Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

mytinyvintagewedding
Beginner July 2012

Victoria Sponge

mytinyvintagewedding, 26 August, 2011 at 12:04 Posted on Planning 0 11

Has anyone had any experience in using a Victoria Sponge for a wedding cake? The cake shops I have been to so far have been resistant and have tried to push their iced cakes. Surely there is a way of serving an uncovered sponge without it going stale. I've seen it used in wedding magazines so it cant be impossible!

11 replies

Latest activity by mytinyvintagewedding, 30 August, 2011 at 19:52
  • saspip
    Beginner May 2012
    saspip ·
    • Hide content

I recently did a 3 tier Victoria sponge for a friend but she wanted it iced so that it looked like a traditional cake. I've never made an uniced one for a wedding. I expect the cake shops are trying to persuade you to go for iced because it's easier for them; they can make it further in advance and avoid staleness by covering it in icing. If you find someone who can make it the day before and dliever it on the morning of your wedding and leave it covered until literally just before you arrive at your reception it should be fine. Do you want it to be tiered or just one cake? I'm not sure plain Victoria sponges would work stacked which might be why they're suggesting icing it.

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

Naboo on here did one for her sister recently and it looked ace!! had cream and strawbs in it, shel be able to tell you how well it went down!!

• JennyH10
    Beginner May 2013
    JennyH10 ·
    • Hide content

The problem with an uniced victoria sponge cake is shelf life. They really don't last more than 2 days in an airtight container and if you have it out on display all day at your reception it will definitely dry out. By all means you could get one made the day before and only put it out when you're ready to cut it though. Where do you live? I am a pastry chef just setting up my own patisserie and I bake cakes to order but I don't do all the sugar paste icing/decorations much if I can help it ?

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content

I think it's called Naked Cake when you don't have it iced and it's definitely possible - there's a great selection of pics on this blog and they are beautiful:

http://apartytoperfection.blogspot.com/2011/06/naked-wedding-cakes.html

I do hope you can find someone to help you out, I love victoria sponge Smiley smile

• *willow*
    Beginner
    *willow* ·
    • Hide content

This was ours - rasberry jam sponge no icing! but we dusted icing suger, the cake lady brought it to the venue the day before and they looked after it and we decorated it ourselves. Everyone loved it and though it was really different and there was on one that didn't have some. It wasn't dry at all but i think the cake was madeira sponge - made differently to sponge you would make at home x

• Chidders
    Beginner June 2012
    Chidders ·
    • Hide content

I am afraid I have no idea, but I just wanted to add,

Yum yum Victoria Sponge!

• saspip
    Beginner May 2012
    saspip ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This looks amazing heatehrjade. Obviously I was wrong about it being difficult to stack them if thery're uniced as this looks beautiful.

It's all starting to make me consider a "naked" cake. Only problem is mil2b is doing it and she's VERY proud of her icing skills!

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

I have a friend who makes wedding cakes and she says that you use a different recipe than usual for a wedding sponge- in order to prevent it from going stale. She said you use a Maderia cake recipe, it is essentially plain sponge, but the ingredients are slightly different and so it it moist and lasts longer.

• S
    Beginner May 2013
    sgreen ·
    • Hide content

Can't go wrong with a Victoria Sponge!

Except that it would be my preference to have that very soft egg white coating. (don't know the proper name)

• mytinyvintagewedding
    Beginner July 2012
    mytinyvintagewedding ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for the advice Smiley smile I havent found anyone yet, but there's a wedding fair nearby in September so I'll probably have a chat with a few cakemakers. I love your cake Heatherjade, it looks totally scrummylicious!

• L
    liz28 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

where you getting married?

Smiley winking

• mytinyvintagewedding
    Beginner July 2012
    mytinyvintagewedding ·
    • Hide content

In Cowbridge, South Wales

You voted for . Add a comment 👇