Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

I
Beginner January 1999

Village hall venue?

irrelephant, 31 July, 2009 at 15:12 Posted on Planning 0 12

Considering what trouble i'm having finding a venue we love, i was wondering what you all thought about village halls as wedding venues? our local village hall/ church hall arent great and not the typical idyllic hall you would hope for.

12 replies

Latest activity by Sherrie H, 1 August, 2009 at 08:04
  • PennyFarthing
    Beginner
    PennyFarthing ·
    • Hide content

We have also booked a local-ish barn type village hall just in case our marquee in garden doesn't work out. It's about 10 minutes drive away from the church. If this is what we go with we will be decorating it with huge lanterns - I think with village halls you really need to think about decoration and get lots of ideas to see if you think they would work.

sorry really small picture coming up:-

i think you could still get away with this in a hall too:-

Will look out some more pics. What area are you in DWC? Can I help looking out for halls on google?

• FIONATS73
    Beginner August 2009
    FIONATS73 ·
    • Hide content

Hiya DWC,

My cousin got married in April and her wedding breakfast and evening buffett was there to. It was an old looking village hall tudor style. So had some georgeous features. They decorated it really simply with toppery (sorry on spelling) trees. In there colours and put christmas lights up around the stage. They got outside caterers in for the day and did the evening buffett them selves between my anut and her sisters at night. I think they should have done both outside ones really as it was their day to enjoy to. But if decorated right they can look just as stunning. My whole family live in the sticks so they always use the local village halls and I have been to many a party in them. They always look great.

Hth a little

x

• cotteesgirl
    Beginner September 2009
    cotteesgirl ·
    • Hide content

Hey DWC...im probably the wrong person to reply as im not particularly creative but for what its worth i think a village hall would be fine, as its all about you and yours on the day and you can do wonders with the amount of decorative things which are out there....back in the day everyone used to have their reception in village halls and they always looked lovely x

• chids
    Beginner
    chids ·
    • Hide content

I'm an old married but we had our reception in a church hall. We had a sit down meal for 80 please and then a buffet in the evening for 100 people. We had a wedding singer and hired some greenery to spruce the place up. This is the finished result. We had a fantastic day. I was worried in the lead up to the wedding that our place wasn't special enough and having looked at some of the fab venues that other brides were having felt that mine was a bit crap, but once we'd tidied the room and set it up i was so pleased with the result.

The room hire cost £125

The caterer cost £1200 including all the food that we had (5 course sit down meal & massive buffet)

We supplied our own wine for the meal and the toasts which probably cost about £100 and there was loads, people were still drinking it in the evening

Plant hire probably cost about £100

Other decorations £20

There was a bar which was really cheap and we arranged for welcome drinks vouchers that the guests could exchange rather than having a set welcome drink, dad paid the bar bill and i think for the 80 people it came to about £90 i think.

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

Thanks girls. Penny i would be looking in either lincolnshire or lancashire areas. I'm probably looking for something that just doesnt exist really and i'm probably hoping that my idea of a country house will meet with 1950 village fete kind of thing. We really want somewhere with outside space and we like period features. We've also looked at marquees and barns too, if that gives you any indication of the type of thing i mean?

I don't really know how to put into words what i mean so will try to find some pictures when i get home from work x

• ebee
    Beginner January 2008
    ebee ·
    • Hide content

We had our reception in my school dinner hall!! You can't really tell from the photos but we also had a net of fairy lights behind the top table and candles on all the tables - it looked not bad considering it's where I'd had my lunch every day for six years!! ?

• N
    Beginner December 2009
    Nephelae ·
    • Hide content

Oh my goodness I thought I was the only one dreaming of a lovely fete atmosphere in a village/church hall!! Only problem is my church doesn't have a hall it has a small nursery attached, no way it can be made into a wedding venue and as I live in Birmingham I'm not sure where to look for traditional pretty 'village' hall type places:-) oh and the other problem is my H2B isn't keen because he doesn't want it to be shabby (I keep trying to tell him 'shabby chic'!) I am liking the school idea - that could really work:-) Ebee, did you do the decs yourself or have someone in, I love draping fabric, looks really posh:-) I am also keen on fairy lights to make the place preeeety:-) Neph x

• ebee
    Beginner January 2008
    ebee ·
    • Hide content

We did it ourselves .. i bought a roll of ivory material online and found some nice sea-blue stuff in a fabric shop - we used sticky backed velcro to stick it all up with ?

• N
    Beginner December 2009
    Nephelae ·
    • Hide content

Wow!! well done - I'm inspired now, already thinking of all the local schools we could use:-) Neph x

• pink alien
    Beginner May 2008
    pink alien ·
    • Hide content

We had our reception in a village hall - it was lovely! Although like others have said you have to think about decorating more carefully! We made loads of bunting, used balloons, and had giant garden games in a few gazebos outside.

• PennyFarthing
    Beginner
    PennyFarthing ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I knew I'd seen these pictures some where and I've been googling like a nutter and it was a hitched girlie all along ?

Your hall looked fab and I think just perfect for the afternoon tea "garden party" theme.

• pink alien
    Beginner May 2008
    pink alien ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you!

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

I have dressed a few weddings in village halls. They can look fabulous once dressed and as the others have said at a fraction of the ost!Here are some pics to give you some ideas:

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics