Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

RoseArcana

Viewing A Venue... What to ask?

RoseArcana, 16 of May of 2014 at 10:55 Posted on Planning 0 9

Morning Hitchers Smiley smile

We're viewing our first venue in a couple of weeks. What sort of things should we ask apart from the obvious?

Thanks x

9 replies

Latest activity by Peter, 17 of May of 2014 at 13:35
  • Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

As you're booking 3 years out a new set of issues present themselves. Wedding insurance can only be purchased 2 years prior to the wedding. So my questions would be around the viability of the business. How long has it been owned/operated by the current owners? If it's a limited company check the trading info at companies house to see if they are in profit.

Are there any major refurbishments or expansions planned?

If you pay a deposit now and the venue goes bust you will not get your deposit back. It's worth asking if you can pay a low deposit and then the rest a year later once you've got the insurance sorted.

• RoseArcana
    RoseArcana ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for replying Paula. We're not going to be paying the deposit til next year but we want to get our budget sorted on that side of things so choosing the venue is high on our priority list. We will be discrete but ask how long they've been running, how many functions they do etc.

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

I'd ask if the price they are quoting now is what you will pay in 2016 and have a contract drawn up confirming this so that they can't make any price increases. You might want to check if you can use your own suppliers rather than the venues preferred suppliers. Some places only allow food and drink purchased from the venue to be consumed on the premises so you could ask if you are allowed to bring in things like a cheese cake / chocolate fountain or edible / alcoholic favours. Check what the corkage charge is. Check what time will you have access to the venue and when will you have to finish.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Photographically, ask what wet weather options are available if you can't go outside.(Of course it will be fine on your day) Once this is in their mindset that you are aware of this, I have known venues make an extra room available, mainly without charge.

Peter

• B
    Bruce Neville Photography ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What Peter said above^^^^^^^^ also https://www.chelseamagazines.com/

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

I drew up an A4-page list of questions to ask our venue. I'd be happy to share it with you, if you like? A lot of the questions probably won't apply to you, but it might give you some ideas.

• RoseArcana
    RoseArcana ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That would be fab, Thank You!

Thanks all. I forgot about photography! X

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ahhhh NEVER forget the photography!!!! ?

Peter

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

For those marrying in a church, the wet weather question is also worth asking the minister.......Again, if asked in advance, they are then in the right mindset.....if asked on the day, I have seen some disgruntled ministers and vergers being "delayed" getting off home.....

Peter

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics