Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sarah
Beginner June 2024 Worcestershire

Vow Renewal / anniversary celebration

Sarah, 6 of March of 2024 at 15:34 Posted on Planning 0 2

Hey everyone,

I got married 10th June last year and my day didn't go to plan (well my plan) at all. A combination of hair and make up artist stress which led to a very frosty and awkward wedding morning, lots of family drama which resulted in me having a major panic attack seconds before walking down the aisle then a storm which knocked the power out at our venue for most of the evening do meant i have very mixed feelings on the day.

I am so happy to be married to my husband and I know that is really all that matters but i still look back on the day with lots of regret and sadness that key moments I feel were ruined for me. I wish I wasn't hyperventilating during my grand entrance, I wish I wasn't constantly on edge trying to keep an eye on my family and practically keeping everyone else happy. This is only the key things that went wrong.

This had a massive impact on me for the first month of married life, i felt depressed and sad all the time and couldn't bare to look at pictures or videos of the day. As more time has gone by i can now watch my wedding video and look at the photos but still have a sad tinge to them. I've been very honest with my husband and indeed lots of both of our family members and no one can see what i see. They say the day was perfect a day to be remembered because of the storm and that everyone had a great time.... yeah everyone but me! Smiley amazing

my husband thinks I am joking when I talk about vow renewals later down the line... i think one wedding was enough for him. We are going away to Tenby this year for our 1st wedding anniversary and I can't stop thinking about organizing something... like a private thing somewhere on a cliff or on the beach or just a romantic meal which I am sure we would do anyway. Maybe not necessarily a vow renewal (though I would love to wear the big white dress again and say exactly what i want to my husband about how he makes me feel rather than the strict wording we had in our ceremony) but something significant enough on our first wedding anniversary just the two of us to celebrate our marriage.

I'm not sure what i'm even asking here but any ideas are welcome. And please understand I know it's not about the 'wedding day' it's the marriage and I am very very happily married. I guess i just feel like i missed out on something that will never happen again.

2 replies

Latest activity by Jesse, 14 of March of 2024 at 11:20
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

There's nothing wrong with wanting to do something special to celebrate anniversaries - in fact, it's a great idea to do every year. But I'm not sure about a vow renewal.

"I guess i just feel like i missed out on something that will never happen again."

I think this is the key phrase - your wedding day didn't go the way you'd dreamed it would, and you know it was a once-in-a-lifetime event, so you are struggling to accept that it doesn't match up to your dream. And I'm not sure that a re-do is going to help with that. Because whatever you do on your anniversary, it is still not going to undo the things that you were not happy with on your wedding day. Even if you had a vow renewal that was identical to your wedding (and I doubt you'd get many people signing up for that after only a year of marriage - most big vow renewal events are for something like a 25th anniversary!) I think you might still be left with some feelings of dissatisfaction.

Sometimes, we have to accept that something didn't work out the way we had hoped and learn to live with it. I totally get that - we got married in 2020, so our wedding looked absolutely nothing like we had planned, and sometimes I feel sad for some of the things that we missed. But you can't wind the clock back.

If you regret not being able to "say exactly what i want to my husband about how he makes me feel" then why not write him a letter that tells him those things and give it to him as an anniversary gift?

As for the rest, if you continue to struggle to let go of your disappointment, it might be worth looking at getting some counselling to help you lay it all to rest. It's natural to be a bit disappointed when things don't go according to plan, but if it's still making you sad 9 months on, it's maybe time to get some professional help in sorting out those feelings.

• J
    Beginner June 2019 Hertfordshire
    Jesse ·
    • Hide content

Hello @Sarah,

It's completely understandable to feel a mix of emotions about your wedding day, especially when things didn't go as planned. It sounds like you experienced a lot of stress and disappointment amidst what should have been a joyous occasion. It's important to acknowledge those feelings and allow yourself the space to process them.

First and foremost, it's wonderful that you have a strong and happy marriage with your husband. That is the most significant aspect of your wedding day, and it's great to hear that you're both happily married.

As you approach your first wedding anniversary, it's natural to want to mark the occasion in a special way. Planning something intimate and meaningful just for the two of you sounds like a lovely idea. Whether it's a private moment on a cliff or beach, a romantic meal, or even a small ceremony to renew your vows in a way that feels authentic and true to yourselves, it's all about celebrating your love and commitment to each other.

Best Regards

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics