Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

W
Beginner

village hall hire near Glasgow

weejen21, 22 July, 2012 at 20:37 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hi,
We would really appreciate some advice!
We're looking for a really simple wedding, no fuss etc and very informal. We never wanted to have to pick and choose what friends/family we can invite so have decided to make it a free for all for about 200 people Our only problem is budget. If we go to hotels etc, then it's about £40pp, so we've abandoned that idea. We'd like a village hall or a barn close to Glasgow (about 1 hr drive), and we're happy to do lots ourselves. We'd thought about a hog roast or buffet style dinner in an effort to make it cheaper.

Does anyone have any suggestions about any nice town hall/village hall / barn / anything really?

We're going to see Comrie Croft in a week or so, but even this is £6000 to hire which I know includes accommodation for about 70 people, but if we ask guests for money for this it may still only cover half of this, then we have the cost of crockery, heaters, tables, seats, food...yadadada

Look forward to any words of wisdom

5 replies

Latest activity by weejen21, 30 July, 2012 at 20:18
  • B
    Beginner August 2012
    BatsGirl ·
    • Hide content

Try kinlochard village hall in Aberfoyle. A friends wedding was there recently and it was amazing. Views are fantastic catering I believe was the Winnock hotel (I can find out if you're interested) and not stupidly priced.

I know quite a few who have looked at youth hostels and the prices and rules on which catering you are allowed to use have been ridiculous.

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

Sorry I can't help weejen but wanted to bump for you in case anyone else can.

I looked for a similar thing for my wedding but couldn't find anywhere big enough in Glasgow that didn't charge a fortune just for hire. Depending on how much food and drink you are planning to provide I think you might struggle to get costs down to less than £40 pp unless you find a venue that can provide enough chairs, tables, crockery etc included in the cost. I'm not trying to put you off the idea, as I'm sure it is possible with the right venue, just to make sure you budget for everything before making a decision. We couldn't make it work for those numbers but we were restricted to weekends and school holidays so maybe you can get something cheaper if you can do mid-week?

Hopefully someone on here has some ideas! Good luck.

• C
    Beginner
    Complaining ·
    • Hide content

Oops. Logged in in error

• J
    Beginner
    Julz ·
    • Hide content

Have you had a look at Colzium House in Kilsyth? It's not far from Glasgow and is a stunning venue (although I'm biased as I got married there). You hire the hall from NLC and it's around £20 an hour. That includes tables and chairs. You are then free to get in your own caterer. We used a local company who were on the Kirky Miners ep of Don't tell the Bride. We were about £20 a head for a 3 course meal (their steak pie is amazing!), they provided cutlery and crockery and we paid extra (about £5 a table iirc) for lovely tablecloths and napkins.

You can find the details on the North Lanarkshire council website, but also if you Google 'wedding photographer Colzium House' some photographers have photos on their websites which show weddings at Colzium and it really shows off how lovely it is as I think the council's photo of the main hall is taken from the worst angle in the whole house!

We had 60 guests all day and an extra 40 at night and our whole wedding was well below 6k

• B
    Beginner August 2012
    BatsGirl ·
    • Hide content

Just had a mail from my friend - Kinlochard is £400 for hall hire : https://www.kinlochard.org/index.html and food was Winnock hotel but it was a sit down 3 course (though there was a canteen there so you could do a bit in there yourself if you needed)

• W
    Beginner
    weejen21 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all the advise - it does seem quite hard to get married on a budget - will definitely look into those suggestions - aberfoyle sounds great as we love it up there! x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics