Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner December 2015

Venue.....too far away? Opinions please!

MrsW2b2016, 14 of June of 2014 at 17:55

Posted on Planning 41

Hey everyone, H2B and I have been to visit our last venue today and absolutely fell in love with it. It's certainly not the cheapest and costs £4.5k to hire but has stunning grounds and is beautiful. It's about 35 minutes (30 miles) from where the majority of our family live. Here's where the...

Hey everyone,

H2B and I have been to visit our last venue today and absolutely fell in love with it. It's certainly not the cheapest and costs £4.5k to hire but has stunning grounds and is beautiful. It's about 35 minutes (30 miles) from where the majority of our family live.

Here's where the problem is! I've just text my parents to tell them we may have found the venue and got a text back from my mum telling me it will save us money as not many people will come because it's too far away!

Are we being unreasonable? I didn't think half an hours drive is too bad and it's pretty much all motorway.

I'm really upset as it's the first thing we would have planned and we're already getting criticised ?

We're not getting married until January 2016 and will be sending out save the date cards in December so everyone will have over a years notice.

Your opinions would be great please. At the moment me and H2B just feel like booking a venue nearer home that we don't really want just to please everyone else!

Sorry for my rant!

Xxx

41 replies

• A
    Beginner April 2015
    AprilBride15 ·
    • Hide content

You will get people who don't want to 'travel'.

BUT if someone wants to spend that special day with you they will - even if they have to travel half the world!

if it's the venue you both want then do it x

• J
    Beginner November 2015
    jesikab4u ·
    • Hide content

Mine is about 25-30 mins. My family have made comments that its a bit far (mainly the older folks) you'll get people complain what ever. Do what you want :-)

• L
    Beginner September 2016
    lpcr ·
    • Hide content

Im getting married in a church and the reception is 30 mins away, I choose my venue on the food (which is fab), and the room size for us, and the setting. It is only near to a few our of guest but people will travel for a wedding so i wouldnt worry about it. Does your venue have rooms for guests to stay overnight if they want to or any places to stay nearby or alternatively you could look into providing a bus from certain places which is what i am considering for the evening guests.

choose the venue which you like (my dad doesnt like mine but you cant please everyone)

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Excellent way to bump an eight month old thread.

• missmoore
    Beginner January 2012
    missmoore ·
    • Hide content

Our venue is a 7 hour drive away from the closest relatives! And yes the guest list has been cut because of it, but we gave 2 years notice so the people we desperately want there are coming Smiley smile

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

For my first wedding the venue was about 25 miles away (all motorway) and my parents kicked up a right fuss over how 'far' it was and how we were unreasonable to expect people to travel and that no one would come! Of course people managed the 20 min drive and it was all fine (apart from choice of groom lol).

My real second wedding was a good 2/3 hours drive for most of H's family and they made it. With enough notice and planning distance shouldn't be an issue.

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

Poppyc0ck! Just book it. THings have changed since your parents got married and distance may have been more of an issue in the past.

If you love it go for it. They'll soon get over it.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

I think it's a bit mad to expect you to only book a venue which is less than 30mins away from where most of your family live... That must really limit it for you.

My venue was about 20-25 mins away from my house but I had people travel from South London to hertfordshire and didn't hear a peep out of them. In fact, I actually had guests from America and New Zealand who didn't moan.

• M
    Beginner December 2014
    MRS RB ·
    • Hide content

My mum can be a bit like this- she assumes what others will want/say/do. Then she spends all her time worrying about organising other people *bangs head against wall* rather then thinking about whats really important.

As others have said a venue less then 30 minutes of everyone is rare and if you love this venue then go for it!

• Calella
    Beginner August 2016
    Calella ·
    • Hide content

Go for it! Our venue is about 30 minutes away. We're looking into putting on a bus so no one is stuck for getting there or back. We may have to charge for it, but they were all talking about arranging their own minibus anyway! We'd only charge about a fiver ahead just to help with the cost of it, considerably less than they'd pay on a taxi!

I've forked out up to £15 for buses put on to people's weddings. Go for what you love!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics