Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner October 2015

Very new step mother - etiquette

Katybride, 15 of July of 2015 at 13:48 Posted on Planning 0 4

I’m getting married in October and am concerned about a few things in light of my parents being divorced. They split over 20 years ago and have always been amicable, coming to graduations etc. together despite there being lots of underlying hurt on my mum’s side. But all that was always easy enough because neither remarried so it was always just the four of us. However, my Dad got married very recently (six weeks ago!) and so now I’m trying to deal with integrating SM into the day (she and my Mum haven't met yet). Everything I read about etiquette gives different opinions but it all seems to be geared towards step parents who have been together during the bride/groom’s childhood whereas I have still only met my Dad’s wife a handful of times so I don’t feel the need to honour her contribution to my life or anything and I'm sure she would agree. My fiancée’s parents are still happily married and my Mum is single. She will do everything to make the day as easy as possible for me but I know the whole thing is going to be horribly awkward for her with her ex there married to another woman while she is on her own. It will be the first time in all these years that either of them has seen the other with a new partner so is bound to be odd and to be honest the whole thing is in danger of casting a shadow for me over the excitement.

We want to do everything quite traditionally i.e. have the four parents at the top table and switch up the two couples – this was the case at my sister’s wedding but my parents were both still single then so there were no step parents to think about, and the whole switching up the couples thing actually really suits situations where there is a divorce involved. I think we will sit Dad’s new wife at another table with some people that she knows. I feel that it would be odd and inappropriate to have her at the top table as she still wouldn’t sit with my Dad as we’re mixing up the parents and it would leave things all unbalanced, with her kind of plonked on the end of all the birth parents. None of the other parents are sitting as a couple so on one hand why should she and my Dad be different? But would it be seen as rude not to have her at the top table at all? She’s a nice person and I don’t want to make her think I’m making a statement about how I feel about her by doing that so maybe I’ll just check with her first that she’s happy with that arrangement. I mentioned it in passing to my Dad and he didn’t sound over the moon but I don’t think he had thought about it previously so was possibly just processing it all as the situation hadn’t occurred to him. Another option would be a non-traditional top table but my partner's parents will want to have their proper role and I don’t think they should miss out on anything because of my family situation - they are lovely and so supportive of us that I would hate to take away any status from them on the day, same for my Mum (although she would possibly like to avoid the top tale situation too as she is shy!) Changing plans might also just make it obvious that we've gone non-traditional due to the divorce which just draws extra attention to it and I think Mum might just find that humiliating.

The other issue is seating during the ceremony. My Dad will walk me down the aisle then sit down. We have been asked to prepare cards to reserve the first couple of rows for family, so should I save a seat for SM maybe in the second row and Dad can have the seat on the end next to her? The rows are narrow so close family will be spread over a few rows, so it wouldn't be odd for him not to be right at the front. I don’t want to make my mum uncomfortable by having her right there behind her, inches away, but the only other option is to make sure SM knows to sit behind the reserved seating, effectively giving her no status as any part of the family. (None of the parents are entering formally apart from Dad walking me in so there isn't anything to worry about in terms of order of entrance etc.)

I'm trying to keep it in perspective but it is starting to weigh on my mind so I would love any helpful advice anyone can offer! I just need some specific advice about how best to deal with a step parent who has only very recently come along and not someone who has had any part in my upbringing. Thanks!

4 replies

Latest activity by Aspenlady, 17 of July of 2015 at 00:29
  • YellowDiamond
    Beginner July 2016
    YellowDiamond ·
    • Hide content

Hi Katybride!

first of all, you sound like you are being extremely thoughtful and lovely to everyone! We have a not too dissimilar situation (OH parents are. Divorced and it is not friendly!) I think we have more chance of the spice girls reforming and conducting the ceremony than we do of them sitting anywhere near each other!!

a big part of me feels that you should say "it's our day we want x, y and z" and go for it, but know that it isn't easy when you know people will feel uncomfortable!

have you or could you talk to your mum quite openly? You sound like you've considered all sorts of options so perhaps during a wedding chat over a glass of wine you could bring it up and ask for her honest thoughts? You'll need to be prepared for whatever she might say and if it's not the easiest option for you to accommodate her preference you at least know what her thoughts are and can try to find a compromise.

Weve be opted for a non traditional top table, I've not told my parents yet and I know it'll go down like a lead balloon as they'll want to sit with us, but we have decided that we won't actually be a top table, we will have a round table like everyone else in the centre of all the others, with our friends, we are then putting parents and close family (siblings etc!) on the nearest tables so we can talk to them easily.

regarding the ceremony, this is where talking to your mum will really help I think - she may not worry about the new wife being sat near her and you've been worrying unnecessarily!

Remember though ugh that the fact you are thinking this way proves how lovely you are and I bet when you talk to them all, all three will want you to have a fantastic day - yep it'll be a bit weird for them at times but they've managed with graduations etc so you know they can be civil and they demonstrate that you come first! Xxx

• DreamsComeTrue2015
    Beginner July 2017
    DreamsComeTrue2015 ·
    • Hide content

You sound like you've put a lot of thought into how you want it to go and the one thing that really comes across is that you don't want anyone's feelings to be hurt. Which is a lovely way to be thinking of it this.

I think your dad and his new wife should sit together at the ceremony if I'm honest - it's kind of weird making her sit away from him. Maybe they could sit at the end of the row - away from your mum? The best man can maybe help make sure on the day she gets to the right seat? I think sitting her away from the family might make her feel awkward and it might upset your dad. Your idea at dinner sounds perfect.

The only other advice is can you arrange an informal meeting of mum and new wife at some point? Maybe something wedding related with other people (take the whole bridal party for afternoon tea at the venue maybe?) It might help make things easier on both your mum and your dads wife if they've already met.

Try not to stress about it too much. It's one thing you have no control over - they will ultimately feel and behave however they like. You're doing the best you can to accommodate everyone so now it's over to them to behave like adults and enjoy being a part of their daughters big day.

• M
    Beginner May 2016
    mkw ·
    • Hide content

You've obviously thought a lot about this and you're being a very considerate daughter, which I imagine all three of them would appreciate.

I think as long as your stepmother knows other people it's okay to sit her away from your dad during the meal. We are in a similar situation with OH's parents, and his stepmother just said completely out of the blue that she doesn't mind sitting away from his dad, so we're putting her with OH's stepsiblings. It's only for a couple of hours and your stepmum will have other people to chat to. It's also possible that she would prefer not to be on the top table, as she may be worried that people will wonder who she is or something - it puts her on display, which she may not be overly comfortable with.

I think during the ceremony though that she should certainly be given a seat with the family, but I don't know that it needs to be with your dad. Could she sit with your sister or someone like that? As your dad is giving you away he will need to have a seat somewhere convenient, which probably does mean up front somewhere near your mum. Again, at my OH's stepbrother's wedding, his stepmum sat up the front with her ex husband and OH's dad sat a couple of rows back with other family (although slightly different as his stepmum and ex get on well and both have new partners).

Someone above has suggested seeing if your mum and stepmum could be introduced to each other before the wedding, and this sounds like a really good idea. Apart from anything else, if your mum is nervous about the meeting it will likely be in her mind in the run up to the wedding and might affect her enjoyment of it. Your stepmother being there on the day becomes less of a big thing if she has met her already.

Good luck!

• AKWedding
    Beginner August 2015
    AKWedding ·
    • Hide content

Hello!

My parents are not divorced but for what its worth, I could give an outsiders perspective.

Re ceremony, I think sitting your stepmum next to your dad in the reserved seats would work, not the same row as your Mum though. The ceremony is short and people will be focussed on the bride and groom at the front of the room. Hopefully your stepmum and dad will appreciate this gesture and see that your stepmum has been included in the family.

Re top table, I would be Iinclined to go with your original plan of birth parents mixed up, with your stepmum sitting with people she knows on a table close to the top table. Will your sister or any other immediate family be sitting on the top table? It could be argued that your stepmum is the same rank/status as siblings.

I think it would be good to talk to your mum, dad and stepmum individually to see how they really feel, and stating your original plan with reasons for it (pretty much what you have written in your post). Hopefully they ll see how much you have thought of people, but also see it from your point of view and want you and your OH to be happy on your wedding day.

Good luck, I hope it all works out!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics