire = potential disaster! ? Also if you are having them, make sure you get the eco and cow-friendly lanterns

Ali x

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This. They're a fire hazard. I forget where exactly, but a barn nearby to one wedding venue was set alight by one!

• cford09
    Beginner March 2013
    cford09 ·
    • Hide content

Our venue don't allow them as it is in the middle of the country and a nearby field was set alight and a sheep was killed... I was sad when she told me we couldn't have them but it's definitely justified.

• V
    Beginner April 2013
    Vintage84 ·
    • Hide content

A word of warning about anything fire based at the end of the night. Your guests will be drunk, for gods sake make sure there's plenty of room or you could find singe marks in your dress!!!!

• Puddycat
    Beginner December 2012
    Puddycat ·
    • Hide content

NOOOOOOOO, lanterns are a huge no! My H2B is a Firefighter both full time & retained and they have caused all manner of trouble from setting fire to property, barns, fields of crops and heath land! The wire in them is also a hazard to wildlife. Many of the eco ones are fire retardant paper which then litters the landscape until they bio-degrade!

Please please please think very carefully about the implications of sky lanterns. Why not have Chinese fire crackers?

• llindsey
    Beginner June 2012
    llindsey ·
    • Hide content

You can get LED Balloons now, I imagine if you set lots off it would have a pretty good effect.

No idea on cost either, only heard of them the other day when there was an offer on groupon.

Also, you would have to fill them with helium to get them to go up in the air.

• Jason Clark DJ
    Jason Clark DJ ·
    • Hide content

We had sparklers at our Wedding (bonfire night!). They went down a treat, I wish I'd got more.
    We didn't have many kids (mine are 12 and 15), and it filled the gap whilst the room was being turned around.

Highly recommended fun for Adults and the older kids! Make sure you have a bucket of water to place them in, and ideally a clean bucket of water to hand if someone gets burnt.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics