Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

DrBuffles
Beginner August 2014

Vietnam Honeymoon - Any tips

DrBuffles, 25 of April of 2014 at 13:15 Posted on Planning 0 7

We are planning to go to Vietnam for our honeymoon so just wondered if anyone had any advice on what to do/avoid etc as it's all fairly overwhelming looking at brochures and online!

We want a mix of a few luxury nights and some less luxury (not hostels!!) and budget is fairly flexible.

7 replies

Latest activity by DrBuffles, 25 of April of 2014 at 16:14
  • DrBuffles
    Beginner August 2014
    DrBuffles ·
    • Hide content

Thanks, that's so helpful. Yes we wanted to stay in a few places and make our way either up or down the country.

Is Ha Long Bay with all the big rocks in the water? - sorry I know what I mean! Where they messed around in Top Gear if you have seen it?!?

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

I spent 6 weeks travelling round Vietnam ... I wrote out some advice for a friend who went on their honeymoon there - I'll see if I can find it!!

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

Found it!!!

Sapa is beautiful for hanging out and relaxing, not much to do but trek the tiered rice paddie fields (which apparently are amazing, I didn't get the chance, was very il the whole time we were there and panicking as very very far from hospital!) Lots of fearless child beggars from the village, might be worth looking up the kinds of non monetary gifts they might appreciate, although we got in a spot of bother trying to buy ice cream for some kids...

Hanoi is v busy, try the street food! Be fearless, you won't know what your eating! Not an awful lot going on there ... a huge stuffed turtle in the lake!??! I wouldn't recommend going to see water puppetry - 3 hours of your life you will never see again!

Halong bay is absolutely stunning, an absolute must see. Be prepared for karaoke on the boat, take beers, prices on the boat are crazy!! Spend lots of time on deck and try the kayaking too.

Hoi an- I spent a fortune on clothes there, all of which have fallen to pieces, I bought (designed myself) a beautiful pure wool coat though. I can recommend the tailor (Kimmie's) despite the fact that my clothes were rubbish, I do still think they were the best. If they tell you they can make you something in a day or two, you need to allow extra days for alterations, you'll probably need them (ensure alterations are included in the quote), hoi an is beautiful for relaxing in restaurants by the river side, festival of lights is beautiful (happens often I think).

Nha Trang - Beach town, nothing going on, a bit like Blackpool, if I'm honest. Bit dirty.

Saigon - it's all about the museums and night life. War museum is a must and SO interesting to see the other side of the story (although they close for lunch without warning, we only got about an hour in there) Cu chi tunnels were fascinating, frightening though. Women's museum was also v interesting telling stories of women and their roles all over Vietnam through time.

We left Vietnam here to go to Cambodia, but I so wish we'd gone further south, down the Mekong River, there are apparently some beautiful islands/beach towns in the south.

• DrBuffles
    Beginner August 2014
    DrBuffles ·
    • Hide content

SillyWrong - you star! really helpful to have honest pointers from someone who has been.

Ruby - thanks for the recommendation.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics