Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Very TMI post - condoms

16 of September of 2014 at 10:05 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 9

I've decided to stop taking the pill in the next few weeks as I am trying to limit the amount of medications I take that I don't *need* to take. I started a new pill a month ago and my boobs have swollen up again and I feel nauseous more than usual. I know the side effects might wear off but to be blunt, because of various things H and I only DTD very infrequently so I just don't see the need for it any more. I started taking the pill for my cystic acne but that has not been an issue for a few years now.

Problem is all other avenues for birth control that involve me doing something are out. I cannot take progestrone-only (e.g. implant) options or the coil as they are known to aggravate the condition I have.

I like the idea of natural family planning but since I am ill it probably wouldn't work, and I don't think I used to have very regular periods.

So we're left with condoms. However, neither of us have had much experience of using them. We have tried in the past but had sizing issues! Also I'm sensitive to spermicide and sometimes sensitive to lubricant (but fortunately not allergic to latex, as far as I know).

So for those that use them, do you have any advice? Is it easy to get ones without spermicide? How much do they cost? And can you get different sizes in terms of width (sorry to be so cringey but that is the issue here!)?

9 replies

Latest activity by Jinnykey, 25 of December of 2023 at 05:19
  • InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I always used to get them free from a family planning clinic. My doctors surgery always has baskets of them out on the reception desk to just take some. But then I go to a city centre surgery in an area with a lot of gay male residents - I can't imagine little village surgeries doing that! They do make them in different sizes and definitely without spermicide. Just go to a big Boots store and browse - it's not a big deal these days.

I must say I always hated condoms. I had a lot of problems with the pill after I tried to go back on it after having all the surgery on my leg and condoms were my only option for a while. Even after I became infertile I obviously still relied on them cos I wasn't in a monogamous relationship at the time. But I still think it's better than putting a load of unnecessary hormones into your body.

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

Another option if milling over condoms in a busy store leaves you a bit po-faced, try looking on lovehoney. They should have all the info on each type regarding size/allergens etc.

I guess you will just have to buy a couple different sizes just to see which is the best.

• laurafish
    Beginner July 2016
    laurafish ·
    • Hide content

You have probably already thought about this but have you looked into both coils - I think from memory there is one that has no hormones in it, a copper one - could that be an option?

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

Your local family planning clinic can probably give you some for free and yes they do different sizes and without spermicide.

Alternatively you can go to Boots or whatever and get some Durex ones which are about £11 for 12-14. I would advise against the 'extra safe' ones as these are extra lubricated and ironically considering the name they are (we have found) easily split and it sounds like you may have similar issues to me ? I don't really like using them but have to at the moment as tried the implant and didn't like it and not on the pill at the moment.

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sorry to hijack with no useful info at all but ...

... I was with The Docs for years until recently when I moved to the suburbs; Sally, the nice nurse with the short grey hair is so lovely, she always remembered everything I'd talked to her about each time I saw her!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Ha! It was a (yep, gay male) friend of mine who recommended it to me when I first moved into the city centre, and I really like it. The diabetes nurse has really looked after my H2B since he got diagnosed.

• C
    Beginner
    casgup ·
    • Hide content

Yes you can get sensitive condoms and conforms in different widths. I work with young people so am used to dishing out condoms!

Have a a look at this http://www.condom-sizes.org/condom-sizes/durex-condom-sizes

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

They will be able to give you great advice about them at Fmaily Planning and freebies! Everyone loves a freebee.

After that I find them cheaper to get online than in boots etc. xxx

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

When I go for smears, my local FP/GUM clinic practically do not let you leave unless you have a huge bag of condoms. This is despite telling them you are in a serious relationship with one man who's had the snip!

The have a sort of pick n' mix of boxes of them - so lots of different types, hopefully one that would be suitable for you. I never used the ones they gave me and ended up giving them to my boss at the time (for a hen party). My friend used them though and didn't like them so went back to paying for Durex.

I find that the FP clinics are much better than local doctors for these sort of thing. Especially my local doctor who told me I didn't need to go on the pill, and when I finally got a prescription for it (weirdly when I told them I wanted to delay my period for holiday!!) the pharmacy woman said "These work, they will help your heavy periods" Erm right.....

The FP clinics are usually really nice, and knowledgable.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics