Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner September 2010

Videographer - pros and cons

Mezzy, 12 July, 2010 at 16:07 Posted on Planning 0 14

As if I haven't got enough to think about! ?

Mr Mezzy doesn't want a videographer as he thinks it will make him uncomfortable. Obviously, the groom's comfort on his own wedding day is paramount, but I do keep wondering if we'll be missing out. Mr M is a keen photographer and believes that photos capture moments that feed the memory (his words!). Is he right? I keep flitting between agreeing with him and panicking that we're going to forget key details of the day! Would be interested to hear what you all think.

14 replies

Latest activity by Peter, 22 July, 2010 at 22:47
  • M
    Beginner October 2010
    mrsmiller2b ·
    • Hide content

I'd love a videographer as I am worried about missing/forgetting things, however it is an expense we can't cover. I'm hoping to find a family member/friend who has a video camera who can record the ceremony, speeches, first dance etc x

• M
    Beginner September 2010
    Mezzy ·
    • Hide content

You see, I don't think we can really afford a videographer either! So it should be the end of it really, except I keep worrying about it!

• Josiep00
    Beginner December 2010
    Josiep00 ·
    • Hide content

I'm not so keen on the videographer thing - I would prefer a chum to film little clippits (first dance/speechers). It would be cheaper too!

• N\/ideo
    N\/ideo ·
    • Hide content

You would be missing out. Photographs are fine and recommended, but video records movement, sound and atmosphere which is captured and enhanced during editing.

I understand your fiance's concerns but with a professional and discreet videographer, the Bride, Groom and guests will quickly stop noticing they are really there after the initial novelty of spotting the video camera.

As we usually say to Brides & Grooms, it is the photographer who will be moving you around on the day, suggesting poses, arranging people etc. A good videographer will document each of the day's events from behind/around the photographer and operate quietly and with appropriate discretion. Only if you are opting for specifically styled video shots would we need to include a little 'direction' of our own - and even these can be obtained quickly and naturally.

The idea of 'video cameras in faces' (i.e. any discomfort) should not apply to a good videographer, who understands it is the natural unfolding of the wedding day that is most important and not the creative needs of the camera operator - we of course always achieve creative and memorable shots with discretion through skills and experience ?

Also, the difference between professionally filmed & edited work and getting one of the relatives to do it is always massive.

• lamby
    Beginner August 2010
    lamby ·
    • Hide content

There really are pros and cons to this aren't there! We weren't going to have one cos we're both a little shy and OH would def feel v uncomfortable during speech. However a few months ago we were talking with some friends who married years ago, and they said we should def rethink this as their three children watch their wedding vid ALL the time and we would be missing out if we didn't have it filmed, as they love it but aren't really interested in the pics. We then had a complete turnaround as we love the idea of our future children (hopefully) watching mummy and daddy on their special day! We went for a very basic package though of just having the church service filmed - including us both arriving, etc and the photoshoot after being filmed. So there is still no worry about being followed around feeling self conscious, espec during speeches and first dance but we will hopefully still get some nice memories. It also saved some money having the basic package!

Having a friend do informal filming like someone said is a really good idea though and good compromise x

• Browny
    Beginner June 2011
    Browny ·
    • Hide content

I didnt like the idea of having one, didnt really see the point when you are having photos, but when my friend had her wedding (she had one) she said that they capture aspects of your day that you dont even realise happened - guests reactions to things, what your guests are doing whilst the pics are being taken etc.

BUT I dont have the extra £800-1k to spend on one.

We are (hopefully) having a friend who does a bit of filming on the side for gigs etc to go around with a camera filming the important bits, but mainly concentrating on the guests.

I did have a quick look on some websites and (just my opinion) I found a lot of the sample videos were quite corny and that is not want I want. I guess they can do it to your own specification but still dont think its really my thing. Much rather a laid back unedited (or minimally edited) version.

Just my opinon but at the end of the day, go with what makes you happy.

You can never film your wedding again (!), so it makes sense to have one (you dont have to watch it) if your budget allows.

xxxx

• B
    Bev Downie ·
    • Hide content

We didn't have a professional videographer as I absolutely hate seeing myself on video! We did however have a friend film the ceremony and speeches and I absolutely love watching them back. The photos are great but don't obviously capture the funny stories, vows,readings etc.

I am now a videographer myself having been a wedding photographer for 5+ years. I produce films that I would like to have of my own wedding so simple, clear recordings of the ceremony and speeches, messages from friends etc. I don't do any directed filming and don't follow the photographer around - photo and video are two completely separate entities.

I would recommend you see full DVDs from various videographers as the style varies greatly from cheesefests to full on Hollywood style cinematic productions with special effects.

• N\/ideo
    N\/ideo ·
    • Hide content

We find that in addition to providing professionally recorded Ceremony & Speeches (3 High Definition cameras at various angles, lavalier and shotgun microphones), our montage sequences go down especially well.

The couple chooses their own favourite music, and the less formal parts of the day such as the photocalls add a more relaxed and fun part to the video where natural footage of the guests congregating and enjoying themselves unfolds.

So as long as you have good taste in music ?, a good videographer will take their carefully chosen visuals and your soundtrack to create montage moments with no cheese, much emotion and a high replay value.

• laineywhu
    Beginner July 2010
    laineywhu ·
    • Hide content

Hi I just got married on Saturday and we had the whole day filmed, and I can honestly tell you we didnt even notice him there, he kept himself to himself and I know he would have picked up on things i missed or didnt notice, im really glad we got it filmed, it is alot of money to spend but if you do have it i think it is definately worth it

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

Some friends of ours got married last year, there were 30 people at the ceremony and meal and of of their friends recorded the ceremony on their camcorder then the speaches and parts of the reception. then during the reception they took the guests into a side room to record a personal message (i was a bit tipsy by this point and have refused to watch what i said!)

I thought this was a great idea, cheap/free and you had some of the best bits on film forever. My OH doesnt see the point but i think I'll work on him my nephew has been asking what his role on the day will be, sounds perfect!

• videogal
    videogal ·
    • Hide content

When arranging our wedding I wanted a videographer but H2b was dead set against it. Now I don't particularly like the sound of my own voice as I sound about 12 but as I was getting married I had watched other videos of friends and the day was very emotional so it was a must for me! We watched a few samples (very important to do) and met a couple of videographers and choose one we liked the work best and him as a person. He arrived about 10.30am to film some bridal preparations and stayed with us until just after our first dance. During the ceremony he had his assistant filming at the back then I think at the speeches but to be honest I really didn't notice him lol. I had far too many other things to think about and this is true for most. When we've left a wedding we've had many comments thanking us and saying I didn't even notice you there! Why wasn't the camera rolling at that point lol ?

We've met many couples who are undecided whether to or not. We met a bride last Sunday who like me when I was planning - wants it filming - fiance dead against it just going along with it - in fact didn't even want to meet or talk to us. We explained a little about us as a couple and how we got started in videography, what we did - showed them a variety of our work and hey ho that evening- I get an email from the B2B saying that her fiance loved us and they would like to book us! I have the actual email it was so lovely to receive such lovely comments! Some will say that videography is expensive - yes it can be extremely expensive - what people forget though is the amount of work we do during post production not just the filming on the day. Filming weddings is by far the most difficult things to film as there are no retakes - there is just one opportunity to get it right - so pressure is always on plus weddings can be very unpredictable. If we filmed 8 hours of footage each - each tape being around 30 - 60mins long (always start ceremony with a fresh tape etc) then for every tape recorded on for however long - takes the same time to take off onto the pc before editing can even start. Then that needs to get condensed down into a DVD of no more than 2 hours - less really 13/4 is generally the norm. This is done with careful thought and consideration, the music choices given by the bride and groom the preparation and the client's wishes as well as all those most important bits, audio etc. It has to flow, transitions between scenes need to be smooth, chapters made, there is so much to do that people just aren't aware of this is what is included in the pricing strategy. Prices vary as they do for photographers - location, experience & qualifications all play a part! My hubby filmed lots of friends weddings when we first got together and I can honestly say that the audio from a handycam is nowhere near as good as a professional sound recording systems such as radio mics that most pro videographers use! Audio is just as important as the picture quality. Well I've rambled on enough but speaking as a former bride (married only for 21/2 years) and not as a videographer in my view it was money worth spent - i even have our wedding film on my iphone to watch whenever I want too! We watch our dvd on our wedding anniversary but both have it on our pcs and ipods etc. Something I can't do with my wedding album. At the end of the day you have to decide whether its for you or not. Watch some samples, request DVDs from a variety of videographers - find one that suits your style and requirements - be aware of really cheap, cheap though - as this could have a downside hence why its so cheap in the first place - be sure of what you are getting for your money and that the videographer is fully insured especially with Public Liability insurance and ask about copyright licences too! If the budget couldn't squeeze to a pro - you could look for an amateur videographer turning pro wanting to get experience of videoing weddings for free to build up a portfolio before they start charging a fee for their services! If it all went wrong (a big if) then you have lost nothing but disappointment as you wouldn't have had a video in the first place if it hadn't been for free - that's not put in the greatest context but hopefully you understand where I'm coming from! lol xx

• MagicEdit-Videos
    MagicEdit-Videos ·
    • Hide content

Hi Mezzy, although I obviously would say this, I think anyone choosing not to have a video of there day is really missing out. I honestly think you get that something extra from a movie that you don't get from a still image. Plus with a film you can just stick it on the tele when you've got friends over, and it saves making them look through hundreds of photos!

James Smiley smile

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Devils advocate hat on...the something extra you get with a video that you don't get from a still image is sound. And if you have friends over, what is quicker for them to view.....some photographs that they can view at their own pace or a 2 hour video that is in real time.....that can be boring for those apart from the couple and family.

That all said, I am a photographer who would always recommend having a videographer if the budget allows. It is a different dynamic and alternative memory of your day. Both the stills and video gain importance over the years as loved ones sadly pass away. Your memory of them is captured in stills and motion from your day.....priceless.(Ok there is a price although you know what I mean)?

• MagicEdit-Videos
    MagicEdit-Videos ·
    • Hide content

Yeh I see what you mean- didn't mean to disrespect photography Smiley tongue I still see photos as equally important. But just speaking for me personally I think I would rather sit through a litte film (perhaps just highlights and not the full feature!) than look through loads of photos...

I would definitely atleast get a friend or family member to shoot some of the day if your budget won't stretch Smiley smile

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is something that I suggested to local vids around 25 years ago. To create a "precis" of the day that won't bore those not directly related....Also best edited along to the first dance music...that makes it very personal....

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics