Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

G
Beginner August 2014

Venues that allow you to bring your own alcohol?

gc615, 7 of September of 2013 at 15:15 Posted on Planning 0 8

So far every venue I've looked at says that you can't bring your own alcohol. We want to bring our own for an arrival drink and the toast and then have a bar (that guests pay for themselves) for the rest of the evening. Does anyone have any suggestion of the kind of venues that are likely to allow this?

8 replies

Latest activity by dollydoo, 16 of February of 2015 at 13:14
  • missmandymoo
    Dedicated August 2014
    missmandymoo ·
    • Hide content

I only visited 2 venues and both allowed you to provide your own alcohol during wedding breakfast, speeches and drinks reception then all unopened bottles are put into storage and the bar opens. The first venue charged a corkage fee and the second which is the one we eventually went with doesn't. Both venues are converted barns if that helps.

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content

What area are you looking at? X

• G
    Beginner August 2014
    gc615 ·
    • Hide content

The Manchester/Cheshire area.

• goldpants
    Beginner May 2014
    goldpants ·
    • Hide content

Our venue is a barn too, we are supplying prosecco after the ceremoy and for toasts and all the wine for the meal with no corkage to pay. We are essex though.

I agree look for barns instead of hotels that will have kitchens, suppliers and bars galore. And the key is to get a venue that does not charge corkage!

• C
    Beginner July 2014
    Catlady ·
    • Hide content

Have you thought about Village halls? That way you can pretty much do as you please?

Or rent a field for a marquee? Not ideal though.

This is the one issue that I have had to make the biggest compromise with actually. Initially it was me and the OH's single requirement.

But after a two month rollercoaster looking at loads of venues we have booked a place in essex that allows us to provide the drinks all day for free with no corkage.

A pay bar opens after dinner, which we will put a bit of cash behind but then its charging.

Im upset about it, but I love my venue and its a happy middle, it also means that I need to make a few a compromises with other things due to putting cash behind the bar - but hey ho.

• missmandymoo
    Dedicated August 2014
    missmandymoo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well you are in luck in that case! The first venue is Sandhole Oak Barn in Congleton Cheshire. The second one might be a bit far for you but it's The Ashes in Staffordshire. Also maybe look at Heaton Farm Macclesfield as that is also a barn so may or may not allow you to supply your own alcohol. It's another venue we were going to see but after seeing The Ashes we knew it was the one for us so stopped our venue search.

To be honest, you are probably best looking at which venue you like and then decide on drinks afterwards. Being able to bring your own alcohol is great and free corkage is even better but there are a lot of venues that offers a great food and drink package that actually works out cheaper than hiring a barn venue that allow you to supply drinks. Barns can be expensive to hire. The Ashes isn't cheap but we chose it because we love it... the free corkage was just an added bonus.

• alabastamasta
    Beginner May 2014
    alabastamasta ·
    • Hide content

I found some by googling venue in (x) no corkage

It's usually a big selling point for venues (especially wedding ones) so they make a big thing of it

Hope that helps!

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content

Our venue allows free corkage, tabley house in knutsford but we are only using it for ceremony and then drinks reception then Moving on....you can have a marquee in the grounds though! Sometimes corkage works out more expensive than just paying their prices so always worth asking their house wine prices too! Xx

• D
    dollydoo ·
    • Hide content

Where is this please

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics