Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner

Venues in Essex - All under one roof if possible

srleigh, 3 of January of 2011 at 14:44 Posted on Planning 0 18

Hi Everyone. Thought I had signed up to Hitched before but obviously not and got confused with another site! I got engaged 2 years ago and we were looking to get married in 2012 (it was quite far away when we decided and I didn't fancy 2013... I used to live in number 13 so not over supersticious but didn't fancy 2013.

I have Muscular Dystrophy and have trouble getting out of low cars and so wouldn't want to go between venues (if we did I'd jump in my mums Jeep hehe but can see me getting a dirty dress lol), just my luck that my friend owns a bentley too lol! So anyway I would like to get married in the same venue as the reception and if possible also be able to stay on site so I don't have to worry about getting home etc.

We don't have a huge budget and it looks at the moment that we have 100 guests, most of which will need to be at the actual ceremony (fiance's family.... aparently it will cause problems and fall outs if they aren't invited.... grrrrr I'm sure they would understand..... but hey ho)

My OH's mum suggested just having a buffet not a sit down meal but I really want a sit down meal as I trip easily lol and can see my food going on my dress, on the floor, or me just sitting there scared to move! lol but its so expensive! We were thinking of just having a sit down meal late in the day as the reception with no disco as we are not dancers and will just be sitting down, although it would be nice to have a first dance. Does anyone have any ideas?

We just want like a roast turkey sit down meal, nothing overly fancy.

The best wedding I ever went to was in a registry office, then went to canary wharf to a place called Jamies Bar, by the thames and it was amazing as they hired it out and we had the choice of thai curry, roast dinner or a pasta dish, then in the evening they had a buffet, but we were all say outside in the sun and so relaxed and amazing! Would love to do that myself but the bar has now changed hands and we live in Essex, and think there may be problems with people not wanting to go to London (if I remember rightly the car park fee was something like £15!)

Would love to do something simliar though, or if not a golf club/hotel.

Any ideas? I love Lords Country Club and Golf Course but there is no accomodation (even though we only live in Wickford ourselves) or Langdon Golf Course but kind of stuck looking at the same venues and fancy something different.

Not fancying Hylands House as I do lots of work stuff there (and now it just reminds me of The Only Way Is Essex!)

18 replies

Latest activity by shani14, 29 of January of 2011 at 11:51
  • Josiep00
    Beginner December 2010
    Josiep00 ·
    • Hide content

I got married at Newland Hall in Essex - it's cheaper midweek. We had roast chicken and it was gorgeous, they also do turkey.

It is all on ground floor, you can get married there and have a lovely reception.

However it is not a hotel so no accomodation, but they can list loads of local hotels for you!

Otherwise there are plenty of other places to get hitched in Essex, you can use this website for it.

Heard a really cheap place with accom is The Old Rectory - wasnt for me, but might be for you?

• S
    Beginner
    srleigh ·
    • Hide content

Great thanks, hadn't seen that one myself. Thanks for your help.

Keep finding nice places but really odd food hehe. Will have a look at that one for sure.

Thank you

And congratulations on your wedding Smiley smile

• May2be
    Beginner July 2011
    May2be ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married in The Reid Rooms. Lovely country venue all on one level with a separate cermony room just across the courtyard where they serve reception drinks. Might be worth a look?

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

There are literally hundreds of lovely venues in essex... the only issue you may find is wanting 100 people to attend the actual ceremony, a lot of places are only licenced to hold 60-80 people...

Hitched has a good directory, order loads of brochures and then try and narrow it down to a few to visit.. you will know when it is the right place!

• SusieWong
    Beginner September 2011
    SusieWong ·
    • Hide content

Hiya, we are getting married at holland on sea, in a lovely hotel called "the kingscliff" they have a few different function rooms, we are using the smaller one which holds up to 120 at a squeeze,eating as a sit down meal..(our lot are sitting down as on the seating plan, but its a buffet), my sister and my mum got married there and its lovely, its on the seafront so its a great view too.xxx

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

Leez Priory in Chelmsford is amazing...and have u seen orsett hall? it is really lovely there.

I went to a wedding at Ashwells Country Club in Brentwood and that was really nice - good food too - no rooms there but plenty of local accom. x

• S
    Beginner
    srleigh ·
    • Hide content

Did want Leez Priory (my middle name is Leigh and my OH is Lee hehe so we thought that was a bit funny too) but its not all on the flat and my god mother went there just before Christmas and said that it's not all on ground level so not suitable for me.

I may have a look at Orsett Hall (last time I went was before the fire a few years ago)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, liking the look of the Reid Rooms. It's a pain trying to get price lists off of people, especially when we were looking last year as they didn't have next years prices! Also when they keep bugging you but still don't send the right info you ask for! I even got a list of civil cermemony licensed venues from Essex Council but help of these venues arn't on there! I think it must have been out of date.

Guessing it will be a lot, but asked for the prices at the Boatyard in Leigh on Sea as you can get married there too and I love it in Leigh on Sea so I'll see what they come back with.

• May2be
    Beginner July 2011
    May2be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Reid Rooms are even lovelier when you visit and I think they advertise their prices online? If not then they definately will send them to you with their brochure and they always have the prices for the current year and the year ahead. Mary Briscoe who runs it is really helpful and we couldn't have asked for anymore from our venue. In fact, it was the only one we went to see and fell in love with it

• L
    Beginner June 2011
    little_miss ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married at Blake Hall in Ongar. All in one place, no accommodation but there are hotels a short drive away.

What about Mary Green Manor in Brentwood a friend got married there and it is all under one roof.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

How about Quendon Manor. It was owned by the same people as Leez although I haven't been to either recently...

• S
    Beginner May 2012
    ShellG ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I am getting married at Friern Manor and having everything there - have you had a look? - very local!

• M
    Beginner May 2011
    Mrs B 2 B! ·
    • Hide content

I am getting married at Friern Manor too and the are very accomadating to your needs and all under one roof! Definarely worth the look. x

• Jason Clark DJ
    Jason Clark DJ ·
    • Hide content

The Fennes Estate in Braintree (Bocking actually) is very popular. I'm not sure if its listed in Hitched, but its only a quick search away.
    I used to live in the village, and its a picturesque area.

At the other end of the Budget- The White Hart Hotel (Braintree) is about 100 Meters from the registry offices in the town.
    There is also a nice Masonic hall in the other direction, also very local to the registry offices. (and walkable in about 10mins)

I was brought up in Essex, and lived in Braintree for about 30 yrs, but now living in Waltham Cross (Herts).

I've played at The Reid Rooms, and they do have limited accommodation (B&G said they are expensive for guests, but I didn't ask the price).
    Their other venue "Room on the Rodings" can also provide a ceremony but with no accommodation, there is a travel-lodge about 5-7 miles away.

If you do find a venue, post back before you book. Others may have experiences there, and may also have some tips!

• Jay-Low
    Beginner
    Jay-Low ·
    • Hide content

Hi and welcome to hitched ?

We were going to book our wedding at Prested Hall in the Colchester area before we found our venue (in Kent). They have loads of rooms on site and do a package which includes the rooms. Have a look on their website

www.prested.co.uk

We loved it and if we hadn't found the venue in Kent we would have booked here.

Good luck with the search!

• Fleur10
    Beginner June 2011
    Fleur10 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, not sure what your budget is but the Boatyard in Leigh-on-Sea can work out quite expensive. We looked into it, its a lovely venue right on the water but if you want to have the entire place to yourself and your guests there is a huge charge for them to close. As an alternative, they can section you off a part but we didnt want the public there as well. The menu can work out expensive as its pretty much geared around seafood.

• S
    Beginner August 2011
    shani14 ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married at Ye Olde PLough House in Brentwood and I know its all on one level.

Might be worth having a look into xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics