Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

F
Beginner August 2013

Vintage wedding on a tight budget

Future_Mrs_Mc, 29 November, 2012 at 13:44 Posted on Planning 0 7

HELP!!!

I am getting married in August 2013 and our theme is Navy Blue and Dusky Pink. However due to buying our first house recently and the cost of raising a toddler we have to do things on a tight budget.

I was wondering if anybody had any ideas of things I can do, me and my bridesmaids are quite creative and good at DIY and computers. We have had a splurg and got a vintage sweet cart from a company and that will be decorated in co-ordinating colours and we are hoping to make our own Photo Booth.

I am going to make my own table numbers by sticking little rose buds in the shape of the number in a photo frame in co-ordinating colours and I have a few small birdcages to put on the top table and I'm going to use my 3 bridesmaids bouquets in vases on the top table so the top table is done but I need ideas for centerpieces.. favours.. invitations.... table plan, i really really want a suitcase table plan with bunting but they work out near £60 Smiley sad

Ideas or suggestions will be very much appreciated Smiley laugh

7 replies

Latest activity by Teal, 29 November, 2012 at 20:55
  • F
    Beginner August 2013
    Future_Mrs_Mc ·
    • Hide content

I really wanted the sweet cart, and I thought it would be a nice treat because I am so in love with it....

I cant find anywhere near me who hires vintage suitcases...

I want to hand make a few bits but i need ideas what to actually make... like what style of favours, Im not sure on the bread in basket theme... It sounds lovely however the venue doesnt allow you to bring your own food in (im having milk and cookies for the kids to toast and paying £5 a head for it) so no doubt they will charge a bomb for the bread

I know I'm doing luggage tag place cards as I have got luggage tag save the date cards to try and keep it all within the theme and colours

• zoe@hitched
    Dedicated February 2016
    zoe@hitched ·
    • Hide content

Browse eBay, Gumtree and the hitched For Sale forum to find things like vintage suitcases and decorative items.

As for favours - you can make homemade fudge so easily - just google for recipes - or biscuits, which you could ice with your guests names (doubling up as place cards and cutting costs!), or melt chocolate into moulds and wrap in cellophane for a pretty and affordable treat.

Would your venue allow you to serve up your wedding cake in place of dessert? That cuts out the cost of a course and can save a lot of money. You could also have a smaller cake to cut, a plain iced one which you could decorate yourself, and then have larger plain traybakes in the kitchen which can be cut up and served to guests. They don't need to ever know, and it can save a LOT of money!

• Foote2c
    Beginner December 2012
    Foote2c ·
    • Hide content

I made 60 metres of bunting for less than a fiver. Get cheap satin (I paid £1.03 a metre) and either tape or satin ribbon. Cut into strips fold then cut out triangle from corner to centre, you'll get double the number of triangles, and space them on your ribbon so you get the effect you want. Tah dah.

• katiechops
    Beginner June 2013
    katiechops ·
    • Hide content

Hi, sounds like you are having the same sort of wedding as me. I am in love with jam jars with jace and string round, just going to get a few cheap stems of flowers to go in them. Im also making my own cake stands, the plates were about 20-50p from charity shops and you can get the metal bits for the middle for a couple of pounds from ebay. I also got the milk churns from Ikea £10 for 2, i just added the lace. see pics below x

• F
    Beginner August 2013
    Future_Mrs_Mc ·
    • Hide content

KAtieChops, I love the little cake plates, what are you using the plates for??!! I have seen jam jar favours on my search this afternoon and I have loads of old Yankee Candle jars that I was thinking of popping cadles in to go all around!!

Also absolutely loving the homemade bunting! And such a bargain, I'm seriously looking into that one.... thank you sooo much for your help ladies, any more ideas would be soo helpful Smiley smile

• katiechops
    Beginner June 2013
    katiechops ·
    • Hide content

Im going to make them into cake stands, far cheaper to make your own. Im going to bake mini cupcakes for the afternoon and put them on the stands. Glad you like them x

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

If you want bunting- have the guests decorate it!

At a friends wedding, we were all sent a triangle of bunting in the invites. We were asked to decorate it as desired to be used a guest book & bring to the wedding. At the wedding, all the triangles were pegged onto the string around the door of the marquee. Some were simply written on in pen, others had sequins & some were embrioded with lovely words. The bunting nows hangs around a door in their new house.

I found lots of things at charity shops & poundland!

I agree that a home-made favour is most welcome. Fudge, biscuits, chocolates, marshmallows, toffees, jams, chutney, infused oils like chilli, garlic or rosemary.

Poundland, lidl & aldi often have seasonal specials which can include 'wedding' themed things. I got bride & groom shaped favour boxes from poundland for 10p each in such a special! Worth keeping an eye out.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics