Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

I love shoes
Beginner July 2008

Victoria Jackson makeup? Has my mum been conned?

I love shoes, 10 of June of 2009 at 10:13 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 10

My mum has just sent me an email saying had I heard of Victoria Jackson, with a couple of links - I said no, should I have?

Apparently someone was door step selling this stuff last night and my mum fell for it, not sure how much she paid or how much she bought but mum 'thought it would make nice presents', considering she doesnt wear makeup ever its slightly worrying

http://vjcosmetics.com/
http://www.handbag.com/social/forums-beauty-hair-treatments-reviews_beauty-products-treatments_anyone-heard-of-victoria-jackson-makeup

The comments on the handbag forum make me think she has been conned but am not sure - never having heard of it (though I have heard of lola makeup)

10 replies

Latest activity by Total Chunk, 17 of October of 2009 at 00:09
  • Meep
    Beginner
    Meep ·
    • Hide content

I've seen them with stands in malls and oddly WH Smith. The spiel they give is that she is some huge Hollywood makeup person, I hadn't heard of her when they tried to sell it to me and I haven't heard of her since, The stuff seemed okay though, I remember they had a nice travel wrap....

• Mal
    Expert January 2018
    Mal ·
    • Hide content

My Mum bought it for me, I am using the blush and one of the lip glosses but nothing else. The 'one shade for everyone' foundation made me look like a black & white minstrel ?

I am forever telling my Mum not to believe everything she is told, it keeps getting her into trouble. I couldn't tell her though that it was rubbish as she gave it to me for Christmas.

• H
    Beginner
    Headless Lois ·
    • Hide content

If your mum saw products and bought those products, then I can't see it's a con. They may have bigged up the brand, but apart from that if she received products for money then fair enough.
    If she's paid and they are bringing the stuff later, I would have a concern

L
    xx

• Campergirl
    Beginner September 2007
    Campergirl ·
    • Hide content

I got the "emergency kit" (I think it's called) for Christmas. It's the whole lot, plus a couple of brushes which is in its own small box which will fit in your bag. Haven't used it yet though. There was also a small booklet about how to put your make up on.....

• I love shoes
    Beginner July 2008
    I love shoes ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all for the views..

Ive managed to get a bit more out of her, she still hasnt said how many sets she bought or how much she paid (and it is up to her, its her money afterall) but it is the survival set and its at least a couple of sets

She gave them her credit card details (and I have told her to keep an eye on the statements)

She is not sure who she is going to give them to - I dont wear make up (well occasionally I wear a bit of powder and eye shadow but thats it), my SIL only wears specific brands as she is allergic to some

I despair of her sometimes I really do - she loves bargains, even if it will never get used, if it has money off she will probably buy it - which is why my dad does most of the food shopping

• QueenBee
    Beginner November 2008
    QueenBee ·
    • Hide content

I bought it last year when they came into work selling it. i love the lipglosses and the dark eye palatte is gorgeous.

the blusher pallatte was a bit wishy washy but maybe i just didnt chose a good one.

its cheap as chips, in beautiful packaging like bobby brown and when i was in the states in november, i saw a lot of it. its prob their equivelent to our rimmel or something.

it looks lovely to give as gifts, i'd buy more if they came back

• M
    maizipoppins ·
    • Hide content

There are many stalls set up by CSK Marketing in Various shopping centres and WH Smith stores across Glasgow, Falkirk, East Kilbride, Livingston, Aberdeen and Edinburgh selling gift bags of Victoria Jackson brand make-up. Do not buy as it is a scam! The sales reps are trained to lie to you and trick you into buying the products.

They tell you that Victoria Jackson is the make-up artist for TV shows such as Sex & the City and Desperate Housewives. She isn't.

You can check the Sex & the City make-up artist credits here;

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1000774/fullcredits

And Desperate Housewives here;

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0410975/combined

They also say she will soon be launching a line of cosmetics in the UK within stores such as Debenhams. She isn't. There are absolutely no plans for this to happen. It is not a pre-launch promotion.

The make-up itself really has very little to do with Victoria Jackson. CSK Marketing design and make all the products themselves and pay her a fee to use her name on the box. So what does a marketing company know about making high quality cosmetics? Nothing, which is why they are very poor products.

They also tell you that each product currently retails for some ridiculous price and that the full set is worth £250. Where? The products they sell aren't even available to buy anywhere else. Victoria Jackson does have an online shop in the USA with different products which she endorses and are much more reasonably priced.

You can check it out here;

http://www.vmakeup.com

They tell you that the special offer they have today (and every other day for the last 2 years!) is that when you buy one item for £29.99 they will throw in the full £250 set for nothing. CSK Marketing currently sell 7000 sets per week in the UK so the manufacturing cost of each set is less than £5! Not so much of a bargain now!

I know all this as I have recently worked for them and was disgusted to be told by the management team that these lies have been designed to increase sales!

DON'T BE FOOLED BY THESE SCAMMERS!

• Moose in the Garage
    Beginner May 2005
    Moose in the Garage ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That sounds a tad hysterical tbh! While all the above may be true (and of course I have absolutely no reason to doubt it) regarding the VJ name, endorsements, plans to launch etc, the products themselves are quite nice - a man came to the shop where I was working and sold some sets to a couple of us, he let us look at the stuff, try it out etc and the prices were, I thought, quite reasonable - I bought a couple of sets for one of my daughters and got a set of make up brushes "free". I can't remember exactly how much they were but I am sure I didn't spend more than £25 in total. She still uses quite a lot of the make up (what's left of it!) and thinks the brush set is really good.

Their marketing tactics may be highly suspect, not to say downright dishonest, but as far as your mum (can't see the OP, I think you said your mum) goes I think if she has paid similar price to me she has probably got value for money, even if not the "celebrity" products she may have thought they were. I paid cash so not sure about the wisdom of giving credit card details of course.

• Rache
    Beginner January 2004
    Rache ·
    • Hide content

Some interesting comments here http://beaut.ie/blog/?p=6071

the last I came across them was somone who had a stall in our local Woolies. weird.

• Total Chunk
    Total Chunk ·
    • Hide content

I don't think Moose in the Garage is being hysterical at all. This kind of thing IS a con. In shops they can't claim a product is 'on sale' if it hasn't been full price at some of their outlets for at least 30 days. I sincerely doubt anybody would buy this stuff for £250 and if I was offered it for £25, I'd assume it was stolen off the back of a lorry

I went for a job interview a couple of months ago for a company selling this stuff in Nottingham and I walked out extremely unimpressed. The sales people at that particular company were on a commission only scheme from what i could tell which means they'll tell you anything to make the sale. I don't think your mum was scammed as such if she is happy with the product but I would definitely advise her to steer well clear of anyone selling stuff door to door. I've met a few people who do door to door sales before and they've said that they prefer people to be blunt or even rude within 5 seconds as it doesn't waste their time going through a sales spiel when you were never interested in the first place.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics