Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

SuperDuff
Beginner November 2013

Vow renewal - Etiquette?

SuperDuff, 9 August, 2012 at 08:27 Posted on Planning 0 14

Hi all!

I received an invite to a friend's vow renewal, to the evening only. In the invitation, it had all the usual details of a wedding invite, including a wedding list type thing (they want money to go on "honeymoon"). I went to the whole wedding the first time round and got them the best present I could afford at the time (we were very close during school but have drifted apart since she got married as she moved, then came back, had kids etc and our paths just don't cross that often, and we're nowhere near as close as we used to be).

Am I being a little OTT in thinking this is cheeky? I haven't ever been to a vow renewal before, and I think that this is cheeky, bordering on rude, but I don't have anything to compare it with.

Thanks!

14 replies

Latest activity by rachel2012, 9 August, 2012 at 14:40
  • Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

Which bit do you think is being cheeky- only inviting you to the evening, wanting money for honeymoon, something else?

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Incredibly cheeky I think. They've had their wedding and I'm sure a fair few gifts too.

If they want to renew their vows fair enough but they really shouldn't be including gift information!

In your situation as an evening guest I'd honestly just take a card. You bought them a gift first time round. Cheeky mares.

• ladyzoot
    Beginner August 2012
    ladyzoot ·
    • Hide content

I can see why you might think its a bit cheeky to ask for gifts for a vow renewal. As you said, you went to their original wedding and got them a lovely gift. If it was me, I would not have asked for gifts for a vow renewal, but as they have asked I would feel obliged to give them something!

• SuperDuff
    Beginner November 2013
    SuperDuff ·
    • Hide content

The gift list part.

The evening only doesn't bother me at all, as I said, we drifted apart a long time ago and are nowhere near as close as we were in the past, so that's no issue whatsoever.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that thinks it's a bit cheeky.

• psycho_jo
    Beginner August 2012
    psycho_jo ·
    • Hide content

I think that's well cheeky! I have felt bad enough putting gift info in evening invites as it is (decided just to put our website in rather than info on gifts) let alone for a vow renewal. It's prob going to cost you enough just to attend. Seems a rather cheeky way of them getting a holiday. TBH am not really into the whole vow renewal thing and to make it like another wedding is a bit OTT in my opinion...

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

I think that's highly cheeky. It might be different if first time round they'd eloped (although I still wouldn't do it) but they've had their wedding party and gifts! And a honeymoon, presumably! How many years has it been since their wedding?

I would just take a card and a small present.

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

Whats wrong with just an anniversary party these days!?*

I think the asking for gifts is cheeky too.

* Disclaimer Mummy Duck is planning on having a mahoosive party in the next couple of years, and they will stand and thank each other for being brilliant etc. But she was undergoing treatment for breast cancer when they married, and the day was small and did not have much of a celebratory atmosphere. She still isn't calling it re-newing her vows because the ones she said that day still stand.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I can guarantee mummy and daddy duck aren't going to try and get a free holiday out of the guests of said party though!

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

Noooo!! Mummy Duck will be sending out email invites and it will specifically say 'this isn't a wedding, strictly no gifts are required!'

I will probably get them something being the rebellious daughter that I am. Perhaps a Kharv-tastic couple in non-wedding gear along with Angus their dog! Fab idea if I say so myself! Come on mummy duck, get planning!

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

Oh my god! How rude! If H and I were to ever reknew our vows then we would probably just go on holiday and do it just the 2 of us. I wouldnt dream of doing the whole wedding thing again, with invites and gift lists and so on, it's extremely rude. Take a card and be done with it.

• C
    Beginner September 2013
    Caraboo ·
    • Hide content

It's very American. It's a *thing* over there to re-do the whole wedding after ten years. Personally, I find it a bit OTT. The cost for both the couple and all their guests, the extravagance, the being centre of attention .... again. Honestly, people, ten years isn't a long time! Maybe after 50 years, I could see people wanting to make a fuss!

My grandparents made their 75th wedding anniversary!! Now THAT was something worth celebrating, but it was still just all the family having a nice meal and staying the night in a hotel.

• SuperDuff
    Beginner November 2013
    SuperDuff ·
    • Hide content

Thanks!

It's their 10 year anniversary. I think that it's nice to have an anniversary party (my Nan and Grandad did a nice meal out for the family for their Ruby), and I'd never normally say no to a party, but it's just the present thing.

I think I shall do as suggested and get them a card and turn up. It's their choice to spend this money all over again after all.

• M
    Beginner August 2012
    mrshms ·
    • Hide content

Agree with those above, I think it's really rude! We haven't even put gift information in our evening invites for our wedding because we felt cheeky! I think I'd just be buying them a card tbh!

• T
    Beginner July 2012
    Thursday Bride ·
    • Hide content

If they'd not had the "big white wedding" first time around due to some circumstance or other (similar to Mummy Duck) it would make a bit more sense BUT as they've done all that it just seems a very cheeky way of getting a "free holiday". Take a card but I wouldn't feel obliged to give anything in it

• R
    Expert June 2024
    rachel2012 ·
    • Hide content

Thats incredibly cheeky and rude, I cant believe that someone would ask for a gift. The traditional gift for 10 years is aluminium and tin, with that in mind a gift of a tin can comes to mind!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics