Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

V
Beginner August 2014

Vintage tea party - Hertfordshire - Advice please (new member)

Valentine14, 21 October, 2012 at 19:10 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hiya,

After being engaged to my partner of 8 years for 18 months already... We have FINALLY set a date for our wedding - 2nd August 2014. As I am a busy mother of 2 young boys as well as being a full time NHS student, I have an embarrassing tiny budget and was looking at ways in which I could keep the costs down...

I finally convinced my Fiance to agree to a bit of a DIY wedding and then it struck me that afternoon tea would be ideal and match the dress style and colour scheme i already have my heart set on.

So the advice i need...

1) I was thinking of getting married around 3pm and feeding my guests just the once - I am unsure as to whether this will work?

2) I am looking for a venue that will accommodate this theme on a mega budget... Does anybody have any ideas

(edited to add - ) 3) does anybody have experience in hiring cash bars or bringing their own alcohol to a venue?

Thanks Smiley smile xx

6 replies

Latest activity by *Pugsley*, 22 October, 2012 at 16:35
  • D
    Beginner July 2014
    Duke_1987 ·
    • Hide content

Hello Smiley smile

One of my friends is gettin married late in the day so that they only have to feed people once, i think its a fab idea.

Also, i was at a weddin fayre last week end speaking to a venue decorator and she said her favourite weddings parties/receptions are the ones in village halls. She said because they are normally so plain you can do anything to it and really put your stamp on it and i think DIY decorations look fab, especially with the afternoon tea theme..

Natalie Smiley smile

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Try Three Lakes near to Ware...very accommodating and not over pricey. Maxine, the manager, looks after the couples very well....

A scorching wedding at the Three Lakes outdoor wedding location overlooking the Rib Valley.

Peter

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

BTW, welcome to the forum....?

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content

Hi Smiley smile

Please don't be embarrassed that you're on a small budget - embrace it Smiley smile

We too are on a small budget (£3k is a lot of money to me, but evidently not in *wedding land*) and are getting married mid-afternoon so we only have to feed people once! We've pulled in an awful lot of favours - there's a thread on here 'crafty/budget brides' about sharing ideas/

We're getting married at the reg office and our 'do' is in a lovely community centre which is like a 1960s village hall. Look around for non-typical wedding venues like church and village halls (ours cost £750 for 9am-midnight).

Afternoon tea sounds lush Smiley smile Good luck!

• Hollies
    Beginner December 2018
    Hollies ·
    • Hide content

Absolutely nothing embarrassing about working to a small budget. The best wedding i have ever been to (future BIL's wedding) was on a VERY tight budget. It was ceremony then we had breakfast in a really retro style cafe followed by a big party in a village hall the day after. Their budget was less than rubyfirecracker's I believe. It was great because it was exactly what a wedding should be, a celebration of close friends and family for two people making a lifetime commitment to one another. It was fab.

Agree with Rubyfirecracker, look for non-weddingy venues and call in favours. We are hoping to marry late aftenoon so we only have to feed people once. We are hoping to see a stunning venue soon which is £750 for the whole day and they provide a cash bar for no extra cost. I really believe they are out there, you just have to dig a little deeper and go off the beaten track a little! Having quite a while to plan means you'll be able to hunt around for deals too.

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

? innit!

Try looking on https://www.hallshire.com/ and http://www.cheap-wedding-success.co.uk/cheap-wedding-venue.html to look for cheap venues in your area. Some will have a cash bar already so you won't have to hire one of those 'free' bars. Seen them advertised but not sure about them as I reckon there must be a catch - drinks are probably insanely expensive. Working mens clubs, navy clubs, sports halls and village halls often have a very cheap bar.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Hi and welcome!

I'm also a Hertfordshire bride. Whilst viewing venues I looked at Shenley Cricket ground. They had a very cheap deal on when I was looking (and may still offer this). Plus if I remember correctly they had pictures of a wedding there with the same tea-party theme and the venue would be perfect for something like that.

Good luck with your planning!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics