Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner May 2013

Very frustrating wedding planning meeting!

jen_jj, 22 March, 2013 at 21:24 Posted on Planning 0 8

I went to our wedding venue today with my OH's parents for our planning meeting to discuss details etc. We had a huge Word document to fill out with information about the day so the meeting can go ahead with details re times / food / drinks / evening reception / details / supplier details. My OH couldn't come as he was in work. We could have done a telephone meeting but we decided I'd go with his parents. The meeting was quite shocking.

The planning lady we met was (to put it in the words of my future mum-in-law) "a bit bossy". Details that we'd discussed on our initial visits to the venue to look at it and also on booking the venue seemed to have suddenly changed re several things:

1) Drinks reception. We were planning on offered 2 glasses of Pimms / 2 glasses of orange juice for guests. The planner today said that she likes to add bottled water as an option for the drinks reception in the gardens.... WHY!??!?! Then she also suggested a Peroni option for the men who didn't fancy Pimms. Quite a good idea as we'd thought of this. This would mean Peroni / Pimms / orange juice. WHY ADD BOTTLED WATERD?!?!?! 3 options are more than enough aren't they?

2) Location of the bar. She told us the bar would be in the main room with the disco / tables / reception rather than in the bar room next door. We had been told we could have a larger bar in the third ajoining room. There are 3 rooms - why cram everything into one???? We also asked if bar could be open before wedding breakfast so people could buy different drinks if they didn't fancy wine. Got told this afternoon that a minimum £100 spend required to do this & that it "would be virtually impossible to spend this". We have 74 guests - quite easy to spend £100 isn't it?? She also wanted us to put jugs of Peroni on the side for guests to have if they didn't want wine. We'd have to pick up this tab even though we're giving people 1/2 bottle of wine each with dinner.

3) Chocolate fountain. The location has been moved to the bar room. Nothing else would be in there apart from this. It's quite a small room really so a big choc fountain and guests will be cramped! She also went on about how all the weddings with choc fountains meant curtains in the venue would get covered and need cleaning. They ask for a £300 cleaning deposit - which we are happy about. But she was insistent our guests would get chocolate smeared (her actual words) all over the place. Our guests are not animals and we have 2 children (well they are 15 years old and mature) only attending.

4) Top table. We decided on a traditional long table. She said that 99% of weddings there have a round top table as it's more fun. We want a long top table. Not a round one. I said I would talk the option over with OH but she kept going on and on about the stupid round table! I respect people if they want a round table and it's a personal choice (no offence to ladies on here who are doing round top table) but we really would prefer tradition.

Come home tonight to tell OH the details after he's had a really tough day at work. He's now in a right stinking mood saying how he should have come along and that it's our wedding and that everything is changed! So I'm going to have to email this woman Monday to get these things straightened out! What should have been a great meeting to go over details has now turned into chaos!

How can I put it delicately to the woman in an email Monday morning? Should I just come out with how disapointed I was coming away from the meeting? Should me and OH organise a telephone meeting or just deal through emails??

Sorry for the whinging ladies but need to get this off my chest!

8 replies

Latest activity by clarehj, 23 March, 2013 at 12:37
  • MrsSkinner2be
    Beginner May 2014
    MrsSkinner2be ·
    • Hide content

You are right to be annoyed and to be honest I don't think you need to put it delicately - you need to tell that woman it's your wedding and your money and if they don't want to do it your way then you'll take your money and custom elsewhere - if you start being delicate she may make you come round to her ideas when that's not what you really want

• J
    Beginner May 2013
    jen_jj ·
    • Hide content

I don't think we are fussy really. We chose there because of the 3 areas. Just thought these wedding co-ordinators were meant to be happy to do as you want and not TELL you what is happening!

• MrsSkinner2be
    Beginner May 2014
    MrsSkinner2be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is exactly what they are meant to do and yours doesn't sound good. You have things you'd like for your wedding which are simple requests and you definitely need to tell her what is happening rather than the other way round. It's such a shame as I've met some fab planners at venues where I loved the planner but not the venue!

• M
    Beginner April 2011
    mrsrh* ·
    • Hide content

I think it's wise to email her so that you have things in writing/a paper trail (so that things can't be later claimed to have been said/not said over the telephone).

Just keep it clean, calm & simple. Along the lines of Hello/Dear 'X', with regard to the meeting held on x date, we'd like to confirm the following points & have confirmation from your end. Then going on to explain things that you'd agreed to & any things you wish to confirm or add, or even change. Be pleasant & friendly. If issues continue to bother you, it could be worth speaking to a more senior member of staff, but only if you feel she is making things awkward for you and basically not wanting to take into account your requests, etc. There's no point in making a huge amount of money for a service that you aren't happy with.

As for the points you've mentioned:-

The pimm's & oj i think pimm's & oj is perfectly adequate, but if you are happy to add the peroni (and it's within budget), then go for it. As for the water, can it be a jug or 2 of ice tap water? I'd be thinking she's trying to make money from you (the more options available, the more it costs!, especially with bottled water!!)

The bar - is there room to adequately locate it in the room with the disco/reception/tables? In some ways it'll save guests disappearing off into another room, but then some guests may prefer to have an escape from the main room? Think you need to weigh that one up & decide whether it's really worth stressing/being firm over. Only you know the layout & how you want the venue to be set up. As for the wine/peroni at the table during the wedding breakfast - i'd only serve the wine as planned. I don't think your guests will be rushing to spend £100+ at the bar between the ceremony & meal, as you'll be serving the pimms, oj & peroni, then wine with the meal (usually jugs of iced water will be on the tables too - well, they have at our wedding plus all the weddings we've been to in the last 3 years - been to 6). I'm assuming that the bar would then be open during the meal? Guests will be more than able to go up & get drinks if they require them.

Chocolate fountain, if the room would be cramped, can it not go in the main room? (& also would the room not be too cramped for the bar if a chocolate fountain would make the room too small? - not all guests would use the chocolate fountain at the same time, some won't use it at all). I've also never heard of a cleaning charge/deposit for having a chocolate fountain & i'd be wary of paying it. I don't blame the venue, but i'd be concerned that they could try & keep the money by telling us that there were chocolate marks made (when not so, or made by another party).

If you want the traditional long top table, then just tell her straight. It's a different situation if they don't have any suitable tables, but i'm assuming they have as she would've told you if they didn't!

• Guy Wade
    Guy Wade ·
    • Hide content

The wedding planner works for you, but may have good advice. If you want want "thing A" and you end up with "thing B" it should be because either she convinced you of the merits of "thing B" or convinced of the problems with "thing A".

If you leave the meeting having agreed to something you didn't want - and you're not sure why you agreed - she hasn't done her job properly.

And as was mentioned: make notes and then send a summary to her each meeting.

Guy

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

We had a similar situation with a venue we nearly booked when we went back to confirm details everything changed from what was originally agreed. so we pulled out in the end.....

I have made some notes on your points below. (I worked in the hospitality industry for a few years so have a fair bit of experience with wedding)

Hope you get it sorted !

• goldpants
    Beginner May 2014
    goldpants ·
    • Hide content

Are you already paying a damage deposit? That would cover chocolate mess surely? x

• *tinkerbell*
    Beginner March 2013
    *tinkerbell* ·
    • Hide content

Surely your wedding insurance would cover any chocolate stains if this were to happen. Our venue is very old and all they asked for us incase of wine spillages or food marks was to make sure we provided a copy of our insurance details. Our insurance cost 79 much cheaper than paying out 300 just incase it were to happen.

she sounds likes shes trying to up your costs by making it seem like you need things you dont. Its your wedding have it your way and dont let her change your mind they are paid to give you what you want ( within reason obviously) .

without being coming across rude just contact and reminder her who is in charge . Your money Your wedding Your way

?

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

Great advice from Funky and MrsRHtobe.

I think jugs of iced tap water is a good idea too.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics