Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

HatTrick
Beginner September 2010

Wages being paid late?

HatTrick, 24 of September of 2012 at 17:48 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 16

H does a lot of overtime in his job, sometimes more than doubles his basic salary per month.

Last Month he did 70-odd hours of overtime, he was told today that they had him down as working 30. He made them check the system as this was incorrect and they realised they had made a mistake but are saying its too late now for these missed hours to be paid this week (when they are due) and he will have to wait and carry them over to next payday atv he end of Oct. He's paid double time after so many hours so this is a LOT of money.

I've told him to argue his case. It's their error not his. We have to order baby things which take weeks to come (cot etc) and I think It's ridiculous that he has to wait an extra month for it. These are hours he worked in August!

So, does he have a right to moan or does he have to put up and shut up?

16 replies

Latest activity by GeordieBarbie, 25 of September of 2012 at 13:36
  • W
    Beginner
    WhiteSparkles ·
    • Hide content

This happened to me some years ago and I kicked up a fuss. They gave me a cheque for the outstanding amount. Make him get on to payroll about it and just keep pestering them, like you say it is their mistake.

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

He's so laid back, said I'm a bunny boiler ?

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

I am sure he has a right to moan!

When we had payroll trouble some people were overpaid and they could decide when they paid it back. However those who were underpaid had to recieve their top up to correct wage ASAP... they were all in unions though, so maybe this had some effect? Also this was their regular wage rather than extra overtime.

• W
    Beginner
    WhiteSparkles ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

? my H would be the same. He should at least try to challenge it.

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all. I've told him he sorts it, or I do! Haha

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Ahhhhh hate when this happens.....As this is 'just' overtime I imagine they will be less accommodating as they will view it as an extra to usual wages. I have been given some of my wages out of petty cash or a cheque previously when all of my wages were not paid/paid correct amount.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I would challenge it, particularly as it is their error.

Our payroll dept will generally say "wait till next month" as a first answer but will make payments via CHAPS if pushed. They don't like doing it as it means manual calculations, and a fee for transferring the money.

If they do pay it in advance of next month he will most likely only receive 68%... basic rate tax and NI will be applied and then corrected the following pay run.

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

I would totally push this! a couple of hours is fine but not that amount. Their mistake, they need to sort it out. Good luck!

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

I'm confused with the tax thing. Will he be worse off having it all paid next month? I know it's 'only over time' but he only does he job because the o/t pays so well. He does at least 60 hours every month so it is like a regular income really (he is only contracted to 3 days).

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It should balance out eventually but it's because they calculate tax on an annualised basis.

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

This used to happen to me nearly every month my old job. Not over time but because for the last 18 months I had run out of sick pay but was always off sick so not being paid for it, my wages were different amounts each month and they were never ever right. Some months they paid me zero. Si I would spend ALL of pay day on the phone to Pay Services getting it sorted. There are various ways they can do it. They can do a CHAPS payment but most companies have an upper limit of how much they will pay using this method (ours was £450), or they would do me an "advance of pay" so they would give me what I was owed and on next months payslip there would be a minus for the amount I had been given, but it made no difference to hat next months pay IYSWIM. I always got what I was owed though. One month they tried to not pay me and being the little hot head I am I had a paddy and walked out and got the train home. It was in my account by the next day. (I do not advise this method, my boss was used to my temper by this point after 8 years working together and thankfully found me amusing.) I bought him a bottle of JD to say thanks for helping me the following day.

So in short, no I dont think he should just accept it! Fight for your rights Mr HT! Boil them bunnies!

ETA: I was very ill at the time not just ringing in sick for a laugh. I was waiting for my medical retirement to go through. Just re-read and realised that made me sound like a twat.

• N
    Beginner January 2008
    niche79 ·
    • Hide content

At my work we only pay CHAPS payments if you have your basic salary missing, otherwise, if it the employee's mistake i.e. they had not put the OT on their timesheet in time then we would make them wait until the next month but if it is our mistake we would pay it via BACS as an advance on the next months salary so yes HT, I would get him to kick up about it.

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all.

Niche he doesn't fill in a time sheet, the supervisor logs it on the system and it also goes from his card when he clocks in and out. So what has happened is the supervisor hasn't logged the overtime, he asked them yesterday how many hours he will be gettin paid (they won't tell him until late month) and there was a discrepancy so they checked back on the system at his clocking in and out.

He said the girl who does the payroll is going to see what she can do. I think he's scared of me ringing them up ?

• N
    Beginner January 2008
    niche79 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sorry, I didn't mean he had done his timesheet wrong, I was just using that as an example of how it may be the employee's fault at my work. In this instance I would say it is totally his works fault and they should sort it out asap.

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

Many moons ago I did payroll. It would be too late to go in with the normal pay, that's true. But they should be able to run an extra payroll for the discrepancy. I wouldn't think it would be done usually but as it's their error they should.

My payroll ran so that the payslips were given out the day before the money was due to be in the bank (we had to "send" it a few days in advance). Then, 2 days after pay day any discrepancy pay would be paid.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics