Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner September 2014

venues: blank canvas or fully organised?

beckyg85, 5 of January of 2014 at 16:50 Posted on Planning 0 5

Evening,

I'm torn between two venues that are COMPLETELY different. One is a barn in North Yorkshire that isn't even open yet (first wedding booked for May) but offers great potential for being able to source own catering, bring own wine/drinks and decorate in our own way as there are no restrictions. There is also accomodation for over 20 people in cottages on site. The second option is an amazing, quirky hotel/restaurant with great food, lots of character, fab accomodation options etc. There is much less flexibility here but the options available are great so you don't really need it.

I'm really looking for any advice from people who have planned 'blank canvas' weddings - if you would recommend it, what you are finding the pros and cons of this option to be. I'm finding that the costs are already spiralling a bit out of control as I'm having to source each different aspect myself rather than it being included as any sort of package. i'm also concerned about the weather - the space is really beautiful and if it was dry then it would be a stunning location. However I can't help but worry about what impact a rainy day might have. We are looking to get a marquee/yurt as well for an extra space in the event of rain but this obviously just adds to the cost as well.

Just wondering what other people in a similar situation have done to manage this?

Thanks, Becky x

5 replies

Latest activity by *Funky*, 5 of January of 2014 at 19:51
  • jfilsell
    Beginner March 2014
    jfilsell ·
    • Hide content

Hello! We're having a 'blank canvas' wedding in March. We chose the venue (Kelmarsh Hall in Northamptonshire) because its beautiful and also because we were sick of viewing hotels and other venues that wanted to tie you into packages that just didn't suit. The pros are the same as the ones you listed: freedom, bring own booze etc. It has taken a bit more work but the venue have helped loads so far.

Kelmarsh have been doing weddings for about 10 years so have trusted caterers they work with, and other suppliers. My biggest concern over your first venue would be that they've not done any weddings there yet - if they're not going to give you any support or recommendations that might be tricky. And yes, you definitely need to keep an eye on the budget!

Go with your gut feeling - reading between the lines on your post it sounds like you're more excited about the restaurant venue IMHO ?

• dearbarbie
    Beginner July 2015
    dearbarbie ·
    • Hide content

Blank canvas here too!

I'm super creative so want to dress up the places myself, plus don't want the venue dictating to me what menu and drinks packages I have to have, we're dry hiring two places.

If I was in a rush, and less of an indie bride I'd prob go with a package but a friend is being told what to have etc., and I'd go insane...am doing most things myself - decor, hiring caterer, etc. I like the freedom it gives, and I feel less of a wedding conveyor belt but some people just find it easier to be given it.

I wouldn't expect to pay £80 per person for food and drink at a decent restaurant so refuse to pay it for a bulk-cooked wedding breakfast!

• B
    Beginner September 2014
    beckyg85 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. I totally agree about the whole package thing. The restaurant/hotel option we have looked at is actually very unique and doesn't feel like any other hotel weddding I've been to before. Also even though the food package is quite expensive it is still cheaper than some I've seen and it is actually not much different to the actual menu costs. The additional cost of food is balanced out though as there is no hire charge. Also the staff are meant to be fab. The downside is that the accommodation and bar prices are much more expensive and I would feel guilty about that, even though we would put some wine on the tables etc. The good thing about the barn option s that we could bring in all our own wine/ales etc and people could stay for a long weekend, camp if they wanted etc. There is also as you say the concern that it isn't open yet although we are looking at september so I'd hope that the weddings that take place over the summer would allow any initial teething problems to be resolved.

People keep telling me to go with my gut but I don't actually know what my gut is telling me...araghhhhh

xxx

• dearbarbie
    Beginner July 2015
    dearbarbie ·
    • Hide content

It certainly sounds like a toughie! I'd be all out with the pros and cons but heart usually wins over head...how long do you have to make up your mind?

• B
    Beginner September 2014
    beckyg85 ·
    • Hide content

Well we have got the venue, caterers, band on hold and I think we probably have at least another week until they start asking us to confirm. We are meeting the vicar and caterer next weekend which will give us a better idea. We initially wanted a civil ceremony but there is a lovely church just across the field which I think could be lovely.

I meant to ask, how 'outdoorsy' is your venue? The barn bit is inside so the wedding breakfast will be fine in any event but that is the only space there is so we would hire a yurt/marquee for an extra space for drinks reception, when changing the room over for band set up/dance space and potential rain shelter. If yours is quite outdoorsy what are your wet weather plans?

Becky x

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

I think this all boils down the budget.

Blank Canvas's are good if you have the budget to dress them but you can end up spending thousands on lighting/bunting/flowers/decorations etc etc to make them look decent in addition to all the other essential items.

Not all hotels and other such venues that do weddings offer standard package type affairs and many generally don't need much dressing. I got married in a hotel and we didnt have a package nor do they offer packages as far as I am aware and although we did add some decor our venue didn't 'need' it and would have looked equally fab with just a few tealights on the table (our florist ballsed up our flowers so I wish we had just stuck with candles tealights upon reflection)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics