Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner May 2011

Venues in Beds, Herts and Bucks

MrsMRtobe, 17 of August of 2009 at 16:48 Posted on Planning 0 15

Hey everyone, I'm after help/reviews about venues in Beds, Herts and Bucks.

Me and the OH are looking to get married in May 2011 and want somewhere that's affordable (budget of about £4-6,000) and not too big as we're only having about 45 guests in the daytime and then probably about 100 in the evening.

We want somewhere fairly informal and intimate with great photo opportunities indoor and out depending on the weather.

Has anyone else booked a venue in Beds, Herts and Bucks or knows somebody who has got married somewhere?

Would really appreciate any help as we're feeling rather swamped with everything at the moment - everywhere seems so expensive!!

Thanks!!xxx

15 replies

Latest activity by jofenn, 3 of October of 2009 at 23:14
    Beginner July 2010
    *hoppit* ·
    • Hide content

Hello,

I am getting married at three lakes restuarant, westmill farm, ware, herts. Dont know if its too far the other way for you, but we are getting married outside there and having a sit down meal for between 45-50 people after wards before the evening do. its costing us around about £3500 if that helps. think it has more photo ops outside then in though.

its www.threelakesrestaurant.co.uk

in herts there is also tewinbury farm, ware priory, south farm, bluntswood hall, hitchin priory, and plenty more but they are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. some are more expensive than others. if your budget is just for the venue and food then you should be alright with most of these.

• bethanw
    Beginner May 2010
    bethanw ·
    • Hide content

Vicky, i've been to the Three Lakes a couple of times for drinks on a Sunday afternoon as it's not far from where I live. It's beautiful and so peaceful! Good choice.

There's also Fanhams Hall, Hanbury Manor, Ponsbourne Park, Sopwell House. Is Peter around? He's the expert on venues in these areas as the one's we're thinking of might be more on the pricey side.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Keeley, did you want a venue that could also do a civil ceremony or simply a reception venue? This makes a huge difference as to your choice of possibilities.....

And where abouts are you? The three counties you mention cover a large area....we can probably find one for you closer to where you are.

Peter

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have never actually photographed a wedding here, although have only heard very positive comments about the place.

Peter

• velvet_swimming
    Beginner
    velvet_swimming ·
    • Hide content

My H was best man at a wedding here:

http://www.thepriory.net/

It was beautiful.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It is one of my favourite venues.....

Peter

• M
    Beginner July 2010
    meggles24 ·
    • Hide content

I've just booked there- can get some good mid-week deals and they are so helpful

xx

• S
    Beginner June 2009
    SEH ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I am a Wedding Planner based in Buckinghamshire, i also myself got married here two months ago.

Over the past ten years i have built up relationships with many venues, and would love to be able to help you and your Fiance find the perfect venue for you.

I offer an hours free consultation to discuss how we can help, and to show you options.

Please feel free to email me *****************@**********.*** or ****@******************.**.**

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Sarah Andrews

• jordas20
    jordas20 ·
    • Hide content

Hi there ...

Missenden Abbey in HP16 is an oft overlooked venue and I have never found friendlier or more courteous staff, both management and front of house, who will bend over backwards to help make your day a special one. I am based locally and have had the chance to perform at this venue on a few occasions and am always mesmerised by the care they take with their clients... and example to us all.

Hope this helps

Simon

• M
    Beginner May 2011
    MrsMRtobe ·
    • Hide content

Hey Peter,

Yes it would be for the civil ceremony as well and we are in Bedford but are looking at quite a wide area as we haven't really seen anywhere really local that we really like.

Would appreciate any help/suggestions though!

Thanks

• M
    Beginner May 2011
    MrsMRtobe ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all your help guys - keep the suggestions coming though please!!

The Priory Barn looks gorgeous - might be a bit pricey though although like meggles said they have some cheaper offers in the week - don't know how I feel about doing that though, think I'd be worried that no-one would turn up!!

x

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Another consideration is whether or not, you need accommodation for guests. The Priory does have some local hotels. Truth is though that it is a very big barn and 45 guests would be a bit lost in it, although for your evening numbers it would be fine....

Try also the Coltsfoot Retreat. That is a smaller venue with good quality. It does have on site accommodation as well. A wedding I did there was featured in "Brides" magazine.

Peter

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Of the three counties you have mentioned as possibilities, it is worth knowing that Hertfordshire registrars are more photographer friendly than either Bedford or Buckinghamshire ones...

Hertfordshire registrars will allow the photographer at the front in order to capture the exclusive expressions of the two of you as you go through with your vows. Some other counties are very varied in what they allow dependent on which registrar you get....it can be a bit hit and miss.....

• velvet_swimming
    Beginner
    velvet_swimming ·
    • Hide content

Oh you are in Bedford we went to a wedding here last year which was really nice:

http://www.foliohotels.com/barns/weddings/

• M
    Beginner May 2011
    MrsMRtobe ·
    • Hide content

Thanks very much for all of your suggestions ppl, we did look at the Barns hotel as it's nice and local but it seems a bit boring I think because a lot of ppl we know have got married there and we wanted to do something a bit different. A barn wedding sounds good though - it's fairly unusual and very romantic!! xxx

• J
    Beginner September 2009
    jofenn ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Not sure if you've found anywhere yet but I can definatley recommend Durrants House (www.durrantshouse.com) in Croxley Green (near Watford).

It's a fabulous venue - a beautiful old house,with character, set in grounds, very intimate as they only have one wedding there each day. They can do civil ceremony and reception but we had a church wedding so had it as reception only. For sit down meal they can hold a max of about 80 but for the evening you can have over 100. The venue hire was very reasonable (think max price is £1500) and they have in house caterers who were amazing and the food was reasonably priced too. The food was fantastic and the venue managers were brilliant, on the day they couldn't have been more attentive to us (but still remained in the background) and were completely accommodating to however we wanted to have the day.

I'd totally recommend the venue and staff there to anyone, we had the most amazing and stress free day and our guests all complemented both the venue and the staff there to us.

I probably am gushing but I really think we found a fantastic wedding venue, that's quite unique.

Good Luck on your search !!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics