Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner April 2016

Village halls in Hertfordshire/Bedford

Apey, 23 of October of 2014 at 17:38 Posted on Planning 0 10

Hi all Smiley smile

My husband-to-be and I are considering hiring a village hall for our wedding reception and going "DIY" (we already have our caterer if we go down this route, so that's fine!). We would hope to get married in Hitchin at the Hitchin Priory so would ideally like a village hall/community centre venue somewhere near there. For me, a priority is having green space - I'd like somewhere we can set up garden games, a bouncy castle etc for guests to enjoy while they hang around waiting for food to be served etc. There's so so many out there and without photos that I think it's going to take us forever! We live in London currently, so it's not easy to 'pop over' and visit the halls...

SO...does anyone know of any picturesque village halls in Hertfordshire (or Bedford even) that would be suitable for a wedding reception of approximately 80 guests and preferably with outdoor space/green?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated Smiley smile

Many thanks!

April

10 replies

Latest activity by Irene, 26 of September of 2023 at 10:10
  • *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

I don't know many village halls but just wanted to say that Hitchin Priory is lovely. My friend got married there and it was fantastic.

• M
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsMatson ·
    • Hide content

Springfield house in stevenage old town. We are getting married there as it is beautiful.

it is a lovely old house with a large landscaped garden. We too are planning garden games and a relaxed garden party feel.

• A
    Beginner April 2016
    Apey ·
    • Hide content

Ah that's nice to hear - Thank you! Smiley smile I've seen so many venues I can't remember it clearly, but my fiancee loved it!

• A
    Beginner April 2016
    Apey ·
    • Hide content

We're tentatively looking at Ickleford Village Hall (no outdoor space but lovely interior) and Cassel Hall (outdoor space but not as nice inside!)

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content

My local area....

Its not a village hall but you could try hitchin boys school they have a grassy quadrant that they can hire out.

The nearest village halls to hitch in would be codicote, st ipployts, graveley, great wymondley, knebworth, & Willian . none of them have grassy areas though. So you would probably be better looking at a different type of venue if you want the bouncy castle etc.

I have attached a link to the council website which lists all the village halls & community centers near hitchin. Don't know about any in beds thought.

http://www.north-herts.gov.uk/index/community_and_living/community_centres_and_facilities/village_halls.htm

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content

One place I looked at was minstrel court near royston. They have an approved licence but they have plenty of grassy place and as wedding venues go are fairly flexible & quite reasonable.

http://www.minstrelcourt.com

• A
    Beginner April 2016
    Apey ·
    • Hide content

Oh goodness Springfield House looks beautiful! Are you having your civil ceremony there?

I'll get in touch with them right away. Thank you!! Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsMatson ·
    • Hide content

We are. It is a hidden gem of a place. I can't wait!

We have decided not to get married outside but praying for dry weather so the rest can be outside.

• A
    Beginner April 2016
    Apey ·
    • Hide content

Ooh thanks Chucklevision - that's all really helpful Smiley smile

We did look at Minstrel Court, but weren't able to bring our own caterers in. Since we know our caterer, this was an important aspect to us. There was something about Minstrel that didn't feel quite "right" for us - but it was a lovely open space and they have some nice plans in place for it too!

Thank you for narrowing down that huge list with the closest halls to Hitchin for us. I'll email them all tomorrow! xx

• A
    Beginner April 2016
    Apey ·
    • Hide content

When are you getting married? Fingers crossed for the dry weather! x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics