Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

G
Beginner May 2025 Greater Manchester

Walking down the aisle by myself

Gayle, 27 of February of 2024 at 19:04 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 1 13
Hi everyone Smiley smile

I’m just wondering if there is anyone on here that has/or is planning to walk down the aisle by themselves?
I’m getting married in May 2025 and my dad passed away 4 years ago. He was everything to me and it breaks my heart that he won’t be there to walk me down the aisle.
The question has been brought up of “who will walk you down the aisle?”.My gut feeling is to do it on my own because it was dad’s place to walk me down the aisle and something just doesn’t feel right to have anyone else do it.
The only other person I’d even consider is my brother to be honest, but I was just wondering if anyone on here had walked it alone and how did you get on? I only ask because I know it’ll be a tearful moment and I’m just debating the pros and cons of going it alone or asking my brother.
Thank you Smiley smile

13 replies

Latest activity by Jade, 16 of March of 2024 at 15:44
  • S
    Dedicated July 2024 West Midlands
    SL WaltonJones ·
    • Hide content
    Duchess of Sussex walked most of the way on her own then her future father-in-law joined her at the end and it was bey. Could you do something similar but with your brother?
  • G
    Beginner May 2025 Greater Manchester
    Gayle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I didn’t even think of that! That’s a really good suggestion to be fair, have the best of both that way Smiley smile

Thank you!
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

Yes I have seen plenty walk down by themselves ( but I have shot a lot of weddings) you could do as suggested by gale or have the groom come up and meet you have way.

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Another alternative is to meet your groom at the entrance and walk in with him. That's what we did, and we loved it. Waiting outside the entrance together was so special, and a photograph of us at that moment is my favourite one from the whole day.

• D
    Beginner October 2025 Nottinghamshire
    Danielle ·
    • Hide content

Hello,

angel i lost my dad 2 years ago going through the same feelings if you want to walk yourself then do it and carry something of your dad! - me personally i have asked my godfather (my dads bestfriend) and he is honoured too but i will be coming in to the sound of the TARDIS (dr who) my dads favourite TV show.

• Kristina
    Curious October 2025 Somerset
    Kristina ·
    • Hide content
    I am getting married next year and struggling to make a decision . My dad is not in the picture and won't be attending the wedding . My mum re married so I could ask my stepdad . This will be my 2nd marriage . And my stepdad already gave me a way 1st time round . So I really don't know what to do . Could I ask my mum ? Or stepdad again or just do it on my own ? Very hard to decide .
  • L
    Beginner May 2025 Bristol
    Laura ·
    • Hide content

Hey Gayle,

I'm also getting married in May 2025 and I'm walking down the aisle alone. I don't have any family, I think you just need to own it! Be confident, know that you'll look fabulous in your dress, and enjoy! I think you'll be too mesmerised in looking at your partner to worry. Smiley smile

Laura x

• R
    Beginner September 2026 Devon
    Rose ·
    • Hide content
    I’m getting married in 2026 and my fiancé and I have decided that he will meet me half way down the aisle and walk down together 🥰
  • Megan
    Beginner June 2025 Nottinghamshire
    Megan ·
    • Hide content

Hey lovely, I completely feel your pain. I lost my dad 19 years ago, I get married 2025 also and I thought for a while maybe I'll just walk alone, it'll be fine blah blah. But in the end, I've decided to put my mum in place of everything my dad would be doing. So I've chose her to walk me, and she will have a first look at the wedding dress on the day like you would normally do with dads etc. Good luck with all the planning!

Love Meg x

• M
    Beginner May 2025 Central & Glasgow
    Marie ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I get married next May and i am walking down the aisle myself - 2nd marriage. I have my 2 daughters as bridesmaids (19 and 15) walking in front of me. My dad will be attending but i don't feel the need to have my dad walk with me. I feel confident to do it my way knowing im going to meet my soulmate at the other end.

I do like the idea of the groom meeting you half way.

Either way do what makes you comfortable and happy xxx

• J
    Beginner September 2024 South West London
    Jam ·
    • Hide content
    Hiya,

I’m getting married this September and same position as you. Lost my dad 5years ago and mum in childhood. No one to walk me - I could ask my brothers but couldn’t choose between them so I might walk myself 😃
    I think having your brother walk you is such a lovely idea x
  • Nikkimerc
    Beginner May 2025 Lothian & Borders
    Nikkimerc ·
    • Hide content
    I'm also getting married in May 2025. I have decided I'm not walking down the aisle. Me and my partner want to be standing together waiting for our family to join us. Don't know if that would work for you or not. 😊
  • J
    Beginner April 2024 Lothian & Borders
    Jade ·
    • Hide content
    Why don’t you carry his pic in a frame with you? I’ve got a bouquet charm for my mum and brother but always thought, if I ever lost my dad before the wedding, I’d carry his pic in a frame. Thinking of you hun, it’s not easy planning a wedding without a parent x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics