Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

stoice
Beginner September 2013

Very short hair

stoice, 6 February, 2012 at 16:51 Posted on Planning 0 11

My (only) bridesmaid had chemo last year so her hair is only about an inch long. She's got it in a lovely elfin crop that really suits her but I know she really wishes she had her longer hair back. When we've been looking at bridesmaid dresses online, her comment is always 'see, the model has long hair, that dress wouldn't suit my short hair'. Do you think bridesmaid dresses are haircut specific? Has anyone else had bridesmaids with very short hair, and did they decorate their hair at all? I'd like her to feel as special as I do on the day, not uncomfortable, so would also like to treat her to hair and makeup when i get mine done, would a hair clip or band look ok or do you think she'd feel more self conscious?

11 replies

Latest activity by Lindy79, 7 February, 2012 at 08:56
  • cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

I'm a bride with very short hair, Its 1.5inches long. As long as she has her hair cut really feathery and girly she will be fine - some hairdresser cant cut short hair on women and always cut it very manly with lots of sharp edges.

I think she is right in away as there is a wedding bias towards long princessy hair but if she can find a hair style she feels confident in then she can easily pull off any look. I think side tiara's really suit short hair.

Maybe you need to go look at dresses rather than on the internet that way she wont see the pictures of longhaired women in them?

• DarkMoomin
    Beginner June 2012
    DarkMoomin ·
    • Hide content

I think short hair can be stunning, and certainly not specific styles for short haired people! but if she is not feeling confident about herself thenI doubt there will be any dress online that she will think she will feel good in.

I would see if you can go out and go shopping, gt her to choose things, maybe not worrying about colour, just to get an idea of style etc.

Also, short hair looks fabulous with headpieces,. from jewelled combs and headbands to fascinators etc. First get her feeling good in a dress then you can work on the headwear if she wants any.

• born2fly
    Dedicated January 2012
    born2fly ·
    • Hide content

Bless her soul! i def dont think that dresses are hair style specific! There are a few pics of some accessories, maybe remind her how many celebs have short hair like Kylie and danni! katie holmes, sarah harding! also why not take her to try a few on.... its like wedding dresses you feel much better one they are on! x

• L
    Beginner June 2012
    Littlelaura82 ·
    • Hide content

One of my BM has v short hair. I have brought them sparkly hair bands from accessorize and they looks just as good on her as they do my BM with v long hair. The dress we chose is below the knee strapless and if I'm honest actually looks better with hair off the shoulders. Hope this helps x

• born2fly
    Dedicated January 2012
    born2fly ·
    • Hide content

Blummin pics didnt work sorry x

• Katie V
    Katie V ·
    • Hide content

I think a lot of wedding pics focus on long locks; it's obviously a sensitive point for her. If she'd chosen this hair cut herself it wouldn't be an issue. I suppose you should say to her.....forget the dress for now, what do you want with your hair? A false pony tail? A hair bow? A hair band? A fascinator?

Then once you have that you can find a dress to suit and work backwards. Alternatively you could get loads of pictures of people with short hair & accessories in them; show them to her & show how beautiful they look....just to boost her confidence a bit? My friend is going through chemo at the moment and has lost her hair too; it's really upset her so I can totally sympathise with your friend.

Good luck & I hope you get it sorted.

xx

• jen_84
    Beginner August 2012
    jen_84 ·
    • Hide content

How about showing her some pics of people like Emma Watson? In this image she has something sparkly in her hair and is wearing a dress (although not a BM style dress) so she can see that it can still look pretty and feminine.

• KEBO Jewellery
    KEBO Jewellery ·
    • Hide content

I agree with what has already been said...bridal mags have lots and lots of imagines with brides/bridesmaids with long glossy locks so find some photos of celebs with short hair and show her it doesn't matter if she has long or short hair, she is still gorgeous and can wear whatever she wants. The great thing about short hair is certain dresses can look amazing if you do have shorter hair, for example halter necks or dresses with lots of detail on the straps. If she goes for a plain dress, she can wear some lovely dangly earrings.

• starstruck-
    starstruck- ·
    • Hide content

I agree with the ideas about showing her photos of other gorgeous ladies with short crops! My crop was inspired by Alyssa Milano (from Charmed) and she is one STUNNING lady!

For photos of accessories in short hair:

If I can help at all, please do get in touch!

www.starstruck-designs.co.uk

? Kerri

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

I think the best way would be to show her lots of photos of people with elfin cuts to show how great this look can be. I also think that too much emphasis is put on long, flowing locks in wedding magazines but then it's the same with most magazines isn't it. Our daughter has very cropped hair and tried several different hair accessories on for her wedding but most flattened her hair and spoilt the style so she decided against wearing anything and went for dangly earrings instead. Her dress had straps too which were quite sparkly.

I think a style with halter neck or with straps suits short hair better than strapless as someone else said and clever use of jewellry too. I think it's what she feels 'herself' in on the day is the most important.

• stoice
    Beginner September 2013
    stoice ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone.

My wedding isn't until Sept next year so neither of us want to try on dresses just yet (Got to save up for one, plus I wanna loose a load of weight) which is why we were checking out dresses online. Dessy ones actually. We both agree she'd prefer a long dress and she'd need straps too since her op. She's in Australia on a holiday of a lifetime at the mo but I think I'll make up a bridesmaid mood board and probably use the pictures you guys have posted here as it shows how fab she'll look.

• L
    Lindy79 ·
    • Hide content

I also think that too much emphasis is put on long, flowing locks in wedding magazines but then it's the same with most magazines isn't it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics