Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kat
Beginner October 2024 Devon

Village halls?

Kat, 28 of January of 2023 at 17:03 Posted on Planning 1 7

Hi!
I just was wondering about people's experiences with village halls? Me and my partner have been together 10 years so far and are finally tieing the knot! 💍We've looked at one venue and we feel in love with it but we've come away now not sure because of the hefty price that comes with it, and that's only with 35 people max...
We'd love a big party and we have a local town where my partner grew up so have started thinking about hiring their village hall instead. But I'm worried it will look cheap being in a village hall, did anyone have theirs in a village hall and loved it? Any pros or cons? I'm feeling a little overwhelmed and don't want to choose the wrong venue!Ta x

7 replies

Latest activity by Hollie, 6 of February of 2023 at 04:48
  • L
    Dedicated September 2023 Derbyshire
    Lizzie ·
    • Hide content
    I've been to a couple of receptions at village halls and they were fine. We spent some time outside during the day, then had inside to retreat to when the midges came out later! If that is what works for you, it's definitely worth doing.
  • P
    Beginner August 2023 Essex
    Poppy ·
    • Hide content
    Village halls can be decorated beautifully, I suppose you need to weigh up the cost of the venue versus the cost of the hall and the decorations? But it would be unique and you'd have total freedom to do whatever you wanted
  • K
    Dedicated June 2023 Essex
    Kirsty ·
    • Hide content

I agree with the above, you can make it look lovely, but I think you would have to spend more on decor to get what you want.

Have you looked around at some more venues? There are venues that cater to smaller weddings and tend to have less of a price tag than a larger venue that is having a smaller wedding take place there.

I would advise to look around and see more venues. It sounds to me you aren't sure on the village hall, and therefore I would explore other options. Have a look at dry hire venues, where you can then bring in your own catering, this is often far more cost effective than hiring a venue all in.

Also look at hotels and restaurants that have marquees. These are often better priced than a wedding specific venue.

• J
    Beginner March 2018 New York
    Joshua ·
    • Hide content

I definitely think it's normal to get overwhelmed at times - just take a deep breath and a step back - you got this and I hope it's all worth it in the end!

• R
    Beginner July 2023 Norfolk
    Rogerslosa ·
    • Hide content

How big hall you looking for? Mysainsburys Portal

• K
    Beginner March 2024 West Midlands
    Katie ·
    • Hide content

We wanted a hall, but decided to go with our local bowls club function room instead. Extra hands behind the bar but still giving us the freedom to decorate how we want

• Laura
    Dedicated July 2023 Cambridgeshire
    Laura ·
    • Hide content
    If you have a look at Joel and Claire on the Real Weddings section, I work with Joel and they had their reception in a village hall - it worked well for them.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics