Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner August 2015

Voluntary contribution for church?

sadie.lamb@outlook.com, 19 of July of 2015 at 19:29 Posted on Planning 0 4

Hi there,

we get married in a church this August and I'm just going through the the cost of the church and there is a voluntary contribution of £150?! Do a lot of people pay this or will it look really bad if we don't pay it?

thank you xx

4 replies

Latest activity by SunnyBrownDiamonds138, 20 of July of 2015 at 18:07
  • halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

How much are they charging you in total? Maybe try and pay them what you can afford?

• S
    Beginner December 2015
    SunnyPinkConfetti310 ·
    • Hide content

I don't know what the answer is but its so hard when voluntary contributions are brought into it! We have to pay fixed costs for the heating/lighting and the organist, but for the reverend and the service itself it's a voluntary contribution.

In your position, I would round what you're already paying up to a round figure, so £420 up to £500 (for example).

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

It depends how much the church are charging - the fees for marriage are not set by them (usually around the £400 mark depending on area and church) some churches then charge more for the actual upkeep of the church itself, by the sounds of it your church doesn't and instead asks for a voluntary contribution instead.

We paid the same as a voluntary contribution we weren't asked but felt important to do so as it goes directly to the upkeep of that church (rather then the central church).

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I think it means that their PCC have not enforced a fee scale yet. So the main fee is what goes straight to the diocese, it's set centrally.

Usually, the PCC then set a 2nd tariff that is compulsory and can make up another 200-400 on top of the tariff fees. This would make more sense as then they wouldn't have people wondering whether to make the voluntary donation!

I'd suggest you pay the whole £150 as it's quite cheap compared to what some churches add on.

• S
    Beginner August 2015
    SunnyBrownDiamonds138 ·
    • Hide content

I don't know what to pay either. Our isn't set. The organist is £275, the singer £110 and the official legal signing of the register is £40. We have already paid £50 for the church course they made us go on, I am now assuming they want us to make a voluntary contribution too. Don't know how much to give? I get married next Thursday!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics