Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner March 2017

Village hall reception

RomanticGingerDesire, 26 of October of 2015 at 11:41 Posted on Planning 0 14

Is anyone planning their reception in a village hall
We are trying to keep costs low
Our wedding is next November & want to go for an afternoon tea/vintage theme serving traditional pie & mash
Anyone got any recommendations etc for village hall receptions.
Worried it won't have the wow factor as people are already saying why you doing it in a village hall when you can book a hotel.

14 replies

Latest activity by kizzi10000, 27 of October of 2015 at 09:04
  • kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content

We are! Personally I don't think hotels necessarily have the wow factor anyway, they are all fairly similar in my opinion. With a village hall it's more 'homely' and a blank canvas that you can decorate how you like. Don't listen to other people, it's not their day, and they're not the ones spending a small mortgage on one day! It will be gorgeous wherever you have it, and if people are more concerned with what the venue looks like than witnessing you get married, then they don't need to be there ?

• R
    Beginner March 2017
    RomanticGingerDesire ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Hun

what theme have you gone for?

I I worry that our vintage/afternoon tea.... Bunting, oversized balloons is going to look out of place on a cold November

• Soon2BMrsJ
    Beginner September 2015
    Soon2BMrsJ ·
    • Hide content

Hey,

We had our reception in a village hall and all of our guests said it was brilliant. It allows you to have a much more personal day.

Be aware though that is is not necessarily cheaper as depending on the hall you may have to have a lot of decorations and you may need to hire chairs/tables/plates/cutlery/lights etc. Also make sure you can have access to the hall the day before and after for setting up and clearing up as you don't want to be doing all that on your own. You will need to rope in family and friends to help with this as well.

Our day was perfect and wouldn't change it for the world, definitely the right choice for us having the village hall. It was a lot of hard work though.

Good Luck!

• M
    Beginner April 2017
    MrsJ_ToBe ·
    • Hide content

We toyed with the idea of a village hall for our reception as liked the idea of it being a blank canvas. When it came to costing everything up for decking it out though we weren't actually saving a great deal at all so that's something to be mindful of.

• J
    Beginner November 2015
    jesikab4u ·
    • Hide content

We are. We are getting married in just under four weeks. We cut down on venue but it hasn't really worked out cheaper. Not for us any way. I wanted loads of flowers and went for a kind of rustic boho luxe theme if that makes any sense haha. And diy isn't always cheaper so I would work out the costs before you dive in. This was my mistake.

i would definitely want somewhere you can make it more personal then a hotel where to me most (not all) are cookie cutter.

• R
    Beginner March 2017
    RomanticGingerDesire ·
    • Hide content

My mum is a dress maker so is going to make lots of bunting with left over materials that she has.

our pie & mash careers is coming to £1000 for 75 people

soon2bmrsj

any tips on must haves

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not sure we've really gone for a theme lol. It's 2nd time round for both of us and I'm pretty laid back about the whole thing. A few bunches of flowers here and there, he wants some greenery, some fairy lights around the place. I'd like bunting, but he's not keen, so may make some rag heart shaped wreaths to hang about.

We're having an afternoon ceremony, so tea and cakes when we get there afterwards, with your average buffet in the evening.

I think it would look lovely and cosy indoors if it's cold outside and remind people of sunnier days ?. There will ALWAYS be something to worry about, so just go with what you want and no0one will bat an eyelid, and you'll certainly not see what all the fuss was about afterwards x

• Soon2BMrsJ
    Beginner September 2015
    Soon2BMrsJ ·
    • Hide content

I think the caterers are a great idea. We had a pizza van and a cake table which went down really well with our guests!

It's hard to say must haves as it depends on the hall you end up in. We had festoon lights from the ceiling that really helped make it look more like a venue that we had thought about than a village hall we had just turned up at but then they were very expensive.

I would say make sure you check the toilets at any halls you visit as some aren't that nice and make sure you put some nice soap and maybe some air freshener/potpourri in them. You will also need to consider whether you will need to hire a bar company. This is what we did and i would definitely recommend it, we didn't want the stress of worrying about if we had ordered enough drinks.

If you are doing any food/cake yourself make sure that there is a kitchen type space where you/your helpers can sort it all out as we had a big kitchen and filled it when sorting out the cakes.

Hope that helps. Happy to answer any other questions!

• R
    Beginner March 2017
    RomanticGingerDesire ·
    • Hide content

H

• R
    Beginner March 2017
    RomanticGingerDesire ·
    • Hide content

This is the hall we are thinking of

the festoon lights are great. Might have to look into that.

We we are going to look into hiring a bar & getting people in to do a evening buffet

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Ca village hall fits perfectly with the idea of Great British Bake Off some have done. Ask people to enter a cake and prize for the winner. Means all your desserts are sorted.

• L
    Beginner June 2016
    Lexi_K ·
    • Hide content

We're having our reception in a village hall next year. We're having a hog roast, bouncy castle and garden games. The hall is £260 for the weekend and we're going to decorate it ourselves.

• R
    Beginner March 2017
    RomanticGingerDesire ·
    • Hide content

I'm gutted that we have a November wedding as would love a hog roast

we met in December so seems perfect to marry a month before our fifth anniversary

what is everyone doing/done with the bar?

What type of evening buffet have you gone for?

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content

Our hall comes with a bar for an extra 50 quid. Either that or we give the alcohol away as we can't sell it ourselves.

We were going to go for a hog roast, but I became vegan earlier this year, so have to find something I can eat, and I'd rather not watch a dead pig be chopped up. Fella still wants your usual buffet stuff instead of some gorgeous vegan food I've found from a proper vegan supplier (and not one that will just do something without animal products), but he's not interested ☹️. Thinks our guests need a variety of food. My take is they will be more than happy to eat whatever is offered and probably won't notice they've not eaten animals for one evening, but hey ho, it's his day too. Have now left it up to him to decide what he wants to eat, and I will get a few bits and pieces in from another supplier I've found for me and my veggie sister. We'll have our own picnic ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics