Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

2b_MrsB
Beginner June 2013

Vows and Ring exchanging

2b_MrsB, 15 April, 2013 at 23:59 Posted on Planning 0 4

Hi Everyone.

I've not been around much for the last few weeks so I hope everyone is ok and their plans are coming together.

Our life has been upside down lately and wedding planner has been forced onto the back burner, but now we need to sort out our details for the registrar asap. Music is still anyones guess as we just can't agree on anything!! ? , thankfully we have agreed on declaration and contractual words so are now looking at vows/promises and words for exchanging rings.

For those that chose/ are choosing to make make promises/ vows to each other did you do your ring exchanging at the end of them or separately ?

We would both like to exchanging our rings immediately after our vows to each other

so something along these lines -

I, A..... ask you L ....

To be ...........

And ..........

I pledge ..............

I will ................

To share ....................

...............................life together

And I give you this ring as a sign of my love and commitment,

and as symbol of our marriage and the promises I have made to you today. ( too many ands ?? ?

Can both the vows and ring exchanges be done at the same time or do they need to be done separately?

Also since you don't actually HAVE to exchange rings I'm assuming there is no set words and you can choose your own wording ??

Regards

L x

4 replies

Latest activity by 2b_MrsB, 16 April, 2013 at 19:06
  • FlickAndZeb
    Beginner September 2013
    FlickAndZeb ·
    • Hide content

Nope, not too many 'ands' Smiley smile

And I think for a registry office ceremony ring exchange is optional? As are all the other additions that aren't declarations etc?? I may have just made that up lol

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

No you've not made it up, rings are optional regardless of where you marry.

Can anyone tell me how the ceremony is structured ?

Obviously the bride enters and the registrar welcomes everyone, but what then ? when are the readings read ?( we have 2) who decides this? in what order do the declaration, vows and ring exchange happen?

I probably already know this, but I can't seem to string 2 connecting thoughts together at the moment ! ...

* wonders if there is there such a thing as dyslexic thinking*

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

https://www.northamptonshire.gov.uk/councilservices/births-deaths-ceremonies

Here's the guidance from Northamptonshire, which gives you a basic 'standard' running order and a checklist to help you. I presume as it's a legal procedure that most counties will operate a similar service. Hope this helps

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

You can pretty much have it as you like, as long as you get the declarations and contracting words in, and the registrar is happy. Most will want a copy of the ceremony you want to approve it before the day.

I'd have the registrar welcome everyone to the ceremony, then introduce a first reading, then move to the no impediment declarations. Maybe a second reading then, followed finally by the contractual vows with ring exchange, before you're declared husband and wife.

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies that's a great help

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics