Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Vintage ice cream van at evening reception- do you think it's worth it?

6 of August of 2013 at 20:24 Posted on Planning 0 17

Hi all!

I'm debating whether or not to hire a vintage ice cream van to turn up and serve traditional ice cream (not mr whippy type) at our evening reception- do you think it's worth it? Is it something you'd like to see at a party and would you actually have some? It's £500 so I want to make sure it would get used!

17 replies

Latest activity by WontBaJonesmuchlonger, 7 of August of 2013 at 21:02
  • woowoo83
    Beginner October 2013
    woowoo83 ·
    • Hide content

I was at a wedding last year that had one that was like a bicycle with a cart attached and they served ice cream, they also made fresh candy floss too, it arrived in the lull between the meal and the evening reception so it was well timed, I think pretty much all the guests had either the ice cram or candy floss. I personally wouldn't spend £500 on it as we're on a tight budget but if you've the money it would be worth it.

• L
    Beginner September 2014
    loves-young-dream ·
    • Hide content

I really want one! I've seen the bicycles for about £350, I hope we can afford one I think it's a nice touch and something people will remember! xx

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

We had an ice cream cart at the start of our evening reception, from G&D's in Oxford, it was fab!

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

I would LOVE this at a wedding! We're not doing it though as there's much more on the list before this for any spare £500!

• L
    Beginner August 2013
    LollyS ·
    • Hide content

I'd have some! A couple of weeks ago I happened to walk past a wedding which had an ice cream van (outside the church) and there was a big queue, it was a hot day so I think that makes it more popular, however I think I'd risk a bit of rain for it!

• Y
    Beginner April 2014
    YellowDuckie ·
    • Hide content

Totally. My OH lives whippy though so wouldn't be worth it for us. Tempted to have an ice cream van with whippy though!

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

Love it.

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

I love ice cream & would really love this but I won't spend £500 on it, i'm thinking each guest if they even had one ice cream each that's still so much over priced.
    And i'm imagining our guests having alcohol and stuff and maybe being full up from the meals so not wanting any and i'd be raging after spending that, however if it was lower priced and we had the money spare would try and get one as I do love the look of them and love the idea of it. It's the same with the candy carts for me but again too pricey so doing it myself lol. If you really want it and can afford it you may as well go for it Smiley smilexx

• noseli24
    Beginner July 2014
    noseli24 ·
    • Hide content

My brother had a vintage ice cream van at his wedding a month ago, and it was fantastic! It turned out very popular, and was a nice surprise that they had kept. They used the ice cream van as their dessert for the wedding breakfast. Would definitely recommend the company they had (what area do you live in?). I'm not sure how much they paid.

• tayto
    Beginner May 2013
    tayto ·
    • Hide content

I wanted it but H said no and also my family felt the priest wouldn't appreciate it (I wanted it after the ceremony) but we went to a wedding a month after ours and they had it - it went down an absolute storm - everyone loved it!

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

£500? Wow! Is it gourmet icecream or does he have to travel a long way? We're having an ice cream van from the local fleet for one hour and it's £140+vat and includes £140 worth of ice cream! The vintage van is really cute but I'm not sure I'd pay and extra £360 for it.

• laurafish
    Beginner July 2016
    laurafish ·
    • Hide content

I'm pretty certain this is something I'm going to be doing, I really love the idea!

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

I shot a wedding where sorbitum ices came, they had THE nicest ice creams, like elderflower and prosecco ice cream, more gourmet stuff, I'd rec them, and it definitely got used!

• W
    Beginner December 2013
    WontBaJonesmuchlonger ·
    • Hide content

We have booked a ice cream van instead of desert! To follow our BBQ :-)

It's £350 for unlimited ice cream I think (we asked for 160 servings over 2.5hours), its posh ice cream and mr whippy which pleases my OH, the kids and my mum!

its an old fashioned van- we found it really hard to get a vintage one that would travel to Essex!! If they are old they tend not to do a lot of miles.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics