Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MrsNorm
Beginner June 2017

Vow renewal

MrsNorm, 23 of January of 2016 at 16:54 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hello everyone! My husband and I got married on the 2nd June 2012. I unfortunately had an eye infection, 50 out of 200 turned up. The buffet turned up after we did and no one danced. In March 2015 my husband had 3 strokes so although we had already decided to renew our vows after 10years we want to do it sooner. I suggested after 5 years which will make it next year but this all depends on finances. My husband will be leaving his job soon and I will be supporting him so I won't have loads to spend. Any tips?

9 replies

Latest activity by Jayne E, 24 of January of 2016 at 15:10
  • Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

We married early January after I finished breast cancer treatment. Eloped in Lapland and it was wonderful. My HUSBAND lol has already said he wants another ceremony when .Five years clear. I have no tips other than to say if it's what you want to do then do it. I don't care who says why bother or it should be this many years. When you've had trauma and health problems it makes you wonder how long you have etc. I suppose one tip is that this time there would be no legal ceremony required so remember you can have what you want where you want. For you two, a few or a lot and where ever you wish. We will combine ours with another place on my bucket list.

• MrsNorm
    Beginner June 2017
    MrsNorm ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the reply. Have to admit our family are not too keen. They think it's a waste of money. But friends are happy for us. Was thinking of inviting around 50 people. Mostly friends. Problem is we can't afford thousands. All venues cost loads :-( I will get another dress. Thus will be off of the sale rail. I think it's the food and venue plus decs that will break the bank. Really don't know how to get around it x

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

What about a village hall and a tea party type of theme or even a garden party? Nice pub? If its a waste of money then that's fine because its your money to waste. ? i was on a small budget and bought a 1450.00 dress in a sample sale for 400.00

• MrsNorm
    Beginner June 2017
    MrsNorm ·
    • Hide content

That's a point. The village hall where we lived before recently moving was only £50. Would want to renew our vows somewhere nice though. Not fussed about dj will have music playing on iPod or something. Then there's food and drink

• I
    Beginner December 2016
    IceBlue ·
    • Hide content

Could you possibly have your reception in a cute village pub? The pub should be able to put on either some cheaper sit down meals or provide a buffet.

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

It's my dream also to renew, mine is for mainly for vanity reasons, in the summer leading upto our wedding I was struggling with pcos (undiagnosed at this point) but my weight kept planking on and on so when I see my photos I do feel a little regret (I know completely vein) that I had to have emergency alterations etc. Also, we had people at our wedding that I wish I put my foot down and didn't attend (lots of reasons) also part of me kind of wanted just me and hubby under a tree taking our vows.... So hubby has agreed that we can renew once I'm happy about myself just a simple ceremony (possibly Vegas) me him and an awesome dress :-)

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

What about having simple prepare mostly in advance and ask friends or family to help. Some have asked people to bring their best cake and had a great British bake off type for dessert with a prize for the best. I would definately employ someone to do the clean up if you go down this route. You could use a bar company so no hassle with that. You could book a bbq or hog roast maybe for food. Lots of options to not break the budget and lots of diy bunting looks lovely.

• Stephisaur
    Beginner April 2017
    Stephisaur ·
    • Hide content

My Aunt and Uncle renewed their vows a few years ago. They had a blessing by the minister at their local church (where they got married first time) and then walked down to the village hall where afternoon tea was served. It wasn't an expensive day, but it was beautiful and relaxed. Their biggest expense was hiring someone in to do the cakes and serve the tea. xxx

• MrsNorm
    Beginner June 2017
    MrsNorm ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for the replies. When we had our wedding, we booked it for 4pm. We then had a buffet and party. If we were to do it earlier would it just be food and music after? Do you think Afternoon would be better?

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Later would mean you're only really feeding people once so be a cost saving. Earlier depending on time of year might give better light for photos etc. Also consider travelling time once you decide where to have your renewal.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics