Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner July 2024 East Central London

Videographers are too expensive, shall i ask my guests to capture videos throughout the day?

martin011, 15 of June of 2023 at 16:01 Posted on Planning 1 6

I would love to have a wedding video but videographers are too expensive. One idea I had was to ask a few key people to capture video on their phones throughout the day. My nephew said he can edit them together to create a professional-style wedding video.

I'm worried about not capturing all the elements of the day and the idea of someone having their phone out during the ceremony might be a bit rude? I've been at weddings where people have recorded the ceremony.

Is this a good idea?

6 replies

Latest activity by Jade, 23 of April of 2024 at 02:30
  • S
    Rockstar July 2024 Cumbria
    Shay ·
    • Hide content
    Hi Martin. Is there anything you could cut from your wedding to afford one or do you just not like the price in general? This opinion from me is coming from someone who hates phones (as I’m typing on one right now, 😂) I hate seeing phones out at events, I hate when I go for meals and people aren’t talking cause they’re too interested in their phones. It really annoys me. I used to be that person aswell rather than enjoying the moment. I understand that you are actually asking this from certain people so if it is something you want to go ahead with make sure they are comfortable watching a lot of your wedding through a screen and they don’t get in the photographers way. You could ring and see if anyone from college wanted to capture your day or would your photographer have an apprentice? There is also those options.
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

I see plenty of my couples doing just this, If you dedicate them as the official vid person then they wont be "that" rude person and I do not find that they get in my way, in fact I usually help them with some angles and a heads up on what will happen next and the best place to be. Make sure they have a tripod for the ceremony and speeches.

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Do you really need a video?

We had our wedding livestreamed as we got married during Covid, so not all our guests could attend, but we haven't really looked at the recording since. And neither has any couple I know who got a professional video either!

If you do decide you want one, I'd nominate just one person to do it - you don't want everyone trying to video everything!

• Will and Sarah Photography
    Somerset
    Will and Sarah Photography ·
    • Hide content

You could try asking your photographer if they could take some video as well with no pressure or as others have said you could also nominate one person to video and liaise with the photographer for the best angles/views

• Emma
    Beginner September 2025 Central & Glasgow
    Emma ·
    • Hide content
    Hiya Martin,
    Everyone’s different but for me the videographer is just as important as the photographer as they catch those behind the scenes moments that you can miss during your day as there is so much going on so your view can be very one dimensional of the days events. Plus you get to watch it all over again on an anniversary or just cause and see those people in motion as I’m not much of a pictures around the house person so this suits me 😊 plus the thought of anyone in our families doing that for us scares me, it will be filled with blurry shots like it was filmed in fog 😂
  • J
    Beginner June 2024 Devon
    Jade ·
    • Hide content

I remember at my cousin's wedding, Uncle Bob, bless his heart, became the unofficial videographer with his phone. Surprisingly, his shaky hands ended up capturing some of the most heartfelt moments. Sure, there were a few close-ups of the floor during the ceremony, but it added a touch of authenticity. Maybe you could designate certain times for phone usage, like during the reception or less formal moments. And having your nephew edit everything together sounds like a genius move! Plus, it's all about the love and laughter shared, not just the polished shots. So go ahead, embrace the DIY spirit, and create your own unique wedding video masterpiece.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics