Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

mum-wants-a-hat
Beginner June 2013

Vistaprint Photobook Wedding Album

mum-wants-a-hat, 21 of February of 2013 at 11:14 Posted on Planning 0 18

Not got one to flash I'm afraid, but for any bride on a budget like myself I can't recommend these highly enough!!! Mum showed me a couple she's had done... They have alot of amazing holidays so have a ridiculous amount of photos. So instead of printing off and putting into albums, she made hardback glossy books via vistaprint- one for china, another for India etc..... She paid a little extra to have superglossy paper and extra page inserts and still they came in at under £30 each!!! The quality of the book is superb, the clarity of pics amazing- I really cannot fault them at all!!! You can even add text wherever you want, put pics on angles, do diary entry type pages..... Am getting sooooo excited at the prospect of putting our pics into one once we are married!!!! TOG is still in training but really good and has a great eye..... He's just taking pics and will maybe do a little editing, but me and my sister love the editing side anyway. So I've just requested pics on a disc or pen. He's anold school friend of my daughters and we know him pretty well so the pics WITH one of these albums will come in at under £150!!! Don't be put off by the fact it's vistaprint... I was truly amazed :0) xx

18 replies

Latest activity by Geoff, 5 of February of 2021 at 18:41
  • 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

*makes not of this for later date*

We are having a storybook album from our tog as part our package but decided to do parent album ourselves from the printable disc, so this is good to know.

thanks

L x

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

Also, they almost always have offers on. I got a book printed from a similar cheap site and expected the quality to be awful, the outside cover was a bit cheap looking but the actual photo quality inside was great, I was pretty impressed!

• mum-wants-a-hat
    Beginner June 2013
    mum-wants-a-hat ·
    • Hide content

I can see me making them for hubbys 40th and our kids 16th 18th and 21st birthdays next year..... Gonna be a bloody expensive year lol!! :0) do go for the super glossy tho.... It's about an extra £7 but the pages are so thick, and wipe cleanable for all those tears which are bound to fall looking at the album haha xx

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

I too have used these kind of storybook albums for my own use and have done a direct comparison with some actual photo prints from my pro lab, and I see a problem with colour satuation and lack of detail in white/ light areas (dress). The colours are too intense and areas where their should be detail in the dress has gone.Without seeing a proper pro photo of the same subject you will be forgiven for thinking that the cheep books look good.
    Also with alot of use they do not stand up to ware and tear. BUT- but they are only £30 and for that cash they are great.And I have used them many times for my own family snaps.
    I just want to point out the situation as with may issues with photographers wedding prices you may think why should I pay £200 for the same book from my photographer when I can get it for £30. The reason is it is not the same thing as the pro one has different binding and thicker pages on real photographic paper
    you can get the cheaper ones on real photographic paper too, but it is a consumer grade one that is not the same quality as the pro stuff.
    The thing is I have to supply the more expensive one because other wise you will come back to me and say the colours are not right, also as you have found out it is not quick to create.

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

The Photobox £100 premium books have a decent print quality. Not perfect, but good enough for most.

They won't last forever but they're 100 sides for £100.

(I don't use them, I just ordered one for a client who needed something without a 4 week lead time).

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

People are ALWAYS really surprised when I tell them how much a pro photobook costs, hehe! It's why I don't offer an album service, it just doesn't fit within my price bracket at all!!

• Hide content

I don't do canvases for a similar reason - I can get one for £30 but for my time and expertise and hassle I am going to charge £60. The thing is it costs me £30 so that means it costs the supplier £10 so the bride and groom are getting a £10 product for £60 and it is just not worth it.
  • mum-wants-a-hat
    Beginner June 2013
    mum-wants-a-hat ·
    • Hide content

Thanks to all you TOGS for your comments. I fully appreciate what is being said, and agree.... You're not going to get as good DIYing as you are using pro services. However, for many B2Bs this isn't an option, which is why I highlighted the photobook point. I would have loved a pro shoot by a particular local guy but I know this is totally out of my budget, so I am being realistic about what I can comfortably afford.... These books are a great option for those wanting a nice souvenir, and can be placed as a multiple order for parents etc too. Please don't think I am in any way trying to suggest a TOG album is not worth the money..... Of course they are :0)

• Hide content

"Please don't think I am in any way trying to suggest a TOG album is not worth the money..."

Yep I know where you are comming from I just wanted to point out the difference.

The £30 ones are woth every penny and by the same token the pro ones are woth every penny too.

Ive just done 4 of the cheep books for family christmas prezys - all old photos of grandparents and Mum and Dad.

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

Gonna pitch in here for some advise ... Lulu? what do you TOG's think of them? quality wise that is. saw the vista flip book and I'm not won over. My TOG has some nice new photobook vendors (KISS is one of them) and i MIGHT get one

But my OH is a printer so .... he may be doing it for us and at cost price for materials only. Lulu might be another option if he cant strike deal with his boss. buuuuuuuut I'm also making artbook for my digital artwork and so far lulu looks like a good distributor (primarily because it gives you a ISBN) but i'm not sure of the quality of print ...

• ImagineIt
    Beginner December 2012
    ImagineIt ·
    • Hide content

We had ours done with Photobox. Its fab! Really good colour & quality. The total came to over £100, (as we had loads of pages in it) but we had a 50% off voucher, so it was a no brainer.

I think i'll use Vistaprint for my holiday pics though as that sounds loads cheaper.x

• Photo Productions
    Photo Productions ·
    • Hide content

The main issue is that like anything, you get what you pay for.

The cheaper 'DIY' albums are certainly good value for money, but are they really what you want for a wedding?

You're spending thousands (sometimes tens of thousands) on the big day - so why go for an album that costs £30-£50, has inferior print quality and binding, and most probably won't last 5 years, let alone fifty. It's the only thing you'll have to look back on your wedding in the future (except maybe the video), so it should also be looked on as a good investment.

Yes, we're biased, but for an extra £100 or so you can have your album(s) professionally designed and printed, and as we say, you'll have something to treasure forever.

Marc ?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

It might just be me but I really don't buy the 'longevity' argument.

Better design, better colour, better print quality? Yes.

Lasting a lifetime? No. Why? You can just get a new one made. Gives you a chance to jig things around a bit as well...

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

Our photographers recommended Bobs books and I think it is great. I wasn't fussed enough to spend literally hundreds on the Queensbury album which is handcrafted by New Zealand virgins in white gloves made of mink hair, or whatever it was.

Reality is I don't look at my wedding album that often and I think the quality appears fab to the layperson.

Also, my togs were brilliant and happy to go with their recommendation.

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

Gonna add it here, Milk books? they're from new zealand, pretty good reviews online so far, I'm thinking about going with them for my DIY album. further research is needed.

As a designer i MUCH prefer how they look than the Graphi ones. Do get me wrong they're very well laid out, but i find a lot of their graphic designs 'jars' with me. compositions have the 'almost there' feeling, but I think that comes with personal preference on design from someone who does it day in, day out, I like slick, clean and simple. especially with photos (unless its a ad its has to be IN YO FACE!) I have the same little gripe's for the vista print ones (and others of a similar ilk) the kerning, the guttering etc etc.

I'm actually being VERY fussy. But my printer OH is even fussier but at the same time were VERY control freaky over design. So I think taking the time to choose a book publisher more to our needs will be best course of action. I'm babbling now, I'll shhhh again.

• *Teabag*
    Beginner June 2013
    *Teabag* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

? My SIL is forever mentioning her Queensberry album which is SO precious that it can't be taken out of the house! I am looking into doing a DIY photobook once we get the pics back from our TOG so thanks for all the different recommendations on this post ?

• E
    ExpensiveGoldBridesmaid894 ·
    • Hide content

I love photobooks, thank you!

I recently found a great article about it

• G
    Beginner August 2009 East London
    Geoff ·
    • Hide content

Me and my wife couldn't afford a photobook at the time but I got our wedding photos turned into a photobook for our 10th anniversary with www.supaphoto.com and she absolutely loved it! I had a look at the vistaprint one and I'm so glad you're happy with how yours turned out, it just didn't have the same personalisational touches that these smaller companies have. if anyone needs any recommendations then absolutely, vistaprint do have amazing deals on photobooks but I'd also say it's worth taking a look at smaller companies because a wedding album is one you keep forever so making it as personal as possible is always important!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics