Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner May 2023 Norfolk

Walking down aisle

Lucy, 18 of May of 2023 at 14:19 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 5
Hi all, when walking down the aisle which side should the bride walk on? I am UK based. There are so many different wander online. 🙈

5 replies

Latest activity by Lex, 20 of May of 2023 at 09:34
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

I went down on the side that my family where on as my groom was stood on his side, but I have never really thought about if there is a right way. i honestly dont think it matters, you do it however you want. Or ask your registrar if the groom is on the left or right and then you go the opposite side

• H
    Expert November 2022 Lincolnshire
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content

I walked on my Dad's right arm and then I was between him and my fiance when we got to the front. I had expected his side would be sitting on the right so he would be stood in front of his parents and my Dad would have an empty chair behind him on the left to sit down easily. I noticed when we sat down to sign the register that actually our guests sat opposite to that and the empty chair left for my Dad was next to my in laws on the left.

So I suppose there isn't a right way and even if you plan a way, it might not work out like that but it won't be an issue. As long as whoever walks you down the aisle can get to a seat, then it will be fine.
  • K
    Savvy August 2023 Co Londonderry
    Katherine ·
    • Hide content

Hadnt really thought about that tbh. Though ive decided not to have brides side and grooms side for guests as those coming for me are about half the numbers for him (alot of his guests are work related contacts/members etc) .

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Do you mean which side of the person accompanying you, or which aisle?

Lots of venues only have one aisle. Where there are two, I've usually seen the bride enter via one aisle and leave via the other, so as many people as possible get a close up view of her. But it doesn't really matter.

If your query relates to the person you are walking with, it doesn't really matter unless you are having one of those super formal 'handing over' moments or there is very little space at the front, in which case, you need to make sure that the person walking with you is not between you and the groom so you don't have to edge round each other.

The other thing to think about is the photographer - with some venues, it will make sense for you to walk on a particular side for the photographer to get the best shots, so best to check if they have a preference. I went to a lot of weddings in one church which had windows down one side but not the other - it was traditional there for the bride to enter on the darker side and then the bride & groom to walk down the sunlit side after the ceremony (I think it had something to do with being quiet and solemn before the vows because it was such an important moment and then celebrating joyfully after!)

• Lex
    Dedicated July 2023 West Yorkshire
    Lex ·
    • Hide content
    I haven’t even thought about it?! 😭😂

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics