Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

F
Beginner June 2012

walk to the church!!!

futuremrsallen, 1 January, 2012 at 19:09 Posted on Planning 0 18

Hi everyone happy new year.

my hubby 2b and myself are getting married june 2nd 2012 we are taking our vows in our local church which is only 10 doors away from my parenrs house,i will be getting ready at my parents house so am thinking its really going 2b a silly idea to have a wedding car what are your views on walking to the church????ive had mixed reviews and im confused at what to do would be grateful for all your advive.

18 replies

Latest activity by looneysh, 5 January, 2012 at 11:01
  • V
    Beginner August 2013
    Victoria030384 ·
    • Hide content

My OH and i are getting married at a hotel and i will be staying there with my family the night before the wedding. I have decided that as i am only walking across the car park i dont have any reason to hire a wedding car and pay for something that will be used for about 20metres! My MIL2B suggested i have one for the sake of photos and i just laughed - this seemed even more ridiculous! I am thinking what other lovely stuff i could spend this money one instead (i am thinking some nice Jimmy Choo shoes?!)

• F
    Beginner June 2012
    futuremrsallen ·
    • Hide content

Haha that is the same as i am thinking also our children were christend at the same church and we all walked upto there aswell so would be a lovely little reminder also!!

• jen_84
    Beginner August 2012
    jen_84 ·
    • Hide content

If it's that close, then you may as well walk - be nice to walk along feeling like a princess anyway with all your parents neighbours around! Just beware in case you get bad weather - make sure you've got different shoes to walk in that you won't mind getting wet, a big umbrella and a bed sheet - my hairdresser said that if it's raining, you get a bed sheet, cut a hole in the middle which you then step through and then your dress can be gathered by the bed sheet and your bridesmaids can carry the bed sheet with the bottom of your dress in and it doesn't get ruined!

As for the mixed reviews - it's your wedding, so do what you feel comfortable with!

• F
    Beginner June 2012
    futuremrsallen ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the advice jen that is my main concern if we have bad weather my dress is very big and princess like so would be quite hard to keep it dry.x

• JennyH10
    Beginner May 2013
    JennyH10 ·
    • Hide content

I would totally walk, would be an absolute waste to pay for car to take you a couple of hundred yards purely because it's the "norm".

That advice from jen_84 about the sheet is absolutely brilliant, top idea!

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

Our church is less than a 5 min walk away from Mum's and I told her that it would be nice to walk. She was not a happy bunny and thought I was being silly. I've agreed to go in our campervan now, but if your church is only a few doors down then I'd stand your ground and walk because it sounds fun!

• JennyH10
    Beginner May 2013
    JennyH10 ·
    • Hide content

If you have bad weather the dress will get the same exposure walking to and from the car as it would walking down the road (plus creased when sitting on it)

• F
    Beginner June 2012
    futuremrsallen ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone well thats tha sorted im walking to the church ?

• jen_84
    Beginner August 2012
    jen_84 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Jenny! As I said, it was my hairdresser that told me - I would never have thought of it myself. It does make sense though and I guess, if you've got a big train, you just a get a sheet for a king size bed or something so it can all fit in. Although I'm getting a car (it's a 15 minute drive, so a bit too far to walk!) I will have one on standby to walk across the car park just in case it's wet (fingers crossed it won't be!).

• R
    Beginner June 2012
    Randomsabreur ·
    • Hide content

I've come to the conclusion that I'm walking. Hotel is about 10 doors down from Church, wrong way down one way street, given summer Saturday traffic, it would take anything between 10 minutes and 30 minutes to navigate one way system, turn out of minor road onto main road and arrive at the church, which would drive me crazy. Access from road to door of church has to be on foot and is at least 1/4 of the distance between hotel and church. Church to venue is across 1 road and then a pedestrianised square, so it would take longer exposed to the elements faffing trying to get me + dress into car and out again than it would to just brave the weather and walk for all possible journeys.

If the logistics were different I'd consider a car (i.e. covered porch with vehicular access both ends!) but can't really see the point, and I'm getting married in one of the wettest bits of England...

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Around 20ish years ago I did a wedding near to Victoria Park East London. brides home, wedding venue and reception were literally no further than 20 yards apart. She walked. Indeed, it was a longer walk in to the park for photos!!!!

So if walking works, why not? (and it saves some money on car hire)

Peter

• far2calm
    Beginner May 2012
    far2calm ·
    • Hide content

My mam has joked about this for years, and now the time has come I'm totally going to do it (weather permitting) my photographer thinks its a great idea, as the photos will be fun. Love the bed sheet suggestion.... will most certainly be looking into that!!!

• RedKitchie
    Beginner August 2013
    RedKitchie ·
    • Hide content

If I leave from my MIL2nbs house I will walk arm in arm with my family. Love the bed sheet idea, though it doesn't quite fit the picture of the journey in my head! As our reception is in the village hall, 5m walk from the church, I am considering buying a new clean wheelbarrow, putting ribbons on it, and getting my OH to 'drive' me to the reception! It would be a disaster if he tipped it over though as we will be going over the green.

If I need to get a car I am either: Getting my dad to clean his car and put ribbons on it. It isn't exciting, just a 4x4. Seems excessive to spend £300 on a car as the max I'll be travelling is 1mile; or, getting the local enthusiastic 2CV club to find a member who'll drive us for £50 or so. I love 2cvs and the wedding car hire places don't have them anyway.

So lots of ways to travel without hiring expensive wedding cars!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would loved to have walked to the church, espcially as the weather on our day was amazing. Make sure you leave enough time for a casual stroll rather than a mad dash though!!

On a side note - I am a 2CV fan!

Have you seen the white stretched 2CV? My dad was a member of 2CVGB up until he moved to Spain 2 years ago and sold our beloved Dolly!

• F
    Beginner June 2012
    futuremrsallen ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all so much for your great advice,i will most deff be walking to the church infact im feeling rather xcited about it now ? my bridesmaids all 6 of them plus our 2 flowergirls and our 2 sons will also be walking with us so will be a lovely memory for us all and im sure it will give my dad enough time to compose himself as he is already a nervous wreak haha.

• RedKitchie
    Beginner August 2013
    RedKitchie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh sorry Mrs C I thought I had replied to this but it hasn't appeared! I want a pastel coloured one with a canvas stripy roof. That was my favourite bit about the ones we used to have. Cruising down the motorway staring at the sky from the back seat. It will look so cute in the photos. ❤️

• NathalieSB
    NathalieSB ·
    • Hide content

In this case, walking sounds like a wonderful idea - and would make some great photo opportunities too! Think of the heads you will turn!

Just make sure that you scope out the weather. You will be walking quite slowly in your dress (especially if you have high heels on too!), so you don't want to:

a) be caught in any rain

b) get too hot and sweaty / rosy cheeks if it is a big dress on a very hot day

Would be good to get a rain proof parasole in preparation. Also, if the Church is so close, you could always have an emergency back up plan with a friend's car, that could be left at your parents house for collection at a later time, meaning that they could still drink at the reception! You can never be too organised for these things!

All the best.

• looneysh
    Beginner May 2012
    looneysh ·
    • Hide content

I'm walking to the castle where I'm getting married, it's about a 5 minute walk through an old cobbled town (i Think) not been to it yet but have been told it's only 5 minutes.

I'm really looking forward to the walk up, it will be exciting with everyone watching.....

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics