Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner June 2022 Colorado

Vintage dress alterations in Oxfordshire

Kirsten, 3 of January of 2022 at 21:48 Posted on Wedding Attire 0 1
This is a slightly longer story but the TLDR message is this: I am looking for an affordable boutique or seamstress that is willing to alter my mothers wedding dress from the 70’s by May, preferably near Oxfordshire. Any and all suggestions and experiences welcome!!!

Now for the long bit of the story: I am from the US but living in Oxford (UK)The confusing bit of this is the my partner and I are getting married in the USA… which is also where the dress is currently! We’ve scoped out the price and possibility of getting it altered there but I am chickening out now and thinking that I will not have time/money to travel to get a fitting before our wedding in June. Why travel all the way to the US for a weekend fitting?? Also international travel is so much more of a problem now due to Covid…. The one big trip for the wedding is enough as it is.
Our wedding is very non-traditional, and laid back and relaxed. On one hand, wearing my mothers dress is very sentimental and the other of it is very budget minded.
Now that I am considering getting it shipped here, and altered here… I am wondering is it worth it? Am I crazy?

In general just feeling out my options and wonder if there is anyone else on here that has similar or applicable experiences?

1 replies

Latest activity by Victoria, 5 of January of 2022 at 20:20
  • Victoria
    Curious April 2022 North Yorkshire
    Victoria ·
    • Hide content
    I don’t live nearby, so can’t recommend anyone. But try a local wedding dress shop and ask if they have people they recommend for alterations (my dress shop has a list of people who’s work they have checked).

You may need more than one fitting, so having the dress here would allow for that. On the other hand… what if it got lost in transit? Do you have anyone planning on visiting you, who could bring it over?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics